Juwan Simpson

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my favorite players the last few years at Bama. Unfortunately, he was developed during the Shula regime, which meant lack of discipline on the field, off the field, and in the gym. My jaw dropped when he was the lowest 'backer in the combine bench workout results---he only did 225 lbs 15 times. To put that in perspective, David Loudmouth Irons, a DB from Auburn, did it 14 times.

He had an incident with a gun and weed in his car, though the gun wasn't his and the charges were dropped. Shula only punished him one game versus a no-name opponent.

When he and (2006 NFL defensive rookie of the year) DeMeco Ryans played together, it was a thing of beauty---and I seriously thought Simpson had more athletic ability and potential at the time.

So basically, on paper you have a weak, undisciplined, lazy player who is failing to meet his potential. From my perspective, the above are all something to be accounted for, but he is fast, rangey, and is excellent in pass coverage, and when he has a direct line at an opposing player (much like Saleem Rasheed), he can deliver the big hit. As an all-around LB, he won't make it. He's more apt to become a LB/SS hybrid in my opinion.

The potential is there, I've seen it, and he's got it---but unless a miracle happens, it won't pan out. Too much money and negative persuasion once you reach the NFL. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, because I really enjoyed watching him play.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think he could put on a few pounds to stay at LB? We already drafted a LB/SS tweener who will probably go to SS in Rouse.

OP
OP
T

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely has the frame to add more weight. I'm telling you, if he worked at it, he'd be a fierce LB in high 4.4s low 4.5s. I believe one year he was the fastest guy on our defense. Definitely a Will backer like the scout mentioned; I don't see him taking on guards in the middle or tackles+TEs at Sam. He's okay at run defense but he's much better in space and defending the pass. Kinda like a FS in the linebacker area, and that area gets less and less once you step onto a pro team.

*Random note, his name was Juwan Garth, but he changed it back to Simpson to honor his father who died a few years ago.

Members online

Latest posts