Just How Good Does the Defense Need to Be?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two games we lost last season were on the offense.

The defense got its turnovers and was middle of the league in points given up if you take away week 17 (too many starters being rested to count).

The defense can always be improved. We need a better secondary and the pass rush leaves something to be desired. But we could have gone undefeated last season with the defense we had.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To late.... I already hate Crapers.... He says... the "young guys are our biggest challenge"... duh, get off your *** Crapers and do your job.... His hair even sucks!
Honestly.... I thinks Capers is an ***. Or has his head up his ***..... either way, the guy needs to gooooo!
So this poster is still bitter about Thompson not acquiring RB Lynch during a Super Bowl winning season and this is his opinion of the current DC of the Packers. I haven’t seen Bears fans express this kind of vitriol for Packers players or staff. He doesn’t cite facts or stats and judging from post #22 he has trouble understanding the written word. With “fans” like this…

Pity the poor Packers fan (if he is indeed one) who apparently couldn't enjoy a title season because he harbors this kind of hatred for members of the Packers coaching staff.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not "flamed" but how about just "challenged"? On another thread you posted:I answered:

"Capers has been the Packers DC for three seasons now. In ’09 his D was 7th in scoring D, allowing 18.6 pts/game. In ’10: 2nd in scoring D allowing 15 pts/game and last season 19th in scoring D allowing 22.4 pts./game. Beyond that in the passing league that is today’s NFL, his Ds have finished first in the league with 30 INTs, second in the league with 24 INTs, and first in the league with 31 INTs respectively. Add in the fumbles recovered and Capers’ Ds have averaged forcing 2.3 turnovers per game. So in his three years in Green Bay his Ds have averaged surrendering 18.7 pts/game while McCarthy’s offenses have averaged 29.3 pts/game. (All stats are regular season results.)

The D was bad last season, no doubt about that. Certainly Capers shares responsibility for that. But do you think there was an effective pass rusher he left on the bench? Should he have benched Williams because of his injured shoulder? Does Thompson share any of the blame? Should Capers be judged on his entire body of work in Green Bay or just one season? Just curious: How could a Packers fan not be a fan of his scheme during the 2010 season?"

I don't think my response can fairly be considered "flaming" but you didn't respond. BTW, I appreciate fans who thoughtfully challenge conventional wisdom, care to respond to the questions I posed above here?
- - -
To answer the question posed by the thread, IMO Capers' D has to be average by his standards in Green Bay. And I'll post it again: How the D performs late in the season is more important than how it does early. And that plays right into the youngsters on D gaining experience as the season goes on.

BTW wxman2003, no way Hayward will be waived, perhaps you meant Hargrove? If it is Hargrove you meant, he has received very limited snaps because of his suspension. As I remember it, it will cost the Packers nothing to keep him on the roster for the first half of the season and then he'll be available, fresh legs and no wear and tear, at very little cost. He may be waived, but I'll be surprised if he is.

I don't have stats and all the numbers like you do. So I'm sure it will sound like I don't have facts. But I'm just speaking my opinion. I just recall being very frustrated every single game last year when the defense was on the field. I also recall saying every single game, "this is the game the defense will improve" and it never happened. I know some of you will say he only worked with what he had because of the injuries, but every NFL team is faced with injuries, it is the leader's role to find everyone's strength and make adjustments. Capers kept trying to play the rookies as if he had the veteran's from the season before. This is what I meant by over complicating the defense schemes. Most guys on the field looked lost, even myself that have probably 1% of knowledge of what the offensive coordinators do in the NFL, I was picking up the blitzes and I could find the mismatches easily. Look at the Texans. They were hit with every injury probably possible, but they adjusted to what they had to work with and made it work. They even went to their 3rd string QB and found ways to make it work as good as they could. I didn't see any adjustments like that on the Packers Defense all last year.

I think Capers was lucky to come into a team that had very talented veteran's in 2010 and they adjusted well to his style, but all those guys left town and he made no adjustments. Like stated by a member in earlier, Capers does have a record of starting out great, then he just starts getting worse. Don't get me wrong, I love the Packers and trust the team to make the right calls, but I can't say I'm a fan of Dom Capers and his inability to make adjustments on games.

And sure I know it is not all Capers fault, because that's what being a team is. Everyone's effort put together to get results. But I really think this will be his last year in GB. I hope I am wrong and this defense shows me up. But I just don't see it. We might not be the worst defense, but I think this defense will be on the 10 worst.

M

Mr Pickle

The defense we had that won the last Super Bowl has one BIG thing missing 'Cullen Jenkins'. We had more than just one pass rushing threat. As we all know the preseason means very little and our measuring stick will be when we play the Bears. There is a team that has improved and are stocked and ready...

