Karlos Dansby - Yes or No or For How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread but I didn't see on out there yet.

Karlos Dansby is now available. He is definitely on the ancient end of the spectrum but may have that Peppers kind of longevity in him. The question is, do we go for him as a short term upgrade, 1 or 2 year deal maybe, draft a future long term solution and let him develop slowly or just go rookie from the get go? I think there is value there, but shouldn't be overrated either. Thoughts folks...

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see it happening. Now, with the Starks contract, I don't see it at all.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see it happening. Now, with the Starks contract, I don't see it at all.

We still have money to spend. I bet we aren't done signing players yet (whether ours or someone elses)

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be in favor of signing Dansby to a one-year contract and draft a coverage inside linebacker he can help develop for a year.

We still have money to spend. I bet we aren't done signing players yet (whether ours or someone elses)

Before re-signing Starks the Packers had approximately only $5-7 million to spend. There's not a lot of money available to sign any free agents.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Highly unlikely the Packers look into adding another veteran in the LB core after they wasted 5 million on the dud Nick Perry.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hopefully, Vrill. But with where this contracts cap hit should weigh in, and minus the draft, say roughly $8M left. IMO, TT would prefer much, if not all of that, to be put aside.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully, Vrill. But with where this contracts cap hit should weigh in, and minus the draft, say roughly $8M left. IMO, TT would prefer much, if not all of that, to be put aside.

Don't forget that we have to save some of it for replacement players for guys being put on injured reserve.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly unlikely the Packers look into adding another veteran in the LB core after they wasted 5 million on the dud Nick Perry.

I don't see Perry as a dud at all. I think hes actually a good player. He came on late last season. Hoping he keeps that momentum up this coming year. He was one of the guys I wanted us to keep.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

How with less than 13.1 with Neal and Kuhn still left...

Then Sitton, Lang and or Backtari..

I asked this numerous times in last week, but no one can answer it

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Just no. Not for any price. He is washed up and down completely, imo.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd bet on Kuhn and/or Bak. Or , if not that, nothing .
Ok so Kuhn at 2 mill Bacti.. At what 6?

That's 8 with rookie pool on top of it... And any other players they may need to bring in once season starts..

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so Kuhn at 2 mill Bacti.. At what 6?

That's 8 with rookie pool on top of it... And any other players they may need to bring in once season starts..

I'd agree with you on those parameters.
As far as cap hits, I'd guess 1-1.5M for Kuhn, 4-5M for Bak.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to sign him on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal, then take the gamble and draft jaylon smith in round 4/5 if he's there and sit the year out to completely recover. It's not a sure thing, but his talent could be a game changer if he heals, and he'd have all year or two to do it with dansby in place.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to sign him on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal, then take the gamble and draft jaylon smith in round 4/5 if he's there and sit the year out to completely recover. It's not a sure thing, but his talent could be a game changer if he heals, and he'd have all year or two to do it with dansby in place.

I'd take the gamble on Smith at some point, but we've yet to hear on his long term prognosis, in particular any nerve damage.
BTW, anyone hear anything on if Ott of Iowa got his appeal for another year accepted or denied?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd agree with you on those parameters.
As far as cap hits, I'd guess 1-1.5M for Kuhn, 4-5M for Bak.

Kuhn shouldn't be paid anything more than the veteran's minimum. With Bakhtiari having one year left on his contract and the Packers not having a lot of cap space there's no need to sign him to an extension this offseason.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn shouldn't be paid anything more than the veteran's minimum. With Bakhtiari having one year left on his contract and the Packers not having a lot of cap space there's no need to sign him to an extension this offseason.

I agree that there's no need, but this is a team that has always been very proactive in signing guys with time left on their contracts.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that there's no need, but this is a team that has always been very proactive in signing guys with time left on their contracts.

True, but for the most part the Packers have been in better cap situation during Thompson's tenure than right now.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign dansby to a 2 year deal he's far from washed up. He was the #3 rated lb in coverage last season he has 200 tackles over past 2 seasons along with 2 touchdowns, 8 pd, 3 sacks, 4 int, 2 forced fumbles. If he can be signed for 4/5 million a season we absolutely should he will be a Julius peppers like addition to the defense. Then add a player like Leonard Floyd we can play inside or outside in capers defense and I think we have the makings of a top 5 defense and very possibly a super bowl run. Also I really think we should add Jared cook for 2/3 million a year on a 2 year deal he would add the seam stretching dimension to the offense that's been missing

D

Deleted member 6794

Sign dansby to a 2 year deal he's far from washed up. He was the #3 rated lb in coverage last season he has 200 tackles over past 2 seasons along with 2 touchdowns, 8 pd, 3 sacks, 4 int, 2 forced fumbles. If he can be signed for 4/5 million a season we absolutely should he will be a Julius peppers like addition to the defense. Then add a player like Leonard Floyd we can play inside or outside in capers defense and I think we have the makings of a top 5 defense and very possibly a super bowl run. Also I really think we should add Jared cook for 2/3 million a year on a 2 year deal he would add the seam stretching dimension to the offense that's been missing

I would like to sign Dansby for a reasonable short-term deal as well but no way should we offer him anything close to $4-5 million a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts