Just Relax

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve Lawrence
PackerReport.com Sep 13, 2006

Packers fans calling for sweeping changes need to be patient, PackerReport.com's Steve Lawrence says. Will Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy be a winning combination? It's far too early to tell. Should Brett Favre be benched? No way.

Before last week’s season opener, first-year Packers coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged there weren’t many people on Green Bay’s bandwagon.

After 99 percent of those fans jumped off it in the aftermath of Sunday’s debacle against the Chicago Bears, that bandwagon now probably consists of family members, and even some of them probably want to jump ship, or at least wear a bag over their heads.

Already, many fans want heads to roll. They want Ted Thompson fired. McCarthy fired. Players cut. On the national level, the pundits already are calling for Brett Favre to not only be benched, but hauled off to pasture or turned into glue.

It’s nonsense, really.

The savannas in Africa don’t become a lush green until wildfires roar through them. In the same way, NFL teams can’t be good all the time. They have to be burned to the ground — which is what Thompson has done — before they can win again.

It’s one thing to criticize your favorite team. All of us at PackerReport.com have taken our turns kicking this dog while it’s down. But it’s another thing to criticize if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

For instance:

Fire Ted Thompson. By the fans’ logic, the Packers were a championship contender before Thompson came here and worked his, umm, magic with the roster. Well, truth is, they weren’t championship contenders anymore. Green Bay’s lack of playoff success in recent years proved that. Mike Sherman made a bunch of moves in a failed attempt to find the missing pieces. What it left was a crumbling roster and a salary-cap headache that Thompson had to clean up through some unpopular moves.

Even I have less confidence in Thompson today than I did at this time a year ago. Thompson intends to rebuild this team through the draft, but only five of last year’s 11 picks made this year’s roster. Last year’s bargain-basement free-agent additions were disasters. It’s too early to pass judgment on this year’s free-agent class, but it’s accurate to wonder if Thompson overpaid for safety Marquand Manuel (exactly 10 professional starts entering this season) and cornerback Charles Woodson (four years removed from being a Pro Bowler). This week’s signing of Koren Robinson smacks of a do-something, do-anything kind of move.

With all of that said, Thompson’s plan deserves some time. To his credit, the Packers not only are out of salary-cap trouble, but are poised to have salary-cap space for years to come by the way he has structured some contracts.

If the Packers are stinking up the joint at this time two years from now, and his 2005 and 2006 draft picks haven’t panned out, and if the Manuel and Woodson signings clearly were mistakes, then we can talk about firing the general manager.

Fire Mike McCarthy. McCarthy has had exactly one game as a regular-season coach. To call for his head is beyond ridiculous.

Didn’t like his run-first game plan on Sunday? Well, it’s pretty much the same plan Vikings coach Brad Childress used in Minnesota’s upset win at Washington. The Vikings stuck with the run even though it was barely effective. That persistence allowed ancient quarterback Brad Johnson to turn back the clock. It also wore down the Redskins’ defense and allowed the Vikings to drive to the winning field goal.

Childress has a huge advantage as far as talent, though. While McCarthy is running behind two rookie guards and a first-time starter at center, Childress has a top-10 pick at left tackle and an All-Pro at left guard.

I hate to turn to this again and again, but it’s true. Good players make good coaches. Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland but is a surefire Hall of Famer for his work in New England. Childress has a roster filled with proven and high-priced free agents. McCarthy is coaching the NFL’s youngest team. Almost certainly, Childress’s Vikings will finish this season with a better record than McCarthy’s Packers. But that doesn’t mean McCarthy was the wrong choice as coach.

Bench Favre. Favre’s final numbers against the Bears were downright ugly. The national media is already starting the bench-Favre talk. Those people, however, probably didn’t watch the game, or only saw the lowlights.

Here’s what I saw when I watched the game for a third time on Tuesday: Favre was 5-for-5 at halftime and completed his first pass of the second half. His next two passes, while not perfect strikes, should have been caught. His ninth pass was a throwaway when struggling Chad Clifton whiffed on a block. He struggled after that. Why? For the same reason Ahman Green ran wild in the second half. The Bears were playing the pass, and Chicago’s secondary is so much better than Green Bay’s receivers (Donald Driver notwithstanding).

Favre’s two interceptions came after the deficit swelled to 26-0. The first of those interceptions came on fourth down.

Obviously, Favre isn’t what he used to be. Obviously, if the losses pile up, there will be a time to consider replacing Favre with Aaron Rodgers, regardless of whether Favre is playing horrible or decent. That time is not now.

Nor is it the time for sweeping changes throughout the organization. These Packers aren’t good. Deal with it. We’ve had almost 15 years of winning to enjoy. Be thankful for the past, and be patient now and for the immediate future.

Lawrence is a regular contributor to PackerReport.com. Send comments to [email protected].

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well written no doubt. I think there is definitely something to build on here. By the 5th or 6th game I think we will know exactly what we have and where we need the upgrades. Til then and beyond, I'm no family member but come hell or high water, I will always be a Pack fan. It's actually nice to have some streching room on this wagon ;)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone is allowed his own opinion but I run a business with 50 employes and IMHO TT´s´biggest mistake so far is the hiring of MM (Mickey Mouse McCarthy) then the hiring of MM (Marquand Manuel).

Some people may think it is unfair, crazy, stupid to call McCarthy a bust, nut that is my opinion.

And YES TT had to clean up the house, but this doesnt buy him a free pass..

This will be a long season, and we´d better be ready for a real high draft pick, I will say 1st or 2nd.

I wish I am wrong.

But time will tell

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Regarding a free pass I don't think anyone is giving anyone a free pass, except Brett, but I think he's kind of earned his. 3 MVP, Sb win etc.

Even with that being said. I think some people are saying others are giving Ted a free pass because they actually giving him a chance to do his job as Packers GM.

That's great you run a business. I really don't see how that is relevent to a NFL GM hiring a NFL Coach.

Are you saying because you have your own business you could have hired someone better?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with him about Favre. I'm really getting sick of people bashing Favre. They have no idea how much worse, yes, worse, we'd be if Favre were gone.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah why did you feel the need to throw that in chamuko. it has NOTHING to do with the decisions and choices TT makes. but congratulations none the less. HAHA by the way... IM IMPORTANT

just kiddin man, i agree that TT doesnt get a free pass but he gets more than a year i know that.

and yes i do think its crazy, unfair, stupid to call McCarthy a bust. His previous teams have been the saints and the 49ers. you cant base your opinion on his previous teams that involved garbage for talent... and you cant base your opinions on one game. well i take all that back. you can base your opinion on anything you want to... it just might be disregarded by most .

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it,......fact is.....we have no choice but to wait and see what happens. So why not roll with it? It's not like the Packer brass is gonna say "Hold the presses! Someone at Packerforum wants us to make a different move!!!"
Your only choice is to go root for a different team.
So, be a fan, let the guys do their job (and reap the rewards, or the firing they end up deserving) and get ready to watch the next game.
In the end, our opinions (and thats all they are, opinions) don't matter a hill of beans in what the Packer organization does.
If you don't like it, like i said, you can go pick a different team to be a fan of. Thats your only real choice.

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on his decisions so far, I don't see how anyone can have blind faith in TT to get the job done at this point. As a matter of fact, people should be downright concerned.

In 2 to 3 years, when Favre is long gone, I think the Packers will be lucky to be a .500 team. In fact, we will be the Cleveland Browns. That's based on the decisions that I see TT making now, and I doubt his decision making process will get any better.

I wish that it would, but I just don't see it. He could have given Favre and the offense a little support this year, thereby giving this team at least a chance to win, but for some reason, he just seemed to refuse to do it.

I'm sorry, but imo starting the season with two rookie guards and the WR receiving corps that TT has in place is just plain crazy, and not very smart--GM wise.

It's going to be a long season Packer fans, and a long couple of years. Get used to it.

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Based on his decisions so far, I don't see how anyone can have blind faith in TT to get the job done at this point. As a matter of fact, people should be downright concerned.

It's not about blind faith. It's about letting the man do his job before we call for his head on a pole. It's one thing to question his moves and quite another to demand him to be fired after 1 year of being a GM. (I know it's his 2nd year, but people have been doing this since last year.)

It's going to take time for TT to get it done, if he does get it done. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
majikman said:

It's not about blind faith. It's about letting the man do his job before we call for his head on a pole. It's one thing to question his moves and quite another to demand him to be fired after 1 year of being a GM. (I know it's his 2nd year, but people have been doing this since last year.)

It's going to take time for TT to get it done, if he does get it done. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Exactly.

If a NFL team could be built solid from top to bottom as fast as fans demand then everyone would be doing it.

Not everyone can build a solid NFL team. The verdict is still out on Ted. I like some of his moves and disagree with probably as many of his moves and lack of.

Bottom line. All I care about is the W's in the column.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Rome wasn't built in a day...........and neither can a football team.
Gotta have some patience.

BUT
BUT BUT

Ted inherited a PLAYOFF team!!

Oh yea thats right. The rest of the division blew chunks and we got stomped out of the playoffs right away.

Dagummit!!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:

That's the great thing about the NFL, or all sports for that matter, because we don't have to judge people by "blind faith", we have an established criteria for measuring their performance. It's called the win/loss record. That is absolutely the only basis by which any team, GM or coaching staff can be measured.

So far, the Packers are 4-13 since TT came here. Everyone can form their own opinion as to whether or not that indicates a successful program or not.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, ignoring all the other factors involved in last season is ignorant! im not saying you're ignorant, but ignoring the facts is!

cmon now. TT doesnt get a pass, but he doesnt deserve all the blame either (donde esta, DP. we need (i dont remember that part of spanish) a lock probably)

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

I remember people said the same thing about Sherman and look how that turned out, and imo, TT is going to be WORSE!

He's not going to provide the talent and MM isn't going to be able to coach it to get wins in the win column.

As Lare said, it's all about the wins baby, and TT is 4-13 and counting...

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
cheesey said:

I remember people said the same thing about Sherman and look how that turned out, and imo, TT is going to be WORSE!

He's not going to provide the talent and MM isn't going to be able to coach it to get wins in the win column.

Now you're just being a pessimistic future predictor. :roll:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
cheesey said:

If you are patient one time and it doesn't pay off, that doesn't mean you should never be patient again.

It's like judging a garden after two weeks. No vegetables! Tear it up and plant a new one! After all, a garden is judged by how many vegetables it produces, right?

I'm not saying that Thompson is going to get the job done, and neither is the author of that article. Overall, I haven't been particularly impressed with Thompson so far. The point is that it takes at least a few years to judge a GM who is rebuilding a team. It gets boring listening to people harp about the GM every single day.

Members online