1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Barry to get a chance to EARN a starting spot!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Mar 16, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Kevin Barry will get a chance to earn a starting spot! <---click to learn more

This is interesting. They are talking about possibly moving him to RT or RG. They want him to slim down a bit, but are excited about his size and athleticism.

I hope he earns a spot. I've liked that fat man for a while. Whenever I heard "Number 71 is eligible" I would get all excited!

ps- Barry > Whitticker

So someone has to take the job away from Barry I would think. Unless we get some more good signings!

2. gado35

gado35 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    that is neat article, i really think it would be great if could draft Reggie Wells. We need a solid Guard.

3. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Note paragraphs 5-8.

Barry's natural position is right tackle, but the Packers may give him a look at guard, a position for which he thought he would compete last year. Under their new zone blocking system, the Packers won't be using a "jumbo" package that features Barry as a second tight end and they'll need him to shed weight if he's going to play inside.

Because the zone system requires the guards to be able to move laterally, there's some question whether Barry, 26, can fill the role.

"We'll see how he moves," Jagodzinski said. "He's powerful enough to do that. I think he's around 330. He needs to slim down. I told him he can get it off now or he can do it when camp starts. It'll be a lot harder if he does it when camp starts.

"It's not so much body weight, it's body fat. I'd like it under 20%. The heavier he is the harder it is for him to come back from injury."

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    yep.

Well Barry signed his original contract(sherman) under the idea he would get a chance to compete for a tackle\guard spot. it didnt work out that way.

Now he actually gets that shot.

I think he can slim down and do solid, but we'll have to wait and see.

5. net

net Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86
    Last year on PackerChatters I was royally bitched out by the "moderator" for suggesting that the Packers screwed up by trying to force Whittaker to start when he clearly wasn't ready. I argued moving Tauscher to guard(or Barry to guard) to put the best lineman on the field.

The U-71 had no sizzle without Wahle, Rivera and an injured Bubba Franks, so why not ditch it, bench Whittaker and put your best linemen on the field?McCarthy said Barry was being paid to be a tight end, not a guard or tackle and I agree with him.

The 'moderator', told me to basically shut up and go crawl back into the hold I came out of.

A new regime sees some sense in putting Barry in there.

6. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope we draft Eric Setterstrom of the Gophers.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm really surprised (and happy) that they resigned Barry!

8. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    You mean Mark Setterstrom?

9. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I like Lutui from Southern Cal, but he might go in the second round, where we'll have bigger fish to fry

10. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Or keith lipka cuz he is from oak creek like calhoun

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand this signing. A huge guy like Barry does not seem like a good fit at guard in the zone blocking scheme. I'm not so sure Tauscher would be a good zone-blocking guard, either. I thought they would be looking for quick feet and finesse. But hopefully Thompson and the coaching staff know what they are doing here.

12. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm sure they do. They wouldn't be signing people who don't fit the scheme..in fact, they're cutting people who DON'T fit with their plans(Chatman, for not being a BIG target - example). So that tells me they have plans for Barry.

They said he has to slim down, and he will. He'll just do it now...or at camp. I personally hope for his sake he gets a head start!

13. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He needs to slim down though hes like 330.

14. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i could see barry playing tackle and taucher playing gaurd

15. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tauscher is the best lineman the Packers have so why would a coach move him? Because he is inteliigent and capable?

Why would a team want to stagnate the continued development of William Whittacker? He earned his starting job last year as one of the best linemen the Packers have. He will continue to get better. Barry he has been around years and can't

Barry couldn't learn OG last year and I doubt he could learn the new offense, the left side, or OG this year. We haven't seen him play tackle because he cannot handle the ed rush, cannot get low on blocks, can't figure out an audible and only knows a limited part of the playbook known as the U-71.

Why tell Tauscher your best player that he is not good enough and he has to move because the other guy can't learn?

16. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You answered your own question.

He is the best,smartest,etc. More versatile, and can handle the move better than most.