M

Mr Pickle

So this poster is still bitter about Thompson not acquiring RB Lynch during a Super Bowl winning season and this is his opinion of the current DC of the Packers. I haven’t seen Bears fans express this kind of vitriol for Packers players or staff. He doesn’t cite facts or stats and judging from post #22 he has trouble understanding the written word. With “fans” like this…

Pity the poor Packers fan (if he is indeed one) who apparently couldn't enjoy a title season because he harbors this kind of hatred for members of the Packers coaching staff.

If that comment is directed at me, you have not a clue as to what the hell you are talking about..... There is no bigger fan on the planet. Get a life... I also enjoyed the title season in which we took over New Orleans. Celebrated at the post game party with the players, coaches and 'fans'. Ate dinner with Ray, spoke and held the trophy with Fritz (God rest his soul) as you probably sat in your easy chair with your calculator, divising 3.9 per carry as opposed to 4.2 per carry and who needs a running game when you have such an incredible one demensional passing attack.... I have no hatred for anyone, just call em as I see em... as i am doing with you. So wake up get off your butt and go get a life. GO PACK!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I have no hatred for anyone, just call em as I see em...
If you don't hate anyone, why did you post:
To late.... I already hate Crapers.... His hair even sucks!
Advocating for the waiving of a player or the firing of someone in the front office is one thing but why resort to name-calling of someone on the Packers' staff? As I posted, I haven't seen this kind of hate directed at the Packers by their rivals; why in the world would someone calling himself a fan post it?

As to "get a life", do you not recognize the irony of using that tired refrain? I know you were confused on another thread so perhaps you don't: You are accusing someone of not having a life as they engage in the exact same activity in which you are engaging. And I see evidence of you not fully understanding what is posted so I'll spell this out for you again: NFL Statistics are posted on hundreds if not thousands of websites. You too have access to them - no need to use those complicated calculators.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our current defense was designed to showcase Woodson. His play has diminished, and its time to re-tool the defense to showcase a different, younger player. Say... Matthews?

Please expalin to me how Woodsons play has "diminished". He still had a ton of tackles last year and like 7 int's with a touchdown...on a team with no pass rush! Yes he may not run a 4.38 fourty time anymore but he still makes plays all over the field.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Please expalin to me how Woodsons play has "diminished". He still had a ton of tackles last year and like 7 int's with a touchdown...on a team with no pass rush! Yes he may not run a 4.38 fourty time anymore but he still makes plays all over the field.
One can still be productive even when one's play is diminishing. I will also say that it hasn't "diminished" much and even a " diminished" Woodson is still better than alot of players out there.

Also, I believe I have already said this before, but "The Only Pickle I Know?"

M

Mr Pickle

Can't we all just get along? Jezzzzzzz.... I love ya'll like brothers from a different Mother. Loosen up, we'll have a good season regardless of all this BS that's spread around in here... Cause that's what it is BS. It adds up to (not 3.9 or 4.2) but 0, absolutly 0. Opinions, ya know what they say about them? We all have one, it's just that some of 'us' talk through 'em. So sit back and enjoy the season and suck back a few cold ones, if that's what ya'll suck back... Go Pack!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't we all just get along? Jezzzzzzz.... I love ya'll like brothers from a different Mother. Loosen up, we'll have a good season regardless of all this BS that's spread around in here... Cause that's what it is BS. It adds up to (not 3.9 or 4.2) but 0, absolutly 0. Opinions, ya know what they say about them? We all have one, it's just that some of 'us' talk through 'em. So sit back and enjoy the season and suck back a few cold ones, if that's what ya'll suck back... Go Pack!

Amen bro!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey I wasn't the one who posted "I have no hatred for anyone" after posting he hates Capers and also took personal shots at the current Packers' DC. I consider that kind of vitriol and personal attacks classless even if it's directed at opponents. Even more so when someone calling himself a Packers fan directs it at a Packers player or staff member. (Also, I'm not the one who posted "get a life".) IMO it's ironic after you posting multiple times what you did about Capers that you post about "all this BS that's spread around here". It looks to me like you're driving the manure spreader lately.

This is a message board. The essence of it is exchanging ideas and opinions. If you don't want your opinions and particularly your hatred for a member of the Packers staff challenged… And stats can be misinterpreted but they do represent objective data. If they are too confusing for you or you simply don't understand them that's OK but fans of nearly every sport occasionally cite them in order to back up an opinion. IMO that renders their opinions less BS and more valid because they are actually backed by facts. Anyway, it appears to me you're the one that needs to "loosen up", "sit back" and relax.

M

Mr Pickle

Hey I wasn't the one who posted "I have no hatred for anyone" after posting he hates Capers and also took personal shots at the current Packers' DC. I consider that kind of vitriol and personal attacks classless even if it's directed at opponents. Even more so when someone calling himself a Packers fan directs it at a Packers player or staff member. (Also, I'm not the one who posted "get a life".) IMO it's ironic after you posting multiple times what you did about Capers that you post about "all this BS that's spread around here". It looks to me like you're driving the manure spreader lately.

This is a message board. The essence of it is exchanging ideas and opinions. If you don't want your opinions and particularly your hatred for a member of the Packers staff challenged… And stats can be misinterpreted but they do represent objective data. If they are too confusing for you or you simply don't understand them that's OK but fans of nearly every sport occasionally cite them in order to back up an opinion. IMO that renders their opinions less BS and more valid because they are actually backed by facts. Anyway, it appears to me you're the one that needs to "loosen up", "sit back" and relax.

As I said, suck back 'whatever' it is 'you' suck back..... Go Pack!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was obsessed with turnovers, and the tackling suffered because they were going for the ball instead of the man, imo. The d-backs were jumping routes instead of playing their zone for the same reason. And there was ZERO pass rush. It's on the players, not Capers. They'll be fine this year if they buy into the scheme, and they generate a PASS RUSH.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our biggest problem last year was lack of pass rush and with the way the QBs and teams today are pass happy that will kill you. We need to improve the pass rush bottom line or we will be in the same situation as we were last year with the D relying on the offense to bail them out. We are a better team than that, I have faith the D will step it up this year.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
The defense was obsessed with turnovers, and the tackling suffered because they were going for the ball instead of the man, imo. The d-backs were jumping routes instead of playing their zone for the same reason. And there was ZERO pass rush. It's on the players, not Capers. They'll be fine this year if they buy into the scheme, and they generate a PASS RUSH.

best opinion I've seen this entire thread.......... thank you.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with our ball hawk defense we need a good pass rush. Nick perry will take some pressure off Matthews. If they are able to hurry up the QB our defensive backs will be able to get picks or at least swats at the ball.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a good feeling that Mike Daniels will be a great addition on third downs. He looks like he could be a great one-on-one pass rusher. The playoff loss to the Giants showed the Packers inability to get off of the field on 3rd down.

M

Mr Pickle

Not "flamed" but how about just "challenged"? On another thread you posted:I answered:

"Capers has been the Packers DC for three seasons now. In ’09 his D was 7th in scoring D, allowing 18.6 pts/game. In ’10: 2nd in scoring D allowing 15 pts/game and last season 19th in scoring D allowing 22.4 pts./game. Beyond that in the passing league that is today’s NFL, his Ds have finished first in the league with 30 INTs, second in the league with 24 INTs, and first in the league with 31 INTs respectively. Add in the fumbles recovered and Capers’ Ds have averaged forcing 2.3 turnovers per game. So in his three years in Green Bay his Ds have averaged surrendering 18.7 pts/game while McCarthy’s offenses have averaged 29.3 pts/game. (All stats are regular season results.)

The D was bad last season, no doubt about that. Certainly Capers shares responsibility for that. But do you think there was an effective pass rusher he left on the bench? Should he have benched Williams because of his injured shoulder? Does Thompson share any of the blame? Should Capers be judged on his entire body of work in Green Bay or just one season? Just curious: How could a Packers fan not be a fan of his scheme during the 2010 season?"

I don't think my response can fairly be considered "flaming" but you didn't respond. BTW, I appreciate fans who thoughtfully challenge conventional wisdom, care to respond to the questions I posed above here?
- - -
To answer the question posed by the thread, IMO Capers' D has to be average by his standards in Green Bay. And I'll post it again: How the D performs late in the season is more important than how it does early. And that plays right into the youngsters on D gaining experience as the season goes on.

BTW wxman2003, no way Hayward will be waived, perhaps you meant Hargrove? If it is Hargrove you meant, he has received very limited snaps because of his suspension. As I remember it, it will cost the Packers nothing to keep him on the roster for the first half of the season and then he'll be available, fresh legs and no wear and tear, at very little cost. He may be waived, but I'll be surprised if he is.

Man, after just 15 minutes, I'm sold on that defense!!! I believe our defensive worries are over!!! Just to add, I also believe our rushing game issues have been resolved as well, did you see Benson hit that hole! AND FUMBLE??? Rest assured, Rodgers will be our leading rusher! I guess we should just up his contract status $$$ and forget about adding any reputiable sincere addition with the run... $$$ you get what you pay for. Perry looks like a fat, sluggish, walk on....

I'm sure we can conjure up some stats on his past and justify this draft... can I get a stat on Perry? And a possible ammount of weight he needs to lose in order to be able to get around the corner of a 340 tackle? Go Pack and all their knowledgable 'sheep'....

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Man, after just 15 minutes, I'm sold on that defense!!! I believe our defensive worries are over!!! Just to add, I also believe our rushing game issues have been resolved as well, did you see Benson hit that hole! AND FUMBLE??? Rest assured, Rodgers will be our leading rusher! I guess we should just up his contract status $$$ and forget about adding any reputiable sincere addition with the run... $$$ you get what you pay for. Perry looks like a fat, sluggish, walk on....

I'm sure we can conjure up some stats on his past and justify this draft... can I get a stat on Perry? And a possible ammount of weight he needs to lose in order to be able to get around the corner of a 340 tackle? Go Pack and all their knowledgable 'sheep'....
I guess you're right... we should just trade Rodgers, Jennings, and our first round draft picks for the next three years to Jacksonville for MJD. Because running the ball has worked so well for them. I mean look at all the championships they've won recently. Knowledgeable goats must be heeded

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
First you have to determine what a top 10 defense is. Do you go by the NFL's stats? Which is based solely on yards? Or do you go by points? Which is more meaningful? While the Packers may have been 32nd in defense according to the NFL, they were 19th in points given up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
... did you see Benson hit that hole! AND FUMBLE??? ... Perry looks like a fat, sluggish, walk on.... I'm sure we can conjure up some stats ... Go Pack and all their knowledgable 'sheep'....
You post like a Vikings fan. Or a Thompson hater. How will you feel if Capers gets the defense playing as it did during his first two seasons in Green Bay? How horrible for you if Perry turns out to be the answer opposite Matthews – you won’t be able to cheer his tackles for loss, or any pressures or sacks he records. And you’ll have to sit on your hands if Benson scores. As a Packers fan I can’t imagine being conflicted as I watch the Packers win a title. But you don’t have to imagine it: Your hatred for Capers must have ruined Super Bowl XLV for you. If you really are a Packers fan, how sad for you.

You want a stat? I’ll give you one that relates to how you post on this board. You are 0 for 104 in posts and in a display of class. That’s no way to post on a board (supposedly) of your favorite team and that’s no way to go through life. IMO that's 'a pickle' indeed.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last year
Collins went out and no one was able to handle his job..They had to do it on the fly and it never panned out.
This year
they have had all offseason to find out who can handle it..Time will deal if they found him..

Last year
Tramon had bad shoulder couldnt tackle for crap..In fact he was on record stating he would let up coming to a runner believing a teammate would get the tackle...But was put out there anyways.
This year
he looks to be back to his old self.

Last year
No real pass rush, which led to wr running longer routes to get open...
This year
We added considerable depth to the line to help that exact issue..Again time will tell if it works

My conclusion is Capers couldnt get what he wanted from the players, because they were not capable of doing what he needed..That lies on Ted

This year it is all on Capers, and word I have heard is he wants out after this year...Might be why Ted went crazy with the draft picks?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To late.... I already hate Crapers.... He says... the "young guys are our biggest challenge"... duh, get off your *** Crapers and do your job.... His hair even sucks!

If your a mechanic, and you got the best newest 5/8 wrench, could you take off a 1/2 nut?

Figure out what I mean by that and then maybe your view on Capers will change

M

Mr Pickle

You post like a Vikings fan. Or a Thompson hater. How will you feel if Capers gets the defense playing as it did during his first two seasons in Green Bay? How horrible for you if Perry turns out to be the answer opposite Matthews – you won’t be able to cheer his tackles for loss, or any pressures or sacks he records. And you’ll have to sit on your hands if Benson scores. As a Packers fan I can’t imagine being conflicted as I watch the Packers win a title. But you don’t have to imagine it: Your hatred for Capers must have ruined Super Bowl XLV for you. If you really are a Packers fan, how sad for you.

You want a stat? I’ll give you one that relates to how you post on this board. You are 0 for 104 in posts and in a display of class. That’s no way to post on a board (supposedly) of your favorite team and that’s no way to go through life. IMO that's 'a pickle' indeed.

I love you man! Does Perry actually even resemble 'the answer'? Yea, I really suffered through that season and title... Class, **** me. The only class you can associate with is lower. You are a typical packer sheep fan... you probably wear one of those packer hats has lights on it... Are you the guy we see in the stands with his shirt off, weighing 300 lbs., with GO PACK stickers over your breasts? Sounds to me like you have a pickle fetish???? Or pickle envy???

Members online

Latest posts