Keyshawn Johnson released

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get Keyshawn. Averaged 70 catches a season for the past 5 years and is a total team guy and one of the best blocking WR in history. Not a deep threat but a weapon inside the 40 and we need that. Other than Driver and Jennings we don't have a proven NFL receiver. What good is cap space if you don't use it.

zero
possesion reciever, deep threat whatever you wanna call a receiver.

numbers dont lie... and hes still one of the best in the game... a weapon inside the 40, and THE best blockin WR in the game. I wanted moss here bad because i thought for a second he might have changed and still had some play in him.... but i KNOW Key still has some game left in him... because he was very solid last year... and that was with the homeless mans brett favre (jake Delhomme) whats wrong with having 3 guys YOU KNOW will catch the ball and play.

we got deep threats in young guys like jones and clowney... in the WCO you wanna keep moving the chains. and MM does love big, good hands recievers. i think its a solid match and makes more sense actually than Moss cause hed be cheaper and more of a sure thing. But alas it aint gonna happen. and thats ok cause i feel pretty good about our WR now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Get Keyshawn. Averaged 70 catches a season for the past 5 years and is a total team guy and one of the best blocking WR in history. Not a deep threat but a weapon inside the 40 and we need that. Other than Driver and Jennings we don't have a proven NFL receiver. What good is cap space if you don't use it.

zero
possesion reciever, deep threat whatever you wanna call a receiver.

numbers dont lie... and hes still one of the best in the game... a weapon inside the 40, and THE best blockin WR in the game. I wanted moss here bad because i thought for a second he might have changed and still had some play in him.... but i KNOW Key still has some game left in him... because he was very solid last year... and that was with the homeless mans brett favre (jake Delhomme) whats wrong with having 3 guys YOU KNOW will catch the ball and play.

we got deep threats in young guys like jones and clowney... in the WCO you wanna keep moving the chains. and MM does love big, good hands recievers. i think its a solid match and makes more sense actually than Moss cause hed be cheaper and more of a sure thing. But alas it aint gonna happen. and thats ok cause i feel pretty good about our WR now.

Numbers don't lie? If I didn't have to make a media website for web authoring an scripting for friday nights class I would POUND you with numbers that provide FALSE sense of security.

There is a difference between deep threat and possession. Maybe you should learn what it is.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey buddy lets simmer down... were cool.

i know theres a difference. what im saying is... Moss dropped several passes the last couple years and hasnt looked very good at all (i was for moss coming and was willing to overlook that in my excitement) and Keyshawn has performed very well the last two years.

i was just merely saying that if WE were so gung ho about Moss and his crappy numbers, WE should be equally excited about a guy who has outperformed Moss, and kept a much lower profile while doing so. and even though hes not fast... (DD and Jennings arent necessarily slow mind you) it would never hurt to have a guy that you absolutely know can still move the chains. ya dig?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If we pick him up, cool, I just hope its not at the expense of a young promising WR though. Keyshawn has many one or two years left in his tank. That's my opinion.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is 8 recievers too many to keep on the roster. Mind you adding keyshawn would let these younger guys learn on the job while key was here. then after hes gone in 2 years they are ready???? maybe.
Keep
Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
Keyshawn Johnson
Koren Robinson
Ruvell Martin
Carlisle Holiday
James Jones
David Clowney

Cut
Shawn Bodiford
Chris Francies
Calvin Russell
Carlton Brewster

Trade Robert Ferguson - or cut him

regardless. thats the beauty of Ted Thompsons plan and execution.
Looking at our Wide outs one might say... they could use some work maybe. now that we have cap room thanks to TT, you add a guy like key or moss... and the WR corp starts looking like one of the best in the league.

thanks to good depth, and great cap management.... we can have these conversations.

i def. wouldnt cut carlton brewster......from what ive seen hes been beasting NFL Europe in yards and receptions.......but as for keyshawn i doubt hell make it here for the same reasons everyone else is saying, younger players needing PT and hes prolly towards the end of his career.

plus TT doesnt seem to like older men...haha

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im hoping it wont be at the expense of a young reciever.... but at the expense of Fergie.. id be more than happy to add a 70 catch guy over a 70 injuries guy.

and he will go over the middle unlike Fergie..(i cant really blame him, id be in a wheelchair if i was him). I say cut Fergie man, get it over with and bring in Keyshawn for a couple years.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Is 8 recievers too many to keep on the roster. Mind you adding keyshawn would let these younger guys learn on the job while key was here. then after hes gone in 2 years they are ready???? maybe.
Keep
Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
Keyshawn Johnson
Koren Robinson
Ruvell Martin
Carlisle Holiday
James Jones
David Clowney

Cut
Shawn Bodiford
Chris Francies
Calvin Russell
Carlton Brewster

Trade Robert Ferguson - or cut him

regardless. thats the beauty of Ted Thompsons plan and execution.
Looking at our Wide outs one might say... they could use some work maybe. now that we have cap room thanks to TT, you add a guy like key or moss... and the WR corp starts looking like one of the best in the league.

thanks to good depth, and great cap management.... we can have these conversations.

i def. wouldnt cut carlton brewster......from what ive seen hes been beasting NFL Europe in yards and receptions.......but as for keyshawn i doubt hell make it here for the same reasons everyone else is saying, younger players needing PT and hes prolly towards the end of his career.

plus TT doesnt seem to like older men...haha

the people on that cut list will be cut anyway.... brewster included. that list of WRs who made it wont be that big either probally.

If Key does come in... id be ok with this lineup.
DD, Key, Jennings, and K-rob,

Depth
DD
Key
Jennings
K-rob
Martin
Jones
Clowney.
thats 7 already and if anyone else makes it, you gotta think it would be holiday. i could see us carrying 8 WR on this roster especially if we get key. cause Jones an Clowney will probalyl be used specifically on Special Teams.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: May 3, 2007

The Green Bay Packers are one of the teams that has some interest in recently released Carolina Panthers receiver Keyshawn Johnson, but whether they're willing to make a stronger play for him than they did Randy Moss remains to be seen.

Keyshawn Johnson caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four touchdowns with Carolina last season.

According to an NFL source with strong connections to Johnson, the Packers are doing their homework on the 11-year veteran and are considering whether he would be a good fit for their team.

"I think their interest is legitimate," the source said.

Johnson, 34, was released by the Panthers Monday, after spending the weekend as an ESPN draft analyst, at one point lauding Carolina for its decision to draft Southern California receiver Dwayne Jarrett, whose selection made it possible for Johnson's release. In his only season with the Panthers, Johnson caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four touchdowns, serving as the team's No. 3 receiver.

Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, did not return a phone message, but two sources said they thought Johnson would receive a considerable amount of interest around the National Football League despite his age. Johnson played hard for the Panthers, has never been a speed burner so there's no concern he's going to lose it all at once and continues to be productive.

Stanley told ESPN Wednesday that "several teams have expressed interest in Johnson and that he does have offers." However, he declined to identify any of the teams.

Among the teams Johnson and his agent are thought to be concentrating on are the Packers, Seattle, the New York Giants, San Francisco, Tennessee and the New York Jets. Johnson entered the NFL as the No. 1 overall pick of the Jets in 1996, was traded to Tampa Bay for two first-round picks in 2000 and played four years in Tampa Bay, two in Dallas and one in Carolina.

The 6-foot-4, 211-pound Johnson could provide a big boost for the Packers' sorry red zone offense because he's good running across the middle and he's physical enough to win jump balls in the end zone. In 11 seasons, he has 64 touchdowns, including 16 in the last three seasons. He has caught at least 70 passes in each of those campaigns.

More than likely, the Packers are throwing their hat in the ring to find out whether the outspoken Johnson would be a good fit for a team with a young receiving corps. The Packers added two receivers - San Jose State's James Jones and Virginia Tech's David Clowney - in the draft and are eager to give them, as well as youngsters Greg Jennings, Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday and Shaun Bodiford, a chance to prove themselves.

They remain high on the receiver group despite the fact only veteran Donald Driver has been shown himself to be a reliable starter. Adding Johnson wouldn't have the impact a rejuvenated Moss would, but he comes with less baggage and could help the Packers in their quest to get into the end zone more often.

"He'll work ******* Sunday," the source said. "He doesn't have a lot of speed or quickness, but he's big going over the middle. When you don't have a tight end, he's basically your tight end."

Scouts say Johnson isn't much into practicing and requires some special treatment from the coaching staff, but his only real down side in the locker room is that he likes to talk a lot, especially to reporters. He had a well-documented dispute with Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden that resulted in him being deactivated for six games in '03 and then released, but most of his antics are harmless.

"If there's an older guy at quarterback who can tell him to shut up in the huddle, then he'll be fine," said a scout who has studied Johnson.

It's unclear how high the market for Johnson will go, but it's likely he'll get between $1 million and $2 million for this season, which is not an exorbitant price for a 70-catch receiver. If the Packers are serious, they'll probably have to be the high bidder because Johnson has two children in Los Angeles and would prefer to be close to them, the source said.

Bring it on: Kicker Dave Rayner was vacationing in the Dominican Republic when the Packers selected Colorado kicker Mason Crosby in the sixth round.

When contacted about the move, Rayner said, "Oh, OK."

"That was about it," said the kicker's agent, Paul Sheehy. "I know a lot of people think it's a big issue, but in my experience competition makes everybody better. Dave is not afraid of competition."

Crosby is known to have the strongest leg of any kicker coming out of college this year, but suffered a subpar senior season and was drafted lower than where most people expected him to go. Rayner and Crosby are similar in that they both have strong legs and excel at kickoffs. Both need to be more consistent on field goals.

"It's not like they picked a guy on the first day," Sheehy said. "I live in Colorado and got a chance to see Crosby and he is a great kicker. It's not surprising they took him there. It was a value pick. All teams do that."

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be very ironic if Keysh ended up here considering the fact Carolina cut him loose after drafting Jarrett...two picks in front of us.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if TT made more of an effort for Key than he apparently did for Moss. Moss was coming off two subpar seasons with a terrible attitude while Key is averaging 70 catches per season in the #3 slot. We could REALLY use another 70 receptions especially over the middle/red zone. He may only be a 2-3 yr. player but, considering his age, so is Driver I'm afraid. This is the not-for-long league. How many of our 21 yr. old draft picks are shoo-ins to last 10 yrs.? None of them. Sure, Key is a big mouth but he tends to back it up. If he pushes out Fergy, what have we really lost? I also wonder if TT will use Key as a salve to disappointed/disgruntled Moss lovers. His rep took another hit there after a no-action FA. I'm FOR it!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you don't have a tight end, he's basically your tight end."

From the JSonline article...I agree 100% and I think this would be the reason to bring him in.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to laugh at those who would agree to have Key IF he would sign a one year contract at vet's minimum. They may be the same who griped about TT NOT throwing big bucks at some of the over-priced FAs this year. You get what you pay for. Key is averaging 70 catches per year. How many Packer WRs have been doing that? How many draft picks now on board do you believe will do that? Potential is great but performance is better.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
How many Packer WRs have been doing that? How many draft picks now on board do you believe will do that? Potential is great but performance is better.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that doesnt mean you go out and give him 3 million dollars just so you sign him. you feel out the market. if he cant get more that $828,000 to play for one year anywhere else(which is what John Clayton was reporting as of yesterday)... why would we pay $3 million.

I agree that if he is a bonafide FA that you feel is a cant miss, and will in no way hurt the franchise but only bring it help.. then yes, you go out and pay and outbid anyone out there...

but you dont just say heres 3 million dollars... come play for me. just because you got the cap space....

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so question... If he had 70 catches the last 5 years, who played next to him, cuz he had steve smith and im sorry, we dont have anyone that can even touch smiths speed. Who was next to him before that? DAL had crayton who is fast and terry glenn... kinda of speedsters all around him.

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theyre not steve smith, thats my point though, smith had to be triple teamed some times and hes only 5 9..

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think anyone is gonna argue with you that Steve Smith is a great receiver. but i dont think your giving keyshawn enough credit.

just because smitty was double teamed, doesnt mean key was left open. he still had a corner on him at all time and still put up numbers. he got the number 2 corner on him every game that smitty started. Carolinas offense was terrible and easy to figure out most times... and he still got good numbers. hes just that kind of receiver, because he doesnt rely on speed and quickness, his game may never leave him.

here in green bay he will still get single coverage and the number 2 corner maybe even the nickle or safety in some spots. and a hell of a lot better QB if you ask me. and not to mention hes been doing it for five years straight it cant all be the other reciever.

and if he comes here, i anticipate another solid year from the guy. If he is used in the slot running TE type safety routes, i can see him having one of the best years of his career. if he turns out to be Bretts safety net, that ahman and Bubba used to be in their prime, then he could have outstanding numbers this year.

again im good with or without this guy... im just makin the case for him.
his downside is his mouth and attitude(both kept in check in carolina) and the fact that he may rob some young guys of PT. (which may be countered by him mentoring those same young guys, he probally got a lot to teach)

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theyre not steve smith, thats my point though, smith had to be triple teamed some times and hes only 5 9..
He had 141 catches and 12 TDs in 30 starts with Dallas the two years before. That was with a team with only Jason Witten and Terry Glenn as receiving threats.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Weissman1989 said:
He had 141 catches and 12 TDs in 30 starts with Dallas the two years before. That was with a team with only Jason Witten and Terry Glenn as receiving threats.

lol@only

Terry Glenn ... only

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind the pickup.

KJ is slow and old.......he was never a playmaker, not even in his prime....He prolly would help, but im sure he'd be asking for way too much. And this is comming from a guy who supported the moss deal....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I wouldnt mind the pickup.

KJ is slow and old.......he was never a playmaker, not even in his prime....He prolly would help, but im sure he'd be asking for way too much. And this is comming from a guy who supported the moss deal....

Well it depends on terms. My statement was very general(for a reason). If Key wanted a huge contract? no. If he wanted to be a #1 WR? no. If the terms were to be good for TT\MM\GB, then i'd be for it (that means, short contract, #3 receiver).

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
lol@only

Terry Glenn ... only

Yes... the same Glenn..

Parcells once referred to Glenn as "she".

Oh, a former coach called Glenn a she then took him back on his team resurrecting his career into a solid starter. Yeah, that line helped your argument a lot.

Members online

Latest posts