Kentrell Brice

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he has the range, I think he's smarter than Dix and more reliable

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so high on Brice or Jones. Both are a mess in coverage and don't read things well. The mental aspect of the game has been the knock on Jones since college.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The problem is we don't have that. We have Brice who "could" be, but has to figure it out..... HaHa has been here for years, and though it's a new defense, there are a lot of things that carry over from defense to defense, especially for a safety.

These 2 thoughts are spot on and toss in Jones, Raven Greene and Whitehead and you have a real problem at Safety for the Packers in Week 3. So how do you fix it? Pull a TT move and stay pat with your own homegrown guys? Or do you actually sign a FA or make a trade to upgrade the position?

I think you already answered the part about our own guys, sure both Brice and Jones could all of a sudden get it, but how long do you wait for that to happen? What happens when HaHa gets injured? Are Greene and Whitehead capable starters?

I have seen this happen way too many times over the last several years with the Packers, an obvious hole in the lineup and trying to fill it with guys who are going to cost you games until you do. There are other options currently out there and if Gute should have learned one thing from TT it is "don't wait until the trade deadline is over" to make your move. As well as waiting too long and finding out that the best FA options are completely gone.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how many starts has the guy had? he's had 6...and he's only had two in this system...and he's just turned 24. way too early to tell how he'll be.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how many starts has the guy had? he's had 6...and he's only had two in this system...and he's just turned 24. way too early to tell how he'll be.
That's where I'm at. Far more disappointed in Dix than anything. Brice has a learning curve, but he can hit and he can cover a lot of ground better than anyone else we have right now and if he learns from his mistakes he's going to be pretty good I think.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's where I'm at. Far more disappointed in Dix than anything. Brice has a learning curve, but he can hit and he can cover a lot of ground better than anyone else we have right now and if he learns from his mistakes he's going to be pretty good I think.

Meh, can we not say the same things about Jones? He’s also clearly a better bsllhawk than Brice as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure he can get better, never said he couldn't. I have not seen this ballhawking from him though. I've seen playmaker around LOS, but that's it

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope it doesn't take the usual 3 or 4 years to figure out if they don't have it or can't play.

As for Dix, it's like playing with ten guys on the field.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get giving Brice a little time but he was partially or fully responsible for two tds last weekend. The Theilen td was inexcusable. He had a clear bath to the ball or Theilen but instead went for Alexander. Honestly, not giving help on the Diggs td was inexcusable too. Who jumps a Treadwell route when Diggs is going deep? Treadwell is barely worth covering with one guy

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get giving Brice a little time but he was partially or fully responsible for two tds last weekend. The Theilen td was inexcusable. He had a clear bath to the ball or Theilen but instead went for Alexander. Honestly, not giving help on the Diggs td was inexcusable too. Who jumps a Treadwell route when Diggs is going deep? Treadwell is barely worth covering with one guy

Bingo. Eye discipline doesn’t seem to exist for him. He likes to tackle but as a safety the pass is the first responsibility. Peeking in the backfield , and letting guys get behind you will get you fired real quick. Just ask Roy Williams

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I hate to bring this name up anywhere, we've had Safety issues since Darren Sharper left. Nobody who has filled either spot has done much on a consistent basis. And right now I'm not sold we have a good player at EITHER Safety spot. So yeah I think Safety has to be priority in FA or Draft in 2019.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy on the current list of HOF nominees disagrees with your assesment, but yes, safety is looking like a priority for next year. But that is t a news flash

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the guy on the current list of HOF nominees disagrees with your assesment, but yes, safety is looking like a priority for next year. But that is t a news flash

My mistake was thinking Collins was injured during his rookie year. mea culpa

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Could it possibly be coaching? :whistling: Isn't like there haven't been good DB's passing through Green Bay

Casey Hayward
Micah Hyde
Damarious Randall (maybe)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it possibly be coaching? :whistling: Isn't like there haven't been good DB's passing through Green Bay

Casey Hayward
Micah Hyde
Damarious Randall (maybe)

Yep all three played out of position in Green Bay. I still struggle to believe Randall will be good. Poor tackler, not great in coverage. Will be good off the ball but teams will figure him out and try to get him in matchups

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so high on Brice or Jones. Both are a mess in coverage and don't read things well. The mental aspect of the game has been the knock on Jones since college.

Jones is an in the box safety who did flash there last year. Trouble is that we lack the centerfielder type free safety to allow us to play Jones up in the box.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still have hope for the secondary group. But I agree, we should try to get some center field talent in the next draft. I have dreams of an amazing secondary... Alexander and Jackson have me all hyped up.. if only we can solidify the back end.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think he has the range, I think he's smarter than Dix and more reliable

Williams is definitely smarter than Clinton-Dix but there's reason to believe he doesn't have the speed anymore to line up as a single high free safety.

Jones is an in the box safety who did flash there last year. Trouble is that we lack the centerfielder type free safety to allow us to play Jones up in the box.

I definitely prefer the Packers to line up Clinton-Dix or Brice over Jones at free safety.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasn't there been a history of older DBs moving to safety at the end of their career and being successful? Tramon is quite the ball hawk... would he make a good center fielder?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is definitely smarter than Clinton-Dix but there's reason to believe he doesn't have the speed anymore to line up as a single high free safety.

I definitely prefer the Packers to line up Clinton-Dix or Brice over Jones at free safety.
The problem is, even if Dix does have it, which I have not seen yet, he's too late in diagnosing anything, can't cover the ground anyway, takes bad angles, and is a pretty terrible tackler. Zero qualities of a good center fielder

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well yeah Jones isn't a free safety either, trouble is that I think Dix is more of a strong safety given that he never shows much in game sideline to sideline range. Whens the last time he broke on a sideline route and even made a play on the ball?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hasn't there been a history of older DBs moving to safety at the end of their career and being successful? Tramon is quite the ball hawk... would he make a good center fielder?

Well it depends on the scheme. If you're using more of a two deep shell scheme then maybe he could, although he never was much of a tackler. I dont think that Tramon ever really had the range to play CF, he was always more of a bump n run cover corner. Heck as a young man I think his 40 time was only a 4.6, plenty fast if you know how to jam and subtly hand check and tug, but not what you want playing deep.

Randall had the kind of speed range and ability to cover distance that you want back there, albeit he's frequently hurt. Too bad we don't have Hyde and Randall at safety.

James from IL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm probably a little to ******* Brice just because the past secondary woes has made me a cynic, but he's still young. Josh Jackson is still young. Maybe they both can step it up and progress as the season goes along. Ha-Ha just needs to be better.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He leads the team in tackles so far this season. He's not afraid to hit, which is a plus with this crew. I think he has decent potential.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't re-watched the games enough to fully understand the why of this, but Jermaine Whitehead has been on the field for 40 pass coverage snaps vs 100 for Brice and Whitehead has graded out FAR better than Brice. Just going by pass coverage grade, in 50 total snaps Whitehead is tied with Dix for 11th best in the league thus far. Now, that's a small sample (Brice has 143 total snaps) but Brice is so far down the list in pass coverage grade that I just stopped counting after 40.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts