King is the man....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This dude is a special tallent. He is what we need to start shutting down offenses . Its been our weakness for many years... Our offense is explosive. But when it comes down to it, other good offenses can throw caution to the wind, and take big chunks when the game is on the line... Unacceptable.

Drafting king first is like laying a cornerstone. (I Havnt forgot Jones either. Dude has a fire burning and we need to throw some gas on it imo) And then Jackson/Alexander to back him up. Following it up with Savage this year...
Amos and williams in free agency.

Our secondary will be great without king.... But with king, this secondary will be shutting down qbs...

It starts and ends with our offensive line protecting #12. The defense lacks beef on the line. But has much more speed than I'm used to seeing. I'm eager to see the young guys step up and prove me wrong.

But if we do manage to put in a healthy year from our lines. They will be very good. And that's when this secondary will be on display...

Josh Jones has to see there isn't a cam chancellor on this defense... Thats his calling imo. Take that lb frame on a seek and destroy mission every play. Enough over thinking tweener bull crap. Bring that fire and light this mother up....

And king... He needs to not crush everything he sees. He needs to save that for playoffs. Go out there and run with the big dogs for a while.... Play ball king. Beat them at their own game. And when the playoffs come .... Then get nasty.

D

Deleted member 6794

This dude is a special tallent. He is what we need to start shutting down offenses . Its been our weakness for many years... Our offense is explosive. But when it comes down to it, other good offenses can throw caution to the wind, and take big chunks when the game is on the line... Unacceptable.

Drafting king first is like laying a cornerstone. (I Havnt forgot Jones either. Dude has a fire burning and we need to throw some gas on it imo) And then Jackson/Alexander to back him up. Following it up with Savage this year...
Amos and williams in free agency.

Our secondary will be great without king.... But with king, this secondary will be shutting down qbs...

It starts and ends with our offensive line protecting #12. The defense lacks beef on the line. But has much more speed than I'm used to seeing. I'm eager to see the young guys step up and prove me wrong.

But if we do manage to put in a healthy year from our lines. They will be very good. And that's when this secondary will be on display...

Josh Jones has to see there isn't a cam chancellor on this defense... Thats his calling imo. Take that lb frame on a seek and destroy mission every play. Enough over thinking tweener bull crap. Bring that fire and light this mother up....

And king... He needs to not crush everything he sees. He needs to save that for playoffs. Go out there and run with the big dogs for a while.... Play ball king. Beat them at their own game. And when the playoffs come .... Then get nasty.

The Packers would definitely benefit from King being able to stay healthy all season as well as his performance improving.

The secondary should be fine as long as Alexander, Amos and Savage play up to expectations though.

While it seems you still can't deal with the team not having huge guys on the defensive line the position group is most likely the best on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I love optimistic thinking, too much of it usually leads to disappointment. Every season we talk about young players "making the next step" or often injured players "staying healthy". King has to do both IMO and I am not expecting either. That isn't saying it can't or won't happen, but hard to ignore history and the known facts about him.

I do see the Packers with the potential to have one of the better secondaries that we have seen in quite sometime, but I also see a better DC and a better front 7, both of which should help take some pressure off the DB's.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The early comparison's of King to Richard Sherman probably have hurt expectations...

Those were obviously too high... but we will just have to see

D

Deleted member 6794

The early comparison's of King to Richard Sherman probably have hurt expectations...

Those were obviously too high... but we will just have to see

T.J. Watt, who a lot of fans wanted the Packers to select at the end of the first round in 2017, completely outperforming King over the first two seasons of their careers hasn't helped matters either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
T.J. Watt, who a lot of fans wanted the Packers to select at the end of the first round in 2017, completely outperforming King over the first two seasons of their careers hasn't helped matters either.

Add to that the Packers used the other pick acquired in that trade back to select Vince Biegel, who turned out to also be injured and a bust for the Packers, doesn't help either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Add to that the Packers used the other pick acquired in that trade back to select Vince Biegel, who turned out to also be injured and a bust for the Packers, doesn't help either.
Ted was only one for Vince.. Rest of room wanted TJ

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think alexander is the man. in one season he's already shown more than king has the whole time he's been here and it's not even close imo. it's this year or bust for king i think.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ted was only one for Vince.. Rest of room wanted TJ

I felt like a bit of a homer at the time, but was ecstatic when it appeared that TJ had dropped right into our laps. He may never end up being quite as great as his brother JJ, but as you watched him develop at Wisconsin, it was pretty obvious he was ascending and just getting bigger and better.

Oh well.....could have, should have...didn't. Could have been worse and the Packers had taken Reuben Foster or a host of other guys that didn't pan out. Fingers still crossed on King.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is at a crossroads. If he only plays half a season or so this year, and looks so so when he does play, I'd be more surprised than not if he was on the team next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF King stays healthy,, he's going to be just fine. I've seen enough to know that already. Unfortunately having loose shoulders seems to be a problem and that's likely not changing for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I predict that King will improve this year, see limited action due to injuries and then his final year of his rookie deal, he will somehow stay healthy and look like a stud! Putting the Packers into a "Nick Perry situation".

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think alexander is the man. in one season he's already shown more than king has the whole time he's been here and it's not even close imo. it's this year or bust for king i think.
Dude have you forgotten how good King played his first year prior to him getting injured? I swear 2 years and we're ready to call it quits. That is way too early to do so. The dude compliments Jaire very well imo. King is more physical of the two while Alexander overall has a better eye for the ball. The only issue is that King gets hurt. You guys make it sound like he's bad.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude have you forgotten how good King played his first year prior to him getting injured? I swear 2 years and we're ready to call it quits. That is way too early to do so. The dude compliments Jaire very well imo. King is more physical of the two while Alexander overall has a better eye for the ball. The only issue is that King gets hurt. You guys make it sound like he's bad.

I think most people have been relatively impressed with what King has done when on the field. 99% of the criticism comes from the fact that he can't stay healthy.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people have been relatively impressed with what King has done when on the field. 99% of the criticism comes from the fact that he can't stay healthy.
Injuries happen. It's not necessarily his fault now is it?

D

Deleted member 6794

King is at a crossroads. If he only plays half a season or so this year, and looks so so when he does play, I'd be more surprised than not if he was on the team next year.

I fully expect the Packers to hold on to King as long as he's still on his rookie deal even if he suffers another injury forcing him to miss significant time this season.

Injuries happen. It's not necessarily his fault now is it?

It's not King's fault that he seems to be injury-prone but he doesn't help the Packers while being sidelined.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look at their stat lines...
king- https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KingKe01.htm
alexander- https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlexJa00.htm
and alexander's played in 2 fewer games. king is just-a-guy compared to alexander...plus king's got to stay on the field. if he can't he'll go down as a bust.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and alexander's played in 2 fewer games. king is just-a-guy compared to alexander...plus king's got to stay on the field. if he can't he'll go down as a bust.
King is better than just a guy. Alexander might be an exceptional player starting out, but it doesn't mean King is nothing. He IS a compliment to Alexander with how he plays and his body stature. He can be great in his own way and even if he never gets any better, just stays healthy he'll be pretty good for us. Definitely more than JAG. Stats don't tell the full story. King was often playing DB with one arm if he was even cleared to play. His play doesn't worry me in the least, his health does.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop it. He isn't just a guy compared to Alexander. Alexander had the better year no doubt and I think overall he's better, but King is one of our best corners when on the field, and one of our most physical ones at that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is better than just a guy. Alexander might be an exceptional player starting out, but it doesn't mean King is nothing. He IS a compliment to Alexander with how he plays and his body stature. He can be great in his own way and even if he never gets any better, just stays healthy he'll be pretty good for us. Definitely more than JAG. Stats don't tell the full story. King was often playing DB with one arm if he was even cleared to play. His play doesn't worry me in the least, his health does.
i said compared to alexander he is. hey, i hope he has a break-out year. it's very important to the Packers that he does so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stop it. He isn't just a guy compared to Alexander. Alexander had the better year no doubt and I think overall he's better, but King is one of our best corners when on the field, and one of our most physical ones at that.

Those are the key words to this whole "debate". In King's 2 years in GB, he has played less than 1/2 the snap counts then many of the starters. I also have to wonder how many of those plays he participated in, he was at 100%. I realize why some of you think he could be a better than average CB, but if he can't stay on the field, he doesn't do a lot of good for the team. I liken it a bit to Nick Perry, when healthy, he was a pretty solid OLB, but otherwise, he was either not playing or trying to play through an injury. Perry at least had a few dominating performances, King not so much.

So sure, King has the potential to be a solid NFL CB, but he will never be one if his injuries keep him off the field.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont like expecting injuries from players.... King came in to dominate, and the NFL cracked the chrome a bit. But imo. Just like I said before. If he plays controlled and, hate to say it, less physical. He will dominate. The dude can out play the wrs. He just needs to take a lesson from al harris on how to take out ankles instead of trying to level rbs who are thicker than him.... Until the playoffs. Then crush everyone.... Imo.

But yea. King is the man. I'm sure of this.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like King but I think TJ Watt would've had more of an immediate impact on the team. We need pash rushers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I like King but I think TJ Watt would've had more of an immediate impact on the team. We need pash rushers.

While I definitely agree that Watt would have had a bigger impact than King hopefully the Packers have enough pass rushers after signing the Smiths in free agency this offseason.

Members online

Latest posts