King is the man....

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not seeing anything confirming this is the same hamsting that put King on IR last season. Last season's hammy injury was not minor. He injured it in the New England game and missed the last 8 games of the season. I see LaFleur paraphrases saying "not related" and "not necessarily related", whatever that's supposed to mean. I'd be more concerned if it is in fact the same leg. They're probably waiting a couple days for the swelling to go down to get clean MRI.

It's probably worth noting that Josh Jackson has yet to practice in camp with a foot injury.

Tony Brown is now your first team corner. For how long remains to be seen.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wager is that he will be on the field enough to help contribute for us make it to the playoffs. Plus the way I see it this is actually a good thing since it will hurt his value when it comes to resigning him and whatnot should he show potential. And again I didn't see this amount of frustration with Matthews who's *** could never stay healthy on the field.

Matthews, in his career, missed 23 regular season starts over 10 seasons with the Packers. Kevin King has missed 21 regular season starts over TWO seasons. Pretty sure that's why there's not an equal level of frustration.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews, in his career, missed 23 regular season starts over 10 seasons with the Packers. Kevin King has missed 21 regular season starts over TWO seasons. Pretty sure that's why there's not an equal level of frustration.

While I agree with your overall sentiment King missed a total of 17 games during his first two seasons with the teams. It's irrelevant that he didn't start in four of the games he participated in.

H

HardRightEdge

I seem to recall frustration with Matthews by mid-career, not just with the hamstrings but other injuries including having to play with a cast on his hand. The thing is the guy was a Pro Bowler / All Pro over his first 4 years, so one would be inclined to give him some slack. Even playing dinged up he was still a good player.

King, quite frankly, hasn't done sh*t. He hasn't demonstrated the ability of a Matthews or Bulaga to play well while being banged up let alone when healthy if that has ever been the case.

I'm not ready to write King off, but the prospectus on the guy is not good.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL....can we all just agree that King really can't be relied upon to start, finish or even suit up for a game?

Sure, he could be a solid player in the NFL, but if he is consistently unavailable he doesn't provide much to the defense or the team, except to take up a roster spot and cap space.

I'm not saying you cut the guy, but if the injury is significant enough, I would rather see him placed on IR and brought back later in the season, than have him take up a roster spot, try to play in week 3 and get injured again.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with your overall sentiment King missed a total of 17 games during his first two seasons with the teams. It's irrelevant that he didn't start in four of the games he participated in.

I was comparing apples-to-apples since I used games started for Matthews. If you just want to count games missed then Matthews' number would be at....17!

So, to your point, if you just wanna look at games missed, then both stand at 17...one after ten years in the league, one after two years.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was comparing apples-to-apples since I used games started for Matthews. If you just want to count games missed then Matthews' number would be at....17!

So, to your point, if you just wanna look at games missed, then both stand at 17...one after ten years in the league, one after two years.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely no doubt that King has missed way too man games over his first two seasons with the Packers.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer defense has a lot to prove this year. The last thing they need is a guy that is always injured. The words fragile and football go together like oil and water. I'll be happy to say it. Kevin King is a bust. It happens, move on.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer defense has a lot to prove this year. The last thing they need is a guy that is always injured. The words fragile and football go together like oil and water. I'll be happy to say it. Kevin King is a bust. It happens, move on.
It is too early to call him a bust!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
King may not be a bust yet, but the way things are measuring up, he is much closer to bust then boom and if you can't see that or admit to it, I think your hopes are clouding reality.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on how you define bust. A bust is someone who just can't play despite very high expectations. Like Vince Young or something and even he had some success in the NFL. I think of guys like Courtney Brown and Tim Couch. I have a tough time labeling someone who's just injured as a bust. To me, they're injured. i don't treat all less than desired production levels the same.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on how you define bust. A bust is someone who just can't play despite very high expectations. Like Vince Young or something and even he had some success in the NFL. I think of guys like Courtney Brown and Tim Couch. I have a tough time labeling someone who's just injured as a bust. To me, they're injured. i don't treat all less than desired production levels the same.

It's not fair but injury prone guys who were drafted highly are busts. Guys drafted in the first three rounds NEED to be good players on order for the team to succeed. If a guy drafted in that range, for whatever reason, can't or doesn't help in a big way then that player is a bust. Maybe my definition is different than others but I just think "bust" means a guy who doesn't help the team as much as someone drafted in his slot should help. Well, either that or Dolly Parton...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, it's how you define it. "Bust" carries a pretty negative connotation for me. A guy that by all accounts is a good teammate, good person and is working hard can't be a bust. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Jamarcus Russell, BUST. I wouldn't ever call a 3rd rounder a bust. Unless they busted because of drugs, their inability to treat women and others around them as actual human beings, or just plain laziness. By the 2nd round you're hoping for starter talent, and King is when he's healthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I said, it's how you define it. "Bust" carries a pretty negative connotation for me. A guy that by all accounts is a good teammate, good person and is working hard can't be a bust. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Jamarcus Russell, BUST. I wouldn't ever call a 3rd rounder a bust. Unless they busted because of drugs, their inability to treat women and others around them as actual human beings, or just plain laziness. By the 2nd round you're hoping for starter talent, and King is when he's healthy.

I get what you are saying that the term "bust" seems like a condemnation of the player as not living up to expectations due to things within his control. In the case of King, I think TT was getting defective merchandise from the start, not King's fault, TT's.

We are probably splitting hairs here, but if a high draft pick doesn't provide the team much in the way of returns on the field, to me, he goes down as a lost investment. Define that as a "bust, loss, bad move, bad luck, etc", doesn't really matter what the circumstances were or the semantics you want to use to describe it, if the return isn't there, its a negative outcome for the team and the player.

One thing I have noticed about King is his slight build. Not sure if that impacts his ability to stay healthy. I half expected to see him look more bulked up this year. I have no clue what his off season regiment is, but sure looks like he avoids the weight room.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This injury is not at all believed to be long-term or serious. I'm going to give it a long wait and see.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another big problem for King, he sat there and watched HaHa do virtually nothing and get praised plus paid for it. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a defense that wants to be good, wants to kick some rear ends and shows an attitude. I am sorry but injury prone girly men don't fit that criteria.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 games played in 2 seasons.

It’s hard to even evaluate the type of player King is with such a small sample size.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes I wonder what possess people to type the things they do

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes I wonder what possess people to type the things they do
Tell me about it. I'm still wrapping my mind how you can call someone a bust after two seasons. But again Adams didn't have necessarily first two seasons in the league, and I believe a handful of you guys were ready to give up on him. I hope King balls out this year just to see how many of you will back pedal in calling the dude a bust.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I'm still wrapping my mind how you can call someone a bust after two seasons. But again Adams didn't have necessarily first two seasons in the league, and I believe a handful of you guys were ready to give up on him. I hope King balls out this year just to see how many of you will back pedal in calling the dude a bust.
It seems to me that being patient with Davante Adams is totally different than being patient with Kevin King. Some guys that play offense can get away with not working as hard just by having god given talent and a big play mentality. You have to want to play defense. It takes a different motor. It's a kill or be killed mentality. Either King has terrible luck so far or he's soft. That's all I'm saying. Quite frankly, as bad as the secondary has been for awhile now, either step up or get out. I will be more than happy to say I'm wrong if that time comes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts