Kentrell Brice

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no words smh. I’m completely convinced he’s not the answer at SS. I can’t wait until Josh comes back because I’ve had enough of the Brice experiment. He has zero eye discipline and is always peeking in the backfield. Between him and HAHA I just can’t man. Safety is now the weakest position on the defense. Hopefully Jones gets his chance to make Brice a sub and special teams player like he should be.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not been able to watch the first two games as I am on the other side of the globe and the first game in a very small city. But I am really disappointed to hear the comments on Brice. Sounds a bit like a coaching problem also in that he needs to get his head turned around. There were good comments about him after the bears game.
It also sounds as if House (not to my surprise) lets the big one happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no words smh. I’m completely convinced he’s not the answer at SS. I can’t wait until Josh comes back because I’ve had enough of the Brice experiment. He has zero eye discipline and is always peeking in the backfield. Between him and HAHA I just can’t man. Safety is now the weakest position on the defense. Hopefully Jones gets his chance to make Brice a sub and special teams player like he should be.

I agree that Brice had a terrible game vs. the Vikings but he was mostly lined up at free safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice isn't a finished product, or maybe his. He's an incredibly small amount of experience this far in his career. The answers will be found if he adjusts to this, and learns or doesn't. And safety was the weak link going into the season, no doubt about that. But Collins, Sharper, etc, none of them were great out the gate. I hope Brice learns faster than they did because we need him too, but there isn't anyone else coming to help this year.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Brice had a terrible game vs. the Vikings but he was mostly lined up at free safety.

He’s definitely not disciplined enough to be a FS. Maybe that was the problem!! At FS you have to be deeper than the deepest man! He was caught peeking on two very big plays that turned into points!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brice is good when moving towards the LOS. He's unreliable when he's moving away from the LOS. In the long term, he should be replaced. In the mean time, he shouldn't be used as a single high if it can be avoided.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've felt that Brice is a good third safety, or maybe someone that can play that hybrid linebacker role occasionally when the down and distance are right. His strength isn't pass coverage yet. All of these guys get into the league with something that they can do really well....a good spin move, and bull rush, hard hitting, coverage skills, etc. The real key to becoming a good starter is developing your weaknesses into solid skills.

Hopefully Darren Perry and Brice can work on those things throughout the season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HAHA and Brice are ALWAYS a step late as the photos show. HAHA isn’t covering anyone on the Treadwell TD and King is clearly expecting inside help..but where is HAHA? On the long TD to Diggs Brice is caught peeling and Diggs smokes House who is expecting deep help..but Brice is watching...on the Theiland TD Brice is again caught peeling and a step late...on the OT throw to Diggs the Packers are clearly in man..but Minny tries to run a rub route with Rudolph and Diggs. Willams is 3 steps behind Diggs and HAHA is literally standing there stuck to Rudolph while Diggs catches an easy corner/fade route smh. These are our safeties folks.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am concerned about the safeties as well. HHCD has regressed since his rookie season. In '14 he was flying down the alley with bad intentions, now he plays to not get injured. I also get frustrated that when he is used as a robber/lurk defender he rarely actually jumps a route/deflects a ball. He doesn't make many plays on deep shots in a single-high situation. Most of his stats like INTs are misleading because they are gifts from either the QB just throwing the ball where/when he shouldn't and/or the Treadwell drop that popped up in the air-lollipops anybody could and should be able to snag.

Brice is worse-he is often the defender picked on to get a first down through the air via a TE/complimentary receiver. His recognition skills on deep passes is horrible. He just hasn't shown a level of ability consistent enough to say he is a starter-level safety, regardless of whether he is the free or strong.

It's like we have 2 small fast linebackers playing safety. Both only seem adequate going towards the LOS and like Dantes said, as a safety you earn your stripes by how you defend going away from the LOS.

The sad but possible truth is that maybe Randall didn't work out mainly because he was playing out of position all along. Had we made him the starting FS and put HHCD at SS (IMHO of watching him over the years seems like where he should actually be used) with Brice as the dime-backer we prolly would be in better shape. Darren Perry needs to coach these guys HARD now because Kirk Cousins isn't the only QB that can put up those numbers on this defense. The safeties have to be better pass defenders since our pass rush is sub-standard, and yet they look like they're trying to be linebackers/be too aggressive and letting guys get behind them/not developing route recognition to help the corners out.

Earl Thomas is exactly the type of player that would fix this problem because we could have him as the single-high and be able to trust that he could erase mistakes/get over the top. Wish we would have made a run at him when it was apparent Mack was going to Chicago.

This defense is so frustrating smh...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Pettine kept talking about accountability in the off season. He needs to do something to back up his words.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

HAHA and Brice are ALWAYS a step late as the photos show. HAHA isn’t covering anyone on the Treadwell TD and King is clearly expecting inside help..but where is HAHA? On the long TD to Diggs Brice is caught peeling and Diggs smokes House who is expecting deep help..but Brice is watching...on the Theiland TD Brice is again caught peeling and a step late...on the OT throw to Diggs the Packers are clearly in man..but Minny tries to run a rub route with Rudolph and Diggs. Willams is 3 steps behind Diggs and HAHA is literally standing there stuck to Rudolph while Diggs catches an easy corner/fade route smh. These are our safeties folks.
You think your post is funny or something?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A lot can change between now and March in terms of FA status, but if the Bears' Adrian Amos hits the market, I would love to steal him from Chicago and I'd gladly let Haha walk to do it. He would bring a lot more stability to the back end.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
All this talk about signing Josh Gordon, when in reality the offense is just fine. Go out and sign Eric Reid and John Simon, even with a healthy Josh Jones our defense needs help at Safety and depth at OLB.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice is on par to be the next Gunter... Everytime I look up he is the one getting burned... Maybe I am overreacting but both games this year have told me elsewise.. I'm a grouch don't get me wrong but I hope I'm not the only one to see this.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice is on par to be the next Gunter... Everytime I look up he is the one getting burned... Maybe I am overreacting but both games this year have told me elsewise.. I'm a grouch don't get me wrong but I hope I'm not the only one to see this.

Gunter was just too slow which is not something that can be fixed. Brice's problem seems to be decision-making. Maybe can be fixed; maybe not. In either event, he's not good enough -- at this time -- to start on a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this talk about signing Josh Gordon, when in reality the offense is just fine. Go out and sign Eric Reid and John Simon, even with a healthy Josh Jones our defense needs help at Safety and depth at OLB.

The talk about Gordon is about making our just fine offense even better but I do agree we need more help on the defensive side of the ball.

I do gotta say, even though it is very early Allison is starting to make me think maybe we did the right thing WR wise. I hope he keeps it up.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Another look at Brice. What was he attempting to do? I have seen bad angles taken, but this one is just awful. Also notice Cousins getting hit by Clark or Daniels after he releases, surprised the refs didn't call the roughing the passer too. :coffee:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1041688504189763584
There is another video angle someplace in this forum that shows Brice tracking the ball then lowering his eyes when he senses he is close to Alexander. He then goes into self preservation mode instead of just playing the ball. He angles 1 yard further upfield and he can play the ball all the way for a pick. Brice is not there and JA plays the ball for a pick instead of pulling off to protect himself. Either way, the wrong angle just by a yard or so. Or be half a step slower so he doesn't get close to JA.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of what I am hearing about Brice and the praise he is getting is for being all over the field and making hard tackles. I could be wrong but this may overshadow the fact that he sucks in coverage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think guys need to back off a bit. How much has this guy played? Hardly any. And it's week 2 of year 1 of a brand new defense. Sharper wasn't good out of the gate. Collins wasn't good out of the gate, most people have a learning curve. I still think he has great tools to use. He has mistakes to learn from and is gaining experience to draw from. He can cover ground, he can hit. He has to learn how to put it all together. If he's doing the same things in week 8 maybe have something to say but the guy is pretty green and in a new defense for everyone. It's week 2

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Jones can get back soon. I can’t watch Brice in coverage anymore.

The problem with that is Jones has the same issues-if u look at his scouting report before we drafted him/tape at NC State and then see what he did last year he plays the same way. He sucks in coverage, and gets better the closer he is to the LOS. In man-to-man on TEs/WRs he has shown flashes but laterally he got beat often (Christian McCaffrey during Panthers game) and in zone he just seems like a fish outta water alot. At this point I do not trust him either.

I get that Brice and Jones could use more experience, but I just feel like since HHCD hasn't developed into the ballhawk who could hit also I thought he would become by now we're playing defense with a bunch of strong safeties that can't cover. What's the point of them being fast if they don't have ball skills/don't know how to break-up passes?

This is why we keep drafting cornerbacks like they're going out of style-we not only have needed to replace what we had in Tramon/Shields/Hyde/a younger House but also they have to compensate for the shortcomings of our safeties by being that good in coverage. Instead of the safeties helping the corners our corners are essentially bailing out the safeties-expected to do most of their work on their own and allow the safeties to mosey up the LOS and be faux linebackers/try to cover TEs once in awhile.

For example, why has the RB position continuously done damage to us in the pass game this season? I would venture to think that maybe Martinez isn't being asked to cover them most of the time and maybe it's one of the safeties that are not getting there to account for them.

I'm just tired of excuses. I'm tired of our OLBs not being able to pressure. I'm tired of our ILBs and corners getting burned in the pass game. And I'm tired of our safeties not being the last line of defense/just giving up play after play after play. I, and many of the fans I would tend to believe, aren't unrealistic. We see that we're not spending the same money on the defense as we are the offense. But for them to be consistently incompetent is aggravating. They have to find a way not to blow a 2 TD lead in the 4th Quarter and they didn't. What's worse is that their lackluster performance vs Cousins and the Vikings in the 4th Qtr and OT is being overshadowed by the refs.

I get that it was hot out there. I get that it is only Week 2. But at some point, the defense has to be held accountable. They play with an All-World QB and most of the time he is carrying their weight, and I'm sick of it.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts