1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Greene hired as OLB coach

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Ketchup, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ketchup

Ketchup Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers Hire Former NFL Star Greene
    The Packers have hired former NFL sack leader Kevin Greene to coach outside linebackers, an NFL source said.

Greene twice led the league in sacks -- with Pittsburgh in 1994 and Carolina in 1996 -- while playing in the same 3-4 defense that the Packers plan to run next season under new coordinator Dom Capers.

Greene had been working most recently in the private business sector but had done several training camp internships with NFL teams.

Greene is the second position coach hired by the Packers since making Capers their new defensive coordinator. They hired former Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac as their defensive line coach on Friday.

The source said assistant head coach Winston Moss will coach inside linebackers and will work closely with Greene and Trgovac.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

2. tkpckfan

tkpckfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i like that hire

3. c_mac

c_mac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Greene was a monster player, hopefully he can be a monster coach.

4. boisenjm

boisenjm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Greene was a beast and if he can just give our olb's a little bit of the "inside info" that he used to be a sack expert than I am all for it. Plus I've heard some people say that the Pack (especially some of the coaches) is soft/lacking toughness and there is no was Greene has never been considered soft!

5. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Is seems a bit unusual that the Packers have two linebacker coaches, one for inside and, one for out side. Has anyone ever heard of this concept?

6. JbShell

JbShell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty common for 3-4 d i hear because the assignments and requirements for olb tend to be so differant that the 4-3 wereas ilb are pretty straight forward and not much differant.

7. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully he brings the kind of grit that Mike Singletary has brought to the 9ners.

Maybe he'll yell at people more than McCarthy so we can cut back on penalties.

8. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
    Here is why I love the hire.

[youtube:2zalzf58]f3guex6oQUo[/youtube:2zalzf58]

9. The Coordinator

The Coordinator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wizard 87 here's hoping he brings that passion to the players he will be coaching.

10. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    yah i wish are linebackers could like like that i mean my god what a beast

11. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to see him dancing round screaming on the sidelines.

12. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    This is a fantastic move :)

13. Aaron rodgers is god

Ratings:
    +154
    he looks like an oversized aj hawk . maybe it will give him insperation

14. boisenjm

boisenjm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes he really has no caoching history (except for these internships they speak of which I have no idea how intensive those things are) but he does have intensity, fire and great inside knowledge of that particular position. This is great because he has some pretty good guys to lean on for the true coaching aspect (Capers and Trgovac)

All I can say is it can't hurt to have him there for guys like Kampman and Poppinga to pick his brain. If anything it would be great to have Greene be Kampman's personal mentor while he makes the tough transition to OLB in the 3-4.

15. OHIOFAN

OHIOFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the move a lot. I can see him turning the LB'S into a special unit. I think that Kampman and Hawk will really benefit from him. Now if we can only get Herm for the DB coach this team will be special real soon.

16. GJ85

GJ85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is awsome news, I think he can do great things I hope he turns Poppings and Hawk into special players.

17. b_mckendry

b_mckendry Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow this guy is awsome!

18. boisenjm

boisenjm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He's one intense dude, isn't he. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the sidelines.

19. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    You can love this hire as much as you wish. Just remember the old adage:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Mean Mr. Greene could, & did, often. That doesn't in & of itself make him the kind of coach that inspires players. This is an experimental hire, the kind that makes one scratch their head, thinking "why him, why now?"

Doesn't a more experienced LB coach exist anywhere in the NFL? C'mon, MM. Let Dom Capers hire his own assistants. Or did he?

20. Aaron rodgers is god

Ratings:
    +154
    i would love to give him a uniform and helmet and have him as one of are linebackers the guy still is a beast

21. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/02/03/2/

The text is ok, but LOOK AT GREENE ON THE VIDEO!!!!
    A SUIT?!?! GLASSES?!?! AND THE WORSE: LOOKS LIKE HE TOOK A SHOWER!!!!WTF, man!
    MR. GREENE, PLEASE, PUT SOME DIRT ON YOUR FACE AND GO BREAK SOME SKULLS...

22. boisenjm

boisenjm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it looks a little wierd to see Greene in that kind of getup. Hopefully he will be all businesslike as he teaches Kampman, Hawk, Poppinga....whoever else we may have under his tutelage to kick some serious a**!

23. packattack0425

packattack0425 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the hire of Green but what bothers me is Kampman may not want to play the part all that well. He's a great player and I think he'll do great but like I said he needs to want to play OLB

24. boisenjm

boisenjm Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Kampman will want to prove the doubters wrong.

25. Aaron rodgers is god

Ratings:
    +154
    i think with are new coaching staff and how successful teams do using the 3-4 I think the packers can seriously make a super bowl run. Our offense is very good are passing game is incredible are run game solid are o line declining but a very good balanced offense. The problem last year was our defense they allowed to many comebacks and yards if it wasn't for our interceptions and defensive touchdowns are defense probably would of been 31st