Kampman slowing down?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had noticed that Aaron Kampman had an extremely quiet game on Sunday, probably his worst game of the year. Then today I read Dr. Z's power rankings on si.com, and he noticed it too. Here's what he had to say about the Packers (who came in at #27 in his rankings, by the way):

Green Bay Packers (4-8)
I spent a lot of time watching left defensive end Aaron Kampman, as a candidate for my all-pro team. He was going against the Jets' huge but slow-footed Anthony Clement, which should have been a good match-up for him. But he spent the afternoon just spinning his wheels, and then the sad realization came to me. The guy is simply worn out. Not enough relief help. Too much time on the field, battling his heart out in a lost cause.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, thats too bad, cuz that just exposes our bad secondary even more. We need a better pass rush. Did he wear down like this last season?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Kampman is one of the leaders in sacks this year. Teams are chipping him with a TE and RB and if they do rollouts its towards the inferior KGB.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think teams are paying more atttention to him this year, due to his continued emergence as a quality player and also due to the fact that they are paying less attention to KGB than in the past. These factors combined with the fact that he may be a little undersized and is on the field most of the time all factor in to his difficulties.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, kampman is opening things up for other players, since hes requiring more attention. cmon guys...jesus...

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman get's double teamed every game and is the player teams game plan around. KGB is the weak link. Kampman has slowed down but that's only because their is no one on the other side to help open things up.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but the same could be said of Peppers, Freeney or Kearse. The point being that they somehow still find a way to overcome the extra attention they're drawing. I think we're rushing to conclusions with Kampman, its been a rough three games for the defense, I think its only a matter of time before Kampman is back in the thick of things.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but the same could be said of Peppers, Freeney or Kearse. The point being that they somehow still find a way to overcome the extra attention they're drawing. I think we're rushing to conclusions with Kampman, its been a rough three games for the defense, I think its only a matter of time before Kampman is back in the thick of things.

They play on good Defenses. Peppers has Mike Rucker and Freeney has Mathis. Both are very good pass rushers. You can't double team them all game long because then the other guy will get loose. Kampman just can just see the double team all day long because KGB isn't consistent enough to get any pressure from the other side. By no means is Kampman on that level but with a consistent pass from the other side he could really thrive.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB has made some big plays in the last couple of games, be it pressure that lead to an interception or a fumble forced, but yes, I do agree it just hasnt been consistent enough.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB has made some big plays in the last couple of games, be it pressure that lead to an interception or a fumble forced, but yes, I do agree it just hasnt been consistent enough.

That's really the only big play he made. It's just that it was such a big play for us it sticks out in the memory better. Outside of that play Walter Jones took care of KGB. D'Brickashaw Ferguson took care of KGB last week.

KGB will make a big play once every 3 or 4 games. Outside of that he either gets meaningless sacks at the end of the game or is not a factor.

I think they need to cut him and try and resign him to a cheap deal and make him our 3rd down pass rusher.

gator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, and we ALL know that Walter Jones and D'B Ferguson are just average to below average guys.... C'mon--those are two of the best O-linemen in the league,,,give KGB a break--he's filling his role--which isn't to be Reggie White...

As far as Kampman--he's playing a helluva lot more this year than he has in the past--he'd get spelled much more in his previous seasons--I'm not at all surprised he's wearing down a little. Too bad that the powers that be chose to not find another adequate D-lineman so he can get a break from time to time....since they obviously can't draft one.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, and we ALL know that Walter Jones and D'B Ferguson are just average to below average guys.... C'mon--those are two of the best O-linemen in the league,,,give KGB a break--he's filling his role--which isn't to be Reggie White...

As far as Kampman--he's playing a helluva lot more this year than he has in the past--he'd get spelled much more in his previous seasons--I'm not at all surprised he's wearing down a little. Too bad that the powers that be chose to not find another adequate D-lineman so he can get a break from time to time....since they obviously can't draft one.

KGB is filling his role? He has a role? I guess his role is to get dominated by rookie and journeyman tackles game after game. And to fall over every time they rush it to his side.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

D'Brick is a rookie offensive lineman who isn't exactly the best in the league. He's had his fair share of growing pains and was schooled at the Senior Bowl by Mathias Kiwanuka who would be another rookie this year.

Also not sure if anyone has heard or not but it appears one of the changes McCarthy was talking about was KGB. He might be on the verge of getting benched and Corey Williams coule be moving to DE.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should've known this would turn into an anti-KGB thread. People sure love to dump on that guy.

The point of the thread was that the Packers don't have anyone to relieve Kampman, but that got twisted around in a hurry. I haven't watched closely enough lately to see how often Kampman is getting chipped. I know that early in the season KGB was the one getting chipped, and Kampman piled up three easy sacks when he was blocked one-on-one by tight ends or running backs. Those days are over.

I hope Yared-Yam was joking when he wrote that KGB is going up against rookie and journeyman tackles game after game. The left tackle is always the opposing team's best pass blocker, and he's gone up against some good ones this season. Walter Jones, for example, is arguably the best pass blocker in the NFL, and for KGB to record a sack and a fumble against him was a significant accomplishment.

Zero said that opposing teams are running rollouts to KGB's side, but I haven't noticed that. It's hard for right-handed QB's to roll out in that direction. (Favre is an exception, because of his freakish ability to throw well without setting his feet properly.) It seems to me that the vast majority of opposing QB's rollouts are still to the right side, as one would expect. Am I missing something?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman is easily being neutralized.

Ryan Pickett is the only other viable threat on the d-line and he penetrates better for pass pocket collapsing, whoever is next to him at DT--Jenkins or Williams, the other team would rather leave with only 1 blcoker than Kampman...and KGB is too much of a downfield rusher that teams can plan around him with any LT with a quick first step and/or running back help...Alan Branch is looking like a great pick for us in the top ten just to clog the center of the line

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I had noticed that Aaron Kampman had an extremely quiet game on Sunday, probably his worst game of the year. Then today I read Dr. Z's power rankings on si.com, and he noticed it too. Here's what he had to say about the Packers (who came in at #27 in his rankings, by the way):

Green Bay Packers (4-8)
I spent a lot of time watching left defensive end Aaron Kampman, as a candidate for my all-pro team. He was going against the Jets' huge but slow-footed Anthony Clement, which should have been a good match-up for him. But he spent the afternoon just spinning his wheels, and then the sad realization came to me. The guy is simply worn out. Not enough relief help. Too much time on the field, battling his heart out in a lost cause.

I think now it's offenses are realizing they need to chip him with a RB or a TE. The Niners did that to him all day, but he did get half a sack. I don't think he's tired though.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Green Bay Packers (4-8)

I think now it's offenses are realizing they need to chip him with a RB or a TE. The Niners did that to him all day, but he did get half a sack. I don't think he's tired though.

Thx

Kampman is one of the leaders in sacks this year. Teams are chipping him with a TE and RB and if they do rollouts its towards the inferior KGB.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thought is that now he is being figured out by the offensive lines and they are stopping him. We need another guy on our D line to compinsate for him having all the attention to himself.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I miss Grady!

Anyone know how he's doing in Atlanta?

Man...he used to be able to collapse the middle of the line, and alot of times get pressure on the QB up the middle.

The dude was a force....sort of like Gilbert.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Kampman is one of the leaders in sacks this year. Teams are chipping him with a TE and RB and if they do rollouts its towards the inferior KGB.

BTW, I'm surprised no one has said this sooner....

:thumbsup:

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I miss Grady!

Anyone know how he's doing in Atlanta?

Man...he used to be able to collapse the middle of the line, and alot of times get pressure on the QB up the middle.

The dude was a force....sort of like Gilbert.

I haven't heard much lately, but over the first half of the season I heard him described more than once as a "wrecking ball" in the middle...

And Greg C., I don't like to dump on KGB either, but did you notice how very average Gore looked yesterday once McCarthy yanked KGB and put Jenkins there? If you don't count the 72-yarder (which started when Gore ran through KGB's tackle), Gore averaged just over 3 yards a carry - and he came in with a league-best 5.5 ypc.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Well, Kampman is one of the leaders in sacks this year. Teams are chipping him with a TE and RB and if they do rollouts its towards the inferior KGB.

In addition to the fact that Sanders for the last three games has been taking a much more conservative approach to rushing the passer. Anything more than a four man rush has been a rare exception.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The thing about Grady (and Gilbert) is that they were so good at clogging up the middle that there was simply no running up the middle by the other team--the would simply blow up the play. :jumpflame:

You don't see that kind of stuff much anymore!

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Greg C., I don't like to dump on KGB either, but did you notice how very average Gore looked yesterday once McCarthy yanked KGB and put Jenkins there? If you don't count the 72-yarder (which started when Gore ran through KGB's tackle), Gore averaged just over 3 yards a carry - and he came in with a league-best 5.5 ypc.

Yes, the defense was better off on running plays with Jenkins in there. KGB has really been wearing down lately. But San Francisco still moved the ball fairly well, so I don't think this is a cure-all by any means. I was surprised to hear that Gore only averaged just over 3 yards a carry after that long play. It seemed like he was running okay. But I guess he just didn't break any more long ones.

Latest posts