1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kiln Mississippi

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by carol k, Jan 8, 2008.

1. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We are heading to Green Bay tomorrow, Door County on Thursday, and a caravan of about 20 people are heading to Kiln, Mississippi to help build houses for the victims of Katrina.

So far, the group from Door County has put 43 families into their homes. This is our first time to be in Kiln helping out. When we were there in November, we were just having fun. Mississippi had more damage done to it than New Orleans, but you never hear about that.

We will be watching the Pack dominate the Seahawks at the Broke Spoke in Kiln on Saturday.

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Other then being at Lambeau, where i will be Saturday, what better place could you be then at the Broke Spoke watching a Packer game?
    Have fun there Carol! And watch for an overweight guy running naked on the field! :wink: (I wouldn't really do it.........i wouldn't want to get kicked out!)
    God bless you for helping out down there! :D

3. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a safe trip Carol, and its great that you are helping people get back on their feet.

Have fun watching the Pack dominate the Seahawks in Kiln how cool will that be.

God Bless.. :)

4. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't been on here for quite a while. There have been so many things going on.

First of all, the trip to Kiln was very enlightening. There is so much damage down there--yet!!!!!!!!!!!! We worked on two different houses while we there. On that block, there were between 35-40 lots, and only 4 houses have been rebuilt, and they are not finished yet.

When I came home, I looked at our modest home, and was very thankful that we at least had a place to live--unlike so many in Mississippi.

There are still people living in tents underneath the overpass. How sad for them.

On the brighter side--Mabel and Stevie Haas (owners of the Broke Spoke) cooked every day for us. And are they good cooks. However, I couldn't bring myself to eat the crayfish.

One day, Bonita Favre, her daughter-in-law, granchildren, and sister were at the Broke Spoke. We were able to meet them all. We had met Bonita about 3 years ago on the Players' Cruise.

If anyone ever gets a chance to go to Mississippi to help out, take the opportunity. It makes one feel good, and the people are so appreciative of it. I even got a hug from Bill the Bartender at the Broke Spoke when we left.

We got back into GB on that cold day when the Pack played the Giants and went to Fuzzy Thurston's to watch them play. We were disappointed, but at least the Giants beat the Patriots.