Kentrell Brice

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Wimm, I love you...but the idea that Tramon is fast enough to hang with outside WR’s, but too slow to play S is really off.

Williams has good enough speed and plus instincts. He’d be ideal as a high safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all i know is Dix isn't disciplined enough, instinctive enough, nor seems to have the desire to be that guy anymore. I would not be upset if they just benched him for anyone else on the roster at this point. I can live with Brice's mistakes. He plays hard. I don't think the same of our supposed veteran leader thru 2 weeks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Both Rod and Charles Woodson made great transitions from CB to S. With Charles playing both Safety positions well. Now maybe Tramon lacks something they both had, but it isn't like it hasn't been done seemlessly before.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone have a stat on how many of HHCDIII's 12 interceptions have come on tipped balls or errant passes? I am really waiting for the day when our DB's start consistently go up and steal a tightly contested ball away from a receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hasn't there been a history of older DBs moving to safety at the end of their career and being successful? Tramon is quite the ball hawk... would he make a good center fielder?

There have been several examples of older cornerbacks successfully moving to strong safety, can't think of any making a successful transition to free safety though.

I'm probably a little to ******* Brice just because the past secondary woes has made me a cynic, but he's still young. Josh Jackson is still young. Maybe they both can step it up and progress as the season goes along.

Jackson has performed at a pretty good level over the first two weeks.

Also, Wimm, I love you...but the idea that Tramon is fast enough to hang with outside WR’s, but too slow to play S is really off.

Williams has good enough speed and plus instincts. He’d be ideal as a high safety.

The Packers don't put Williams on the fastest opposing receivers while he lines up at cornerback. He would need better speed to play single high safety though.

Anyone have a stat on how many of HHCDIII's 12 interceptions have come on tipped balls or errant passes?

Including playoffs Clinton-Dix has 15 interception with four of them coming on tipped balls. I watched all of them once again and there were some pretty good plays amongst them as well.

H

HardRightEdge

There have been several examples of older cornerbacks successfully moving to strong safety, can't think of any making a successful transition to free safety though.
Charles Woodson played FS when he went back to Oakland and got a Pro Bowl nod his final season for what that's worth. I don't know if he deserved it or if it was a parting gift.

Rod Woodson switched to FS in season 13, made 4 Pro Bowls at the position, and made All Pro in his 16th. season.

Of course, these guys are HOFers.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

As for Brice, he seems to be the "daisy" on the squad this season: "I love him (week 1), I love him not (week 2).

Like his running mate throughout his carreer, Brice wasn't as good as he was credited for at his best nor as bad as the very negative assessments here would make him out to be.

He's a SS who is not great in coverage but makes up for it somewhat by coming up to attack the ball. Patrick Chung has never been much of a coverage safety, but he has managed to hang around in NE for 9 of his 10 years, taking a lot of snaps, making a lot of tackles, and collecting a couple of rings. Now, Brice might not be the leader that Chung has been, but there is a point to made here.

What we don't want to see is this flip-flopping of the safeties with Brice playing single high. I thought we were done with that after Capers left the building. Evidently not.

Is Brice optimal? Of course not. Is he adequate? Probably. He seems to have a better handle on what he's supposed to be doing than last season, so there could be more upside.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like his running mate throughout his carreer, Brice wasn't as good as he was credited for at his best nor as bad as the very negative assessments here would make him out to be.

He's a SS who is not great in coverage but makes up for it somewhat by coming up to attack the ball.

In my opinion Brice is definitely better suited to line up at free safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember an INT by Dix last year, I think the first Lions game. It was great. Turned a ran with a RB I think and practically ran the route and actually made the play instead of the play coming to him. I thought, man, here we go, he's getting it. and then it was just more of the same again before he really cashed it in last season.

Reaction score
I finally heard Alexander say this week what I have contested all along needs to be a mindset in our backfield. He said on that INT he started playing CB.. but when the ball was in the air he mentally switched to WR and went after it like it was his. This needs to be the mindset of our DB's.. they need to get their head around and play the ball whenever possible but especially when they are more than 25 yards down field. When more than 4+ sec has elapsed from the snap..the probability of the ball already being in the air is got to be 90% or more. They need to do a better job of using their body clock to anticipate the ball and then turn around and make a play on the ball by changing roles. We've had several plays now that I believe exercising that concept both in practice and live games would result in a better finish to the play. There are several examples in the Vikings game alone that we were in arms reach and never got our head around whatsoever and they either resulted in a massive gain or a TD by the opposition.
This doesn't even take into effect the advantages of playing the ball with the head turned when it comes to Defensive interference calls. Once that ball is in the air the Defender has every right to go up and get it and the defender even gets added protections and allowances if they are playing the ball. Some teams get it, other than Alexander and maybe Jackson? most of our DB's don't

Last edited:

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times do we have to see Brice put in the exact right spot to make a play but instead make a fool of himself with the ball in the air? He has to go.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally heard Alexander say this week what I have contested all along needs to be a mindset in our backfield. He said on that INT he started playing CB.. but when the ball was in the air he mentally switched to WR and went after it like it was his. This needs to be the mindset of our DB's.. they need to get their head around and play the ball whenever possible but especially when they are more than 25 yards down field. When more than 4+ sec has elapsed from the snap..the probability of the ball already being in the air is got to be 90% or more. They need to do a better job of using their body clock to anticipate the ball and then turn around and make a play on the ball by changing roles. We've had several plays now that I believe exercising that concept both in practice and live games would result in a better finish to the play. There are several examples in the Vikings game alone that we were in arms reach and never got our head around whatsoever and they either resulted in a massive gain or a TD by the opposition.
This doesn't even take into effect the advantages of playing the ball with the head turned when it comes to Defensive interference calls. Once that ball is in the air the Defender has every right to go up and get it and the defender even gets added protections and allowances if they are playing the ball. Some teams get it, other than Alexander and maybe Jackson? most of our DB's don't
Good point. After 4 seconds, the ball is either coming your way or it’s not. So a CB turning his head is 1) much more likely to make a play on the ball and 2) rarely get an interference call becasue he’s playing the ball. So it’s baffling to see a corner chasing down a WR and blindly reaching out his arms with no clear way to know where the ball is. Too many corners play the WR and his actions rather than the ball. Seems easy, but that’s easy for me to say......

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Gute isn't on the Phone in the next 24 hrs. with Eric Reid or any of the other 100 free agents that are better than Brice, then keeping him around to do more of what he did (didn't do) today is on Gute.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smh I tried to tell you guys....I tried to tell you. Brice is a situational player at best. Idk how many you all need to see him get beat deep before you jump off the Brice bandwagon.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smh I tried to tell you guys....I tried to tell you. Brice is a situational player at best. Idk how many you all need to see him get beat deep before you jump off the Brice bandwagon.
Be honest, you don’t have much nice to say about anyone, so saying you called a negative isn’t really prophetic.

And who else are you playing? Dix who can’t cover the ground and he is even more late ? Or Jones who looked more lost? Brice needs to pick up the ball and play it. He’s there to do it. Jones was 20 yards behind wondering where he was supposed to be last year

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be honest, you don’t have much nice to say about anyone, so saying you called a negative isn’t really prophetic.

And who else are you playing? Dix who can’t cover the ground and he is even more late ? Or Jones who looked more lost? Brice needs to pick up the ball and play it. He’s there to do it. Jones was 20 yards behind wondering where he was supposed to be last year

When guys earn the right for me to say something “nice” by performing? then that’s when I’ll say something “nice”. But you making that comment in a Brice thread doesn’t hold much weight.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When guys earn the right for me to say something “nice” by performing? then that’s when I’ll say something “nice”. But you making that comment in a Brice thread doesn’t hold much weight.

What he’s saying is that if you predict that everyone will suck, then naturally you’re going to be right sometimes.

H

HardRightEdge

In my opinion Brice is definitely better suited to line up at free safety.
We have another instance of Brice not being able to find the deep ball. The free safety got traded to Cleveland though that was probably unavoidable after he poisoned the well.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know that when it costs us losing/not being successful it isn't a popular opinion-but the reality is D.C. scored that deep post TD pass we're all pointing the finger at Brice at within their "First 15" scripted plays. That means the tape is out and all the teams know #29 is a liability in the pass game and is being targeted. There isn't much else to say after that...

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Kentrell Brice.... Take off your Jersey and leave Lambeau Field.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he’s saying is that if you predict that everyone will suck, then naturally you’re going to be right sometimes.

I know exactly what he’s saying. But I DONT predict that everyone is going to suck...just the ones who look they suck. It’s not my fault I’ve beeb correct more than I’ve been wrong :rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts