Karlos Dansby - Yes or No or For How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dansby is saying 2016 will be his Defensive Player of the Year season; he still chafes at being robbed of the award when it was given to Kuechly. He says this year there will be recompense.

Certainly if one had mixed fellings about such boasts it would be justified, but one thing you can bank on, pun intended: he does not sound like a guy willing to take anything close to the vet minimum of $985,000 for guys with 10+ years of service.

lmao. Please...

I am telling you all, dude is done. All talk and no juice.

D

Deleted member 6794

lmao. Please...

I am telling you all, dude is done. All talk and no juice.

Dansby has for sure regressed in defending the run but he still excels in coverage, something the Packers desperately are in need of.

There's no reason to believe he can't continue to play at a high level even at age 34.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would rather the Packers go after Nick Fairley. Hasn't been signed yet and has an injury history so I can't imagine he'd be too expensive but when he's playing he's one of the 10-15 best dlinemen in the NFL. Unfortunately he's going to visit the Pats today so that ship might have sailed; if he signs for the Pats he might be Defensive Player of the Year (I say that only slightly tongue in cheek).

D

Deleted member 6794

Would rather the Packers go after Nick Fairley. Hasn't been signed yet and has an injury history so I can't imagine he'd be too expensive but when he's playing he's one of the 10-15 best dlinemen in the NFL. Unfortunately he's going to visit the Pats today so that ship might have sailed; if he signs for the Pats he might be Defensive Player of the Year (I say that only slightly tongue in cheek).

Fairley signed a one-year, $5 million contract last year with the Rams. After being able to play in 15 games last season I don´t expect him to agree to a cheaper deal this offseason. The Packers don´t have the cap space to offer such a deal.

H

HardRightEdge

Pats loading up again.
Failey aside, who may or may not land there, Belichick swapping out several of the prior season vets for FA vets is an annual affair. He's even made trades in the middle of the season for vet players. We'd be surprised if he did anything different. I don't think anybody has ever been better at rearranging the deck chairs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fairley signed a one-year, $5 million contract last year with the Rams. After being able to play in 15 games last season I don´t expect him to agree to a cheaper deal this offseason. The Packers don´t have the cap space to offer such a deal.

I think Fairley only played around 600-700 snaps (could be off on that)...not exactly proof that he's not a health risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Fairley only played around 600-700 snaps (could be off on that)...not exactly proof that he's not a health risk.

Fairley actually only played a total of 427 snaps. I still don't see him agreeing to a cheap deal.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only position Id like to see improved at some point is tight end. ..other positions of weakness i think we've seen they can figure it out. Tight end though I feel like they have no real answer for.

I think Ted views Ryan as being good enough for now at ILB. I don't see him pursuing Dansby, but who knows if he remains unsigned for long enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only position Id like to see improved at some point is tight end. ..other positions of weakness i think we've seen they can figure it out. Tight end though I feel like they have no real answer for.

I think Ted views Ryan as being good enough for now at ILB. I don't see him pursuing Dansby, but who knows if he remains unsigned for long enough.

I don't agree that Ryan should be the Packers primary coverage inside linebacker but even if he surprisingly excels playing the position and Barrington returns fully healthy the team at least needs to add some depth at the position

I would prefer Thompson to add at least one, possibly even two possible starters at ILB though.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree that Ryan should be the Packers primary coverage inside linebacker but even if he surprisingly excels playing the position and Barrington returns fully healthy the team at least needs to add some depth at the position

I would prefer Thompson to add at least one, possibly even two possible starters at ILB though.
Yea i don't disagree. Just saying they were able to figure something out last season at ILB that worked out ok, they really couldn't figure out any way to compensate for lack of talent at TE. If they were going to address anything in FA (which is unlikely anyways) I would think it would be at tight end.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not sure that Thomas can't develop into a competent coverage linebacker. He certainly wasn't a rookie bust, but there is lots of room for improvement. Training camp will be his proving ground.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still not sure that Thomas can't develop into a competent coverage linebacker. He certainly wasn't a rookie bust, but there is lots of room for improvement. Training camp will be his proving ground.

Thomas was actually decent in coverage last season but he wasn't good enough to justify overlooking his deficiences defending the run.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, everyone here is saying that Dansby isn't stout against the run anymore but can cover. Thomas has a ways to go to be Dansby but I'll tow the line with TT in favoring the guy on the ascent of his career versus the decline.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yet, everyone here is saying that Dansby isn't stout against the run anymore but can cover. Thomas has a ways to go to be Dansby but I'll tow the line with TT in favoring the guy on the ascent of his career versus the decline.

Dansby is still way better in coverage than Thomas though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, which is why I said that Thomas has a ways to go before being as good as Dansby. Could that gap narrow or be eclipsed by the end of 2016? Will it be another AJ Hawk trying to keep up or a second year guy steadily improving? I don't know the answer but I prefer going with youth in these types of situations.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, which is why I said that Thomas has a ways to go before being as good as Dansby. Could that gap narrow or be eclipsed by the end of 2016? Will it be another AJ Hawk trying to keep up or a second year guy steadily improving? I don't know the answer but I prefer going with youth in these types of situations.

I think that Thomas or a rookie inside linebacker could hugely benefit from learning from a veteran like Dansby though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not a Thomas or Palmer fan. They both tend to look lost out there. Now that could change with more work, but I would hate to see Barrington or Ryan go down and have to slide Clay back in there because Thomas or Palmer aren't ready. This could all be taken care of by signing Dansby or getting lucky in the draft. But I agree with Captain, Dansby could be that vet. that comes in and shows the younger guys just how the position is played.

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, I'm not a Thomas or Palmer fan. They both tend to look lost out there. Now that could change with more work, but I would hate to see Barrington or Ryan go down and have to slide Clay back in there because Thomas or Palmer aren't ready. This could all be taken care of by signing Dansby or getting lucky in the draft. But I agree with Captain, Dansby could be that vet. that comes in and shows the younger guys just how the position is played.

I would be OK with either Barrington or Ryan starting as the Mike linebacker with the other one being the primary backup. Ideally the Packers will add two players best suited to man the Will linebacker position until the start of the season though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ian Rapoport reports the Bengals will sign Dansby today.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport reports the Bengals will sign Dansby today.

That was one player I was hoping we could sign. Will be interesting to see if the Packers even called him. From what I read, he wanted to land in either AZ, GB or CIN.

On to the draft........where ILB is now a big priority.

D

Deleted member 6794

That was one player I was hoping we could sign. Will be interesting to see if the Packers even called him. From what I read, he wanted to land in either AZ, GB or CIN.

The only free agent inside linebacker I´m moderately interested in now is former Titan Zach Brown.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I clicked on an article mentioning the Packers and Dansby, once opened no mention of the Packers. Classic click bait.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only free agent inside linebacker I´m moderately interested in now is former Titan Zach Brown.

Just guessing, but the one thing stopping TT on signing Zach Brown, would be the loss of the 2017 compensatory pick he now has in the bank for Hayward. Of course, that doesn't mean he may not sign Brown or any other ILB is around after May 12th, when it wouldn't effect the compensatory pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts