Khalil Jones Moved to Safety

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed a bit strange when the Packers signed Khalil Jones to the practice squad in late December. After all, the rookie caught only 13 passes in four seasons at the University of Miami and he wasn’t even ranked as one of the top 100 wide receivers available in the 2009 draft. So why did Ted Thompson not only add Jones to the practice squad but then sign him to a futures contract a few weeks later? Well, we may have gotten our answer while perusing through the roster on Easter Sunday. The 24-year-old is no longer a wide receiver. Instead, his job now will be to keep players like Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones from catching the ball.
Jones has been moved to safety, and all of a sudden, his place on the 80-man roster makes a little more sense. While the odds of the Jones making a successful switch from offense to defense are long, the odds of him sticking in the National Football League as a wide receiver were astronomical. He clearly has the size (6-1, 215) and speed (4.55) to play in the secondary; whether he has the ability remains to be seen. The only thing for certain about this unusual move is that Jones will get a lot more looks on defense than he would’ve gotten on offense in the coming weeks. That’s because there are seven wide receivers on the current roster and only three safeties. Oops, make that four safeties.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=3130

I think we have spent more time this off season worrying about having cheep talent for the practice squad than we did looking at possible free agents. I guess with the depth of the draft and the week unrestricted free agent market, it makes sense.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed a bit strange when the Packers signed Khalil Jones to the practice squad in late December. After all, the rookie caught only 13 passes in four seasons at the University of Miami and he wasn’t even ranked as one of the top 100 wide receivers available in the 2009 draft. So why did Ted Thompson not only add Jones to the practice squad but then sign him to a futures contract a few weeks later? Well, we may have gotten our answer while perusing through the roster on Easter Sunday. The 24-year-old is no longer a wide receiver. Instead, his job now will be to keep players like Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones from catching the ball.

Jones has been moved to safety, and all of a sudden, his place on the 80-man roster makes a little more sense. While the odds of the Jones making a successful switch from offense to defense are long, the odds of him sticking in the National Football League as a wide receiver were astronomical. He clearly has the size (6-1, 215) and speed (4.55) to play in the secondary; whether he has the ability remains to be seen. The only thing for certain about this unusual move is that Jones will get a lot more looks on defense than he would’ve gotten on offense in the coming weeks. That’s because there are seven wide receivers on the current roster and only three safeties. Oops, make that four safeties.

http://packerupdate.net/?p=3130

I think we have spent more time this off season worrying about having cheep talent for the practice squad than we did looking at possible free agents. I guess with the depth of the draft and the week unrestricted free agent market, it makes sense.

Sounds like a 2 or 3 year project, maybe he makes the squad this year for special teams play. Due to changing positions he will more than likely need another year on the practice squad.

I am surprised we don't see more of this, taking the most athletic guy that may have been playing a position in college more out of need and lack of talent, transfering him to a lesser position.

Members online

Latest posts