Keep the rest of our powder dry?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there’s a more than decent chance there will not be 60-100,000 fans crammed into stadiums this late summer. When does guaranteed money get paid? Maybe Gute is not in a hurry to pay money for a season that very well may not happen.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there’s a more than decent chance there will not be 60-100,000 fans crammed into stadiums this late summer. When does guaranteed money get paid? Maybe Gute is not in a hurry to pay money for a season that very well may not happen.

What are you talking about? We've nearly spent all of the available cap space we have already?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a vaccine is found, then yes you will see packed stadiums. If not, you are correct. As far as guaranteed cash, WIMM knows the answer most likely.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When does guaranteed money get paid? Maybe Gute is not in a hurry to pay money for a season that very well may not happen.
I've seen it referenced in several contract and salary cap discussions. Some get it on the 1st day of the new league year, some on the 3rd or 15th. I've seen first day of the season and also 1st day of June. Usually it is before the season starts.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a vaccine is found, then yes you will see packed stadiums. If not, you are correct. As far as guaranteed cash, WIMM knows the answer most likely.
A vaccine is likely 16 months out. I'm not sure why that long, but it wont help us this go around.

I think the packer will still play, maybe no fans. Most money comes from tv anyhow. Players can be tested morning of the game and allowed to play if clean.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
A vaccine is likely 16 months out. I'm not sure why that long, but it wont help us this go around.

I think the packer will still play, maybe no fans. Most money comes from tv anyhow. Players can be tested morning of the game and allowed to play if clean.
If any of the anti-virals already used for other diseases pan out, then life will resume close to normal. ATM the problem is overloading the hospitals with people needing ICU space and the ventilators. The anti-virals are reported to reduce longevity and necessity of that in most instances. The 85-90% that don't get to that point can be treated as a normal flu/cold season. If this happens sometime before mid-summer then I expect a normal NFL season. (But how can any season be considered normal when Tom Brady plays for Tampa.) In future years, I expect Covid to be looked upon and treated as a really nasty type of highly contagious pneumonia.

H

HardRightEdge

It depends on the form of the guarantee.

Salary used to be paid out in 1/17 increments throughout the season. That applied regardless of whether it is guaranteed. I read something in passing that the new CBA calls for it to be paid out in increments over 6 months, presumably through February.

Signing bonuses? Hard to say. I suspect that depends on the terms of the contract. The guys recently signed may have already cashed checks for all of that money. Well, not "cashed" literally--EFTed to their accounts would be more like it. You can reckon the larger the bonus the more likely it is to be paid in installments.

The season roster bonuses, as distinct from the per game roster bonuses, are earned according to the terms of the contract, typically a few days after the start of the league year. Again, that might be paid immediately or installments.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard 12 months at best. Either way, that eliminates the football season, at least in the form we're familiar with.

H

HardRightEdge

I heard 12 months at best. Either way, that eliminates the football season, at least in the form we're familiar with.
Possibly. Not necessarily. I would say that if conditions are such that large gatherings are still being cancelled 12 months from now, and all the rest that implies, you'll have much, much bigger things to worry about than a football season, something worse than the financial crisis.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I’m curious and maybe someone has the answer, if let’s say 2/3 of the season is lost, because of cancellations of games this season, with this new CBA, will for just this season will they stick to the old playoff senerio w/o adding extra teams, or will the playoff format be modified by the NFL? Answers anyone?

H

HardRightEdge

I’m curious and maybe someone has the answer, if let’s say 2/3 of the season is lost, because of cancellations of games this season, with this new CBA, will for just this season will they stick to the old playoff senerio w/o adding extra teams, or will the playoff format be modified by the NFL? Answers anyone?
The additional playoff games are expected to add $100 million in additional revenue. Draw your own conclusion.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the '82 strike shortened season, they modified the playoff system to include more teams. That was a long time ago, but I would think the league would have to make a decision on the playoff format when/if the time comes.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any of the anti-virals already used for other diseases pan out, then life will resume close to normal. ATM the problem is overloading the hospitals with people needing ICU space and the ventilators. The anti-virals are reported to reduce longevity and necessity of that in most instances. The 85-90% that don't get to that point can be treated as a normal flu/cold season. If this happens sometime before mid-summer then I expect a normal NFL season. (But how can any season be considered normal when Tom Brady plays for Tampa.) In future years, I expect Covid to be looked upon and treated as a really nasty type of highly contagious pneumonia.

LOL we don’t even have swabs and masks...

sorry but anti-virals aren’t one size fits all deals no matter what Dear Leader says...

end of the day a lot of old, sick and just plain unlucky people will die the next 18 months... but I’m not betting on an NFL season happening

when this thing is rattling around amongst the devastated health care system and economic carnage (both of which we’re only seeing the tippy top of the iceberg of), I doubt people will be jone’sin to cram 60-100K people butts to muzzles in stadiums college or pro

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vaccine I watched news about is they grabbed some genetic material from the virus and created something that mimics the virus enough to create immunity defenses. Dont know about you, but this seems potentially catastrophic without proper testing. If Corona killed 90% of people then I would say okay, but its seems to be less than 1%.

Not to make this a joke, but I kept thinking about Will Smith in "I am Legend" during the news.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly. Not necessarily. I would say that if conditions are such that large gatherings are still being cancelled 12 months from now, and all the rest that implies, you'll have much, much bigger things to worry about than a football season, something worse than the financial crisis.
Yeah, painfully accurate point. I gotta believe Goodell, if he’s thinking about the good of the country versus NFL owner profits, is going to push back the start of the season by at least two months. We’ll know more in two weeks if the Coronavirus numbers start to plateau. That said, I don’t plan at being at any gatherings with more than a few people for the foreseeable future.

I expect the draft will go on, albeit in a virtual format.

The delay would impact the payment schedule for guaranteed money. We just won’t know for 2-3 weeks, or longer. Let’s face it, we’ve never been through this and it’s hard to know who to believe.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vaccine I watched news about is they grabbed some genetic material from the virus and created something that mimics the virus enough to create immunity defenses. Dont know about you, but this seems potentially catastrophic without proper testing. If Corona killed 90% of people then I would say okay, but its seems to be less than 1%.

Not to make this a joke, but I kept thinking about Will Smith in "I am Legend" during the news.
Pretty good, and scary, analogy. All that’s missing are the zombies. (I loved that movie, so I’m partial.)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL we don’t even have swabs and masks...

sorry but anti-virals aren’t one size fits all deals no matter what Dear Leader says...

end of the day a lot of old, sick and just plain unlucky people will die the next 18 months... but I’m not betting on an NFL season happening

when this thing is rattling around amongst the devastated health care system and economic carnage (both of which we’re only seeing the tippy top of the iceberg of), I doubt people will be jone’sin to cram 60-100K people butts to muzzles in stadiums college or pro
Very good summary of the current state of affairs. Likely the NFL season gets pushed back or canceled. IMO games can’t be played without fans, not to mention the risk to the players. Get the board (bored) games out and keep Wet Ones handy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question. IF they can start the season in say, November, they’ll likely play it as a shortened season with completely different rules for the playoffs. Who knows?

H

HardRightEdge

I gotta believe Goodell, if he’s thinking about the good of the country versus NFL owner profits, is going to push back the start of the season by at least two months.
It wouldn't be up to him. Some states are moving from recommendations against large gatherings to outright bans. How about Pennsylvania's governor ordering hotels be closed as of 8:00 PM Friday night to be enforced as of midnight tonight? No hotels = no travel.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be up to him. Some states are moving from recommendations against large gatherings to outright bans. How about Pennsylvania's governor ordering hotels be closed as of 8:00 PM Friday night to be enforced as of midnight tonight? No hotels = no travel.
Good points. Many states have shut down completely except for essential services. No public gatherings, no football.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sux. I know of 2 people that had travelled and decided to sequester themselves at a local hotel so as to not expose their families. Another guy I know of parked his RV inside his buddy's shed and is doing the same thing there.

H

HardRightEdge

Sux. I know of 2 people that had travelled and decided to sequester themselves at a local hotel so as to not expose their families. Another guy I know of parked his RV inside his buddy's shed and is doing the same thing there.
We left Florida early on Wednesday, with a hotel stopover in Pitsburgh on Friday. While watching TV in the room a report came on saying that Pennsylvania was shutting all hotels as of 8:00 PM. My wife thought there might a knock at the door. I was skeptical. As it turned out enforcement was not to begin until midnight on Saturday.

The moral of the story: your buddy in the hotel should have a plan B.

H

HardRightEdge

Since we're already off topic here, here's a valuable link to track the progress of this crisis on the macro level:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Confirmed cases in the US is currently 27,000. Yesterday it was 19,000. As expected, and as experienced in other countries, the confirmed case curve is going parabolic as testing ramps up. Inept response at the federal level, a still on-going, sit-on-the-hands, "shallow state" approach as the war powers act is not implemented ("We are not a shipping clerk") has exacerbated and continues to exacerbate early transmission, creating a broader and growing base of carriers which will prolong the crisis. States are in competition for resources as we move into the phase where states hoard whatever essential equipment and supplies they can get their hands on, rather than the federal goverment demanding the for-profit medical system produce what is needed as fast as possible, holding their feet to the fire, and getting it distributed to where it is needed most.

One small slice of this absurdity is evidenced in the fact that even if one got a free test, the Big 2 lab testing corporations, at least as of yesterday, wouldn't process the test unless that person has insurance. 40,000,000 Americans do not. It would be a no brainer is this trillion dollar relief package to take a tiny slice or that package and guarantee federal payment for tests for the uninsured. Duh.

It would behoove you to listen to "President" Cuomo's identification of the problems and prescriptions for getting after this thing.

Regardless of whether one agrees or disagress with that critique, the proof will be in the numbers and they will be undisputable.

As for the other of matter of "keeping one's powder dry" with respect to an investment portfolio, tracking those Johns Hopkins numbers on a daily basis will likely provide a signal. When the case curve starts to flatten the crisis will be under some kind of coordinatated control. That's probably a fairly long way off, and the economic damage in the interim is likely to be quite severe.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we're already off topic here, here's a valuable link to track the progress of this crisis on the macro level:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Confirmed cases in the US is currently 27,000. Yesterday it was 19,000. As expected, and as experienced in other countries, the confirmed case curve is going parabolic as testing ramps up. Inept response at the federal level, a still on-going, sit-on-the-hands, "shallow state" approach as the war powers act is not implemented ("We are not a shipping clerk") has exacerbated and continues to exacerbate early transmission, creating a broader and growing base of carriers which will prolong the crisis. States are in competition for resources as we move into the phase where states hoard whatever essential equipment and supplies they can get their hands on, rather than the federal goverment demanding the for-profit medical system produce what is needed as fast as possible, holding their feet to the fire, and getting it distributed to where it is needed most.

One small slice of this absurdity is evidenced in the fact that even if one got a free test, the Big 2 lab testing corporations, at least as of yesterday, wouldn't process the test unless that person has insurance. 40,000,000 Americans do not. It would be a no brainer is this trillion dollar relief package to take a tiny slice or that package and guarantee federal payment for tests for the uninsured. Duh.

It would behoove you to listen to "President" Cuomo's identification of the problems and prescriptions for getting after this thing.

Regardless of whether one agrees or disagress with that critique, the proof will be in the numbers and they will be undisputable.

As for the other of matter of "keeping one's powder dry" with respect to an investment portfolio, tracking those Johns Hopkins numbers on a daily basis will likely provide a signal. When the case curve starts to flatten the crisis will be under some kind of coordinatated control. That's probably a fairly long way off, and the economic damage in the interim is likely to be quite severe.
Yes, the testing has to get much better...and everywhere. We need to get a handle on the true stats, and we do this by helping other parts of the world. Other places, as you pointed out, think things are not that bad probably because symptoms are not that bad and they just are not testing anyone. So the virus will expand.

Members online

Latest posts