Cheesehead
Reaction score
Koren Robinson Applies For Re-Instatement

Notes: Robinson files to be reinstated
Receiver awaiting Goodell's review
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Sept. 13, 2007

Green Bay - Suspended Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson has submitted his application for reinstatement to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, but it will be at least five weeks before he'll know whether he can resume his career, his agent said Thursday.

Alvin Keels, Robinson's representative, said his client was eligible to reapply for reinstatement 60 days before Oct. 17, the anniversary of the start of his one-year suspension. Robinson filled out the paperwork and is working out in Phoenix while he waits for the National Football League to review his case.

"He has reapplied," Keels said Thursday. "You apply with the commissioner and he has a meeting with all the doctors to determine whether he has been in full compliance. Then he makes a decision from there."

Robinson was first notified of his suspension for violation of the NFL's substance-abuse program last Sept. 18, but was able to continue playing during an appeal process. Goodell ruled against Robinson on Oct. 17, five days before the Packers were to play at Miami. Thus, he can't be reinstated before that date.

The suspension stemmed from multiple alcohol-related arrests, the last a traffic violation that occurred Aug. 15, 2006, in Mankato, Minn., while Robinson was a member of the Minnesota Vikings. Robinson led police on a high-speed chase on his way back to training camp and after finally being pulled over was charged with having a blood-alcohol level of 0.11, above the Minnesota legal limit of 0.08.

As a result of the suspension, Robinson was barred from the Packers' facility and prohibited from association with coaches and front office officials. Robinson was taking part in private counseling and alcoholics anonymous meetings at the time of his suspension and remained in town for most of the season.

Robinson was sentenced to 90 days in jail for violating his probation from a previous alcohol-related arrest in Kirkland, Wash., but was able to serve 45 days of it in a work-release program. He wound up serving some of his time in Kirkland and some in Green Bay. He also served time at the Nicollet County (Minn.) jail from July 18 to Aug. 2 as part of his arrest during training camp last year.

Keels said that with the possibility of reinstatement still pending, he did not think it was a good idea to discuss Robinson's off-the-field life since his suspension. He said the NFL would conduct a full review and that it was in Robinson's best interest not to discuss that aspect of his life right now.

Keels said that Robinson had been working out at Athlete's Performance in Phoenix since his release from the Nicollet County jail, in preparation for a possible return to the NFL. The workout program was designed to mirror training camp so that the transition to football would be easier once he returns.

"He's working extremely hard," Keels said. "I expect him to be in top physical shape. It will take a couple of weeks to get in football shape, but he has committed himself and I would expect him to contribute when he gets back."

Keels said his understanding was that the Packers still want Robinson back, but he said he couldn't predict how Goodell's review would go. He said in some cases reinstatement had occurred within days of the one-year anniversary date, which means it's possible Robinson would be cleared before the Packers' bye Oct. 21.

The week after that the Packers play on Monday night against the Denver Broncos. Keels said NFL rules stated that Robinson would receive a roster exemption for a maximum of one week before the Packers would have to make room for him on the 53-man roster.

"He's very excited about playing again," Keels said.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sentence, IMO, should be for a set period and either the guy being punished follows the plan or doesen't. I wouldn't want the balance of my career based on whether or not some guy calling the shots got laid, or, had other things affecting his thought process at any certain time.

The guy drank. Excessively. If he has quit and can prove he's quit put him back on the field. Otherwise it seems there's a little God roll playing going on there.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if you do what you were supposed to, then you should be reinstated. If you aren't going to let a guy back into the league, you should tell him that right away, not wait a year and then crush his dream. K-Rob messed up, but seems to have done everything right since then. Let's hope Goodell sees that and lets him join the Pack. We definitely need him.

Now if K-Rob did something that we don't know about in his year off, I can see where Goodell would not let him join the team.

Odell Thurman stayed out of trouble during his year long suspension, but did not attend his AA meetings. That was enough for Goodell to not let him come back. Let's hope K-Rob did everything, big and small, to allow him to come and help the Pack out this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if you do what you were supposed to, then you should be reinstated. If you aren't going to let a guy back into the league, you should tell him that right away, not wait a year and then crush his dream. K-Rob messed up, but seems to have done everything right since then. Let's hope Goodell sees that and lets him join the Pack. We definitely need him.

Now if K-Rob did something that we don't know about in his year off, I can see where Goodell would not let him join the team.

Odell Thurman stayed out of trouble during his year long suspension, but did not attend his AA meetings. That was enough for Goodell to not let him come back. Let's hope K-Rob did everything, big and small, to allow him to come and help the Pack out this year.

Agreed.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Odell Thurman messed up while on his suspension. He was arrested for something.

I look forward to seeing Robinson play for the Packers again. I like the guy. That might come from my understanding of alcoholism that ran rampant through my family. Either way, I like him and hope he can continue his curing of his disease in a healthy way.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sentence, IMO, should be for a set period and either the guy being punished follows the plan or doesen't. I wouldn't want the balance of my career based on whether or not some guy calling the shots got laid, or, had other things affecting his thought process at any certain time.

The guy drank. Excessively. If he has quit and can prove he's quit put him back on the field. Otherwise it seems there's a little God roll playing going on there.

Here..here.

He're to K-Rob. :beer: Somebody buy him a shot!

On second thought. Don't do that. :shock:

Here's to hoping that all of TT's free agents don't take 1 1/2 to produce. :pals:

And to the Packers kickin' a little Giant *** today!
:packbeer:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

Here..here.

He're to K-Rob. :beer: Somebody buy him a shot!

On second thought. Don't do that. :shock:

Here's to hoping that all of TT's free agents don't take 1 1/2 to produce. :pals:

And to the Packers kickin' a little Giant *** today!
:packbeer:

Dude! Ease up. It's an hour and a half before the game starts.
At this rate, you'll be bowing to the porcelain god before halftime. :puke:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
anyone know

Reapplied and it won't be decided upon until mid Oct, so maybe if all goes right he could be active come November sometime.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
anyone know

He was suspended for being a bad boy with alcohol and driving too many times.

He applied for reinstatement and SHOULD be back in the Packers locker room middle of October or early November.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone know

milaukek journal sentinal wrote that the commisioner will have a response to his reinstatement by october 14th that will be a one to two week process and im thinking he will be in a packer uniform just in time for the pack after the bye week

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Five weeks before we get word from Goodell? Jeez... slow process.

Oh well. Hope he is working on his conditioning and staying in peak form. Could be a nice late season addition I suppose.

Members online

Latest posts