Kickoff Rule Changes Approved

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
NFL considering altering kickoff rules and instant replay

SportsFanLive.com: NFL considering altering kickoff rules and instant replay

My thoughts on the kick-off change are positive if it will lesson injuries.
Instant replay from the booth throughout the game? Maybe not such a bad idea for another set of eyes when the on-field officials miss something or make a bad call. (yes, that really happens)

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Gotta be honest, I'm looking forward to this thread because I'm not totally sure how I feel about the changes. I think it works to our advantage now, but it removes any future advantage we might hope to gain.
I don't know that the review of scores will matter much since many close ones are challenged by the coaches now. I am concerned that it has the potential to slow the game down, but I guess it is better to get the call correct than it is to get the call quickly.

OP
OP
GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I keep thinking about the Bears victory over Lions in their first match-up last year. I realize it was a an interpretation of the rules but seriously, something was not right about that win for Chicago. Maybe if someone else had a voice in the final decision, the Lions would have gotten the touchdown & ultimately, the game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Not a fan of the proposed kickoff rule change. Why change something that is working so well? Would instantly diminish the importance of Special Teams in the game today.

Would just make the Packers now, look even better.

I am for the ST rules, bigger risk/reward of what the kicker should do. The instant replay one on scores will be abused.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We might as well start playing Flag Football if they want to do these changes.

And I thought the Overtime rule change last year was horrible, this is even worse.

Anyone read where they want to ban pass rush? Like the tuck rule isn't enough. They want to add a penalty for "hitting the quarterback while he's throwing the ball". If we do that, then lets just say no to blitzing and ban pass rush. Under the Tuck rule, I can count a hundred passes from the 80's and 90's that would be incomplete and not fumbles. According the Tuck rule, the 49ers would have won the 1990 NFC Championship.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep status quo. All three aspects of the game need to be executed perfectly to win a game. It is a team sport afterall.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
That's what the league is forgetting.

Go ahead and let them change the rules and destroy the game even more. We've had the same kick off rules for 50+ YEARS. We had the same Overtime rules since our existence and they destroyed that because some Vikings fans *****ed last year. Once they ban pass rush and blitzing, along with the new penalty of making pass interference even more easy than it already is, we will be on the road for a lock out. They want a lock out,they might get it now.

The last couple of weeks I've been watching old VHS tapes of games from the 80's and early 90's with a few friends. Roger Goodell needs to watch some of these old tapes and he would see exactly how bad they are destroying the game. There is countless of quarterback fumbles that would have been "incomplete passes" with the Tuck rule; including a BIG one in the 1990 NFC Championship that put points on the board. From watching Bills a footage in their prime era, you'd see roughing the quarterback flags every single play on Bruce Smith if they were in today's era.

Peyton Manning and Brady set records for 50 TD's in a single season, but it don't seem that fascinating as Marino's 48 TD's in '84, since back then the rules didn't favor quarterbacks. Just think if Marino, Moon, and Montana would have played in today's era with the newer rules, it could have been possible for them all to get rings besides just Joe Cool.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been aproved: Owners Approve New Kickoff, Replay Rules | Cheesehead TV

Kickoffs are gonna be executed at 35, the touchback will still be at 20, but more importantly, the coverage unit can't have a running start anymore.

This essencially kills the onside kick. It'll be virtually impossible for them to recover without that running start.

This will change ST dramatically.

Actually, the no running start isn't confirmed. So nevermind.

Scout200

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today, the NFL chose to move the kickoff to the 35-yard line as opposed to the 30-yard line... how do you think this will effect the game?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merged threads.

As I said before, it'll no doubt increase touchbacks, but what worries me is the running start on coverage units. If it's been moved to be shorter, like 5 yards, I'm ok with it.

But if it has been banned altogether, it'll make recovering onside kicks pratically impossible.

One thing without knowing that, though. It automatically makes out coverage units better, given Crosby's leg (if Slocum gets his head out of his rear and stops with the directional kicking and let Crosby boom it).
This Packers team, with all the injuried guys back, and with decent kickoff coverage, which was the biggest weakness on our ST unit?

It's almost not fair to the rest of the league.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well, as many times as the Packers special teams have given up kickoff returns past the 35 yard line, how could I not like these changes?

Although I would love to hear what Devon Hester has to say about it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, as many times as the Packers special teams have given up kickoff returns past the 35 yard line, how could I not like these changes?

Although I would love to hear what Devon Hester has to say about it.
Well there you go!
Chicago Bears' Lovie Smith cites Devin Hester, rips kickoff changes - ESPN Chicago
They're going too far. They're changing the whole fun of the game," Hester said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "Fans come out -- especially in Chicago -- to see returns. That's one of the key assets to the team. Fans [like] our big returns. You take that out of the game, not only do they kick it out of bounds when it's time to punt the ball, now you get the disadvantage on kickoffs. We felt we were guaranteed [a chance] on kickoff returns and now you're taking that away, it's like you're taking the whole return game out of the picture."

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what the league is forgetting.

Go ahead and let them change the rules and destroy the game even more. We've had the same kick off rules for 50+ YEARS.

Actually this partially reverts the changes to the Kickoffs to the way it was for 50+ years.

They used to kick off at the 35... then moved it back to the 30 so they would get more kickoff returns. Now that they've had more kickoffs returned... they've decided they don't want them as much.

So they've changed it back to the way it was... cept now you only get a 5' yard run up with your kickoff team.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merged threads.

As I said before, it'll no doubt increase touchbacks, but what worries me is the running start on coverage units. If it's been moved to be shorter, like 5 yards, I'm ok with it.

But if it has been banned altogether, it'll make recovering onside kicks pratically impossible.

One thing without knowing that, though. It automatically makes out coverage units better, given Crosby's leg (if Slocum gets his head out of his rear and stops with the directional kicking and let Crosby boom it).
This Packers team, with all the injuried guys back, and with decent kickoff coverage, which was the biggest weakness on our ST unit?

It's almost not fair to the rest of the league.

Another thing the new rules will majorly affect... and I haven't seen that addressed anywhere.

Can you guess?????

Onside Kicks
... with only having 5' to get a running start... it's going to be pretty hard to do those now.

1) I think you will see a lot more deliberate ones where you have WR and CB's start out in a track start in order to get the momentum needed.
2) Or they will actually start running 'sideline to sideline' so they are moving full speed.
3) And if you are going to try to do a sneaky one... then it will have to be a punter 'keeper' where he kicks to himself.

They only have 5'.. they may start doing 1 and 2 even on normal kickoffs.

L

Lunchboxer

Hey the packers dont have to fire slocum now. Sence on kickoffs it would most likey be a touchback.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the rule. How many times did Jordy barely get it out past the 15 anyways? The Pack is used to starting from the 20ish most of the time so offensively I don't think it hurts this team. What it does do is keep ****** offensive teams like the bears from having ridiculous field position because they are good at the return game. I can't count the number of times they started off from the 40+ regardless of whether it was manning or hester returning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts