Kiko Alonso

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miami is shopping him, I think with our issues with MLB the Packers should contact Miami. I’ve always liked his style of play.

H

HardRightEdge

It's an interesting thought. Alonso played as an ILB in Pettine's defense in Buffalo in 2013 as a rookie. He made the NFL All Rookie team for what it's worth.

He wouldn't be cheap, though. Even with Miami having to eat the last two years of his prorated signing bonus, the Packers would assume:

2019: $6.5 mil salary, all cap and cash in 2019
2020: $6.4 mil in salary and a little workout bonus, all cap and cash in 2020

If he didn't work out, he could be cut after 2019 with no strings attached, no dead cap.

Of course, the questions are:

Why does Miami want to get rid of him? Is there any reason to believe he's no longer a decent player? What will they expect in trade?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My guess is that they won't find a suitor and he will be cut.

H

HardRightEdge

My guess is that they won't find a suitor and he will be cut.
That's usually how it goes, Daniels being a recent example close to home. A possible advantage to a trade is the easy out in his contract after one year, no dead cap. In FA, there may be competition leading to a two or three year deal. That's if Alonzo is still a decent football player. I have no basis to judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

For lack of any other information and no first hand observations, I'll mention that Alonzo got bad grades from PFF the last two seasons, around 50. One report said he got beat up in one-on-one coverages in 2017 and they adjusted the defense to keep him from being exposed. Then he still scored around 50. Miami fans seem to like him, coaches have their own grades, he'd be playing inside in Green Bay as he did his rookie season in Buffalo with Pettine, so a different position. But this other stuff is out there for consideration.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is being in the RIGHT system. As mentioned He was a stud in Pettines system, so I don’t see any other reason why the Packers wouldn’t want to sign him. As for his salary if the Packers cut tramon Williams they can save some money. But even if they don’t, they still have enough cap to sign Alonso.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes all it takes is being in the RIGHT system. As mentioned He was a stud in Pettines system, so I don’t see any other reason why the Packers wouldn’t want to sign him. As for his salary if the Packers cut tramon Williams they can save some money. But even if they don’t, they still have enough cap to sign Alonso.

They're not cutting Tramon.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should be all over this trade. ILB has major question marks. If we can get him for anything under a 4th rounder I think they should do that. Then they'd have to get a little creative to get some cap room.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds like a hefty price tag for a guy cut by a mediocre team. I'm with others, inclined to see if we can get him on the open market. We have some advantages over other teams, such as his original DC and a good chance to be a starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers currently have enough cap space to trade for Alonso they will need most of it to extent players currently on the roster or to improve the team via free agency.

There's definitely a need to upgrade the inside linebacker position but $6.5 million on top of having to give up a draft pick for a player who hasn't performed up to expectations lately seems like a hefty price to me.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers currently have enough cap space to trade for Alonso they will need most of it to extent players currently on the roster or to improve the team via free agency.

There's definitely a need to upgrade the inside linebacker position but $6.5 million on top of having to give up a draft pick for a player who hasn't performed up to expectations lately seems like a hefty price to me.

Lol the Saints got him for Vince Biegel. Let that sink in.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo the team that represents the NFC is going to have to go through them. They have playmakers at every level of offense and defense.

Yep, good balance of win-now moves (cook, jumping on murray after losing ingram) and hitting the jackpot on their recent drafts (Thomas, Lattimore, Kamara, maybe Davenport). We'll see how they do after losing their center, but overall they look like a force. It's going to be hard for teams to compete with KC though, and maybe even Cleveland. They both look ridiculous on paper.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, good balance of win-now moves (cook, jumping on murray after losing ingram) and hitting the jackpot on their recent drafts (Thomas, Lattimore, Kamara, maybe Davenport). We'll see how they do after losing their center, but overall they look like a force. It's going to be hard for teams to compete with KC though, and maybe even Cleveland. They both look ridiculous on paper.

But KC and Cleveland are in the AFC...I’m strictly talking about the NFC. I currently can’t see us beating them or Even the Rams if we have to go on the road if we make the playoffs.

Reaction score
Particularly at a time of year when there is a pool of qualified candidates to assume that role at a fraction of the cost and zero future draft collateral damage

Reaction score
But KC and Cleveland are in the AFC...I’m strictly talking about the NFC. I currently can’t see us beating them or Even the Rams if we have to go on the road if we make the playoffs.
We were a self defeating fumble away from beating the Rams on the road last year. That being with a 6 win team. Why on earth could we not beat them this year? Why are so many people suddenly so afraid of the Rams? They have a good football program, but they are very beatable.

Also, who is saying they don't come to GB in January? I'm still wondering why so many fans have given up on the Pack.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were a self defeating fumble away from beating the Rams on the road last year. That being with a 6 win team. Why on earth could we not beat them this year? Why are so many people suddenly so afraid of the Rams? They have a good football program, but they are very beatable.

Also, who is saying they don't come to GB in January? I'm still wondering why so many fans have given up on the Pack.

I wonder too. I think GB has a legitimate shot @ making a deep playoff run. The defense is clearly improved. The O-Line has more/better depth. Receivers have a more experience. TE group is versatile. RBs are hungry. Secondary (if healthy) could be a force. D-Line could create the necessary pressure to vault the D into Top 10 overall. With Matt LaFleur bringing a new scheme that creates mismatches and lessens the burden of AR12 performing miracles week after week, this is a complete team. They just have to play consistent complimentary football. They could be the Rams of the 2018 season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The angst over a knucklehead who also isn't very good at football by all accounts is pretty funny.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts