Just found this on craigslist..

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Haha, this is great. I'd be inclined to say this was me, but alas, it wasn't. I'd like to shake the hand of the fan that made this though.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
That was flipping awesome. Would be awesome if the Packers tried to use this against Slocum.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is the coach being blamed?
Isn't it the players who aren't doing so well?
What is the coach supposed to do to make them better if the opposing special team defense is better?
The other thing is that those, on any team, do not return kicks that far down the field.
So what is weak about the Packers special teams?
Enlighten me, please.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
What is the coach supposed to do to make them better if the opposing special team defense is better?
The other thing is that those, on any team, do not return kicks that far down the field.
Enlighten me, please.
It's the coach's job to tweak the players and the organization of plays to make them work. On top of that, if they're not performing, it's his job to motivate them, or train them, or do whatever. Sure there are injuries, but look what a good coordinator like Capers does with injuries. He finds players to fill holes, instead of making excuses.

Can you imagine if Slocum came out and blamed the ST pitfalls on the players? He would be fired so fast.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx for the response.
Which leads to another question:
How do you think the Packers ST could be better?
(Love your Kurt Warner quote BTW, Incubes. So true.)

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Thanx for the response.
Which leads to another question:
How do you think the Packers ST could be better?
(Love your Kurt Warner quote BTW, Incubes. So true.)
I am in no place to say that I could possibly make the ST better, but I do believe it can be better. Since I stepped up and said it, I'll try to defend my point anyways:

1. We haven't had a solid kick/punt returner in years. I think that would be step one. I don't think it comes down to blocking either, I've seen holes open up, but the returner's always seem to make the wrong decisions. If he does find a hole, we don't have anyone fast or explosive enough back there to take it to the house. It's not sufficient to have a returner who excels somewhere else (CB, Safety, what have you) and just plug him in at the position because he might be okay at it. We need someone who is primarily a good returner. At a position that can turn the tide of a game quickly and put up 6 points instantaneously, I think we should have a top notch guy.

2. Sort of related to #1, we should not have our primary CB returning punts!!!! This won't necessarily improve our ST, but it's a poor decision to put personnel in at such a dangerous ST position who are so valuable elsewhere!

3. Better decision making. NOT always punting to good returners like DeSean Jackson and Devin Hester. It's okay to risk it if it's early or we have a good lead, but don't tell me you weren't holding your breath on that last punt of the game on Sunday. This is ESPECIALLY important in a situation like ours, when our team is riddled with injuries to the point that we can't even fill defensive positions or ST positions with guys originally on our roster. Of course our coverage is going to be suspect in these cases.

4. Pick a guy and stick with him, if we aren't going to look for someone either in the draft, or eventually in FA, to return kicks. I saw Woodson, Starks, and Shields all return kicks on Sunday. How is one guy going to fill the role and get good at it (if that's the plan) if we're constantly rotating our guys?

5. Tackling. After the Pats game, need I say more? Sometimes it's best to just bring the guy down instead of trying to take the ball away. It's one thing if you're going after a guy who fumbles a lot because he holds the ball out, it's another if you're going after a 300 lb lineman who cradles that thing like a baby.

6. This is where I get a little vague, because I don't know what goes on in practice, and I'm not versed enough in football to say that I know what SHOULD go on in practice. There HAS to be some extra time devoted to ST play in practice, whether it's more drills, more rehearsal, more scenarios, I really don't know what, but something is missing, especially when we're covering a punt or kick.

I don't think blocking on returns has been particularly bad, it's our inability to give the ball to a team and prevent them from getting good field position. Late in the game, when time is winding down, it's ALL about field position, a battle we're constantly losing. You want to know the reason our ST has done well lately? TIM MASTHAY (and to some degree Jarrett Bush). The fact that he's been punting so well means opposing returners don't even get a chance to get a big gain, either opting for a fair catch, or not touching the ball. Big kudos to that guy and I hope he remains consistent and has a great career with us.

Slocum? It's time for him to go. Too many games that have (arguably) been lost on ST play.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanx for your insights....
So we are OK in all other areas of ST?
(Kick offs, field goals and extra points?)

And what did you (Or anyone else) think of the first punt the Pack did and that player touched the ball so it had to back to the Eagles?
Seems like he was pushed into it intentionally.
I know that rules are rules, but something just didn't seem right or fair about that one.
I think the Eagles player knew what he was doing....

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Sorry, but I just want to add, that there are so many teams that you hear talking about "going back to basics" and "staring with fundamentals." I think this is what we should be doing EVERY time we switch ST around. Sometimes they get out there and it seems like they don't know what to do.

Oh, and I've found that of all the things said of Favre over the years, Kurt Warner really put it best. It basically sums up my feelings about Favre, and how I hope one day, Favre realizes and takes what Warner said to heart. Not just so he can get into the HOF as a Packer, or retire as a Packer or anything, but because he really truly recognizes how special his time was here, for both himself and his fans.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Thanx for your insights....
So we are OK in all other areas of ST?
(Kick offs, field goals and extra points?)

And what did you (Or anyone else) think of the first punt the Pack did and that player touched the ball so it had to back to the Eagles?
Seems like he was pushed into it intentionally.
I know that rules are rules, but something just didn't seem right or fair about that one.
I think the Eagles player knew what he was doing....
I got to the bar a little bit late and missed that punt, so I can't really comment on it.

All I can really say about Kickoffs is that the same general principles apply to punts and kickoffs when I mention our inability to cover them.

I don't know too much about what goes into a FG, we had someone on here a while ago get real in depth into the mechanics behind the whole issue. You know, the long snapper, the holder, the kick, the weather, etc. Of course there will be mistakes with all of that, but to be honest, when it comes to kicking a ball through the uprights, it's all about confidence and focus. Every kicker that makes it into the NFL obviously has the talent and consistency to be a good kicker, but the second that kicker loses his confidence in himself, and thus loses focus, he starts missing one after another (see the normally phenomenal David Akers).

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
After the Eagle's game I feel the Packers need to get a better understanding up the rules of ST is.

First, do NOT touch the ball if you went out of bounds, even if you suspect that you went out of bounds, back up and start blocking, let someone else touch the ball if you need to down it. This has to be the dumbest reason for a flag the Packers got this year.

Second, as shown in the Eagles game, if you are not going to run the ball, stay clear of the ball, shout the safe word and scram. I give the Eagles a lot of credit for being so brutal on this. A masterpiece for them.

Third, keep up what you guys are doing on onside kicks, in big games, when you are choosing to be ballsy, don't doubt yourselves and get the ball. (One of the brightsides of our special teams.)

Fourth, tackle the guy with all you got, don't think if you try to bring him down he will go down, and don't just go for the take away, if he is chugging along, smack him to the ground, if his ball handling skills seem off, think what would be the best strategy of taking him down and turning the ball loose.

Fifth, if you are going to play the keep away game, no forward passes, its fun to watch, but once the flag is thrown, we all groan.

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enlighten me, please.

Yeah it is the players. The kick coverage and punt coverage are terrible. We also could use a franchise returner.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Eagle's game I feel the Packers need to get a better understanding up the rules of ST is.

First, do NOT touch the ball if you went out of bounds, even if you suspect that you went out of bounds, back up and start blocking, let someone else touch the ball if you need to down it. This has to be the dumbest reason for a flag the Packers got this year.

Second, as shown in the Eagles game, if you are not going to run the ball, stay clear of the ball, shout the safe word and scram. I give the Eagles a lot of credit for being so brutal on this. A masterpiece for them.

Third, keep up what you guys are doing on onside kicks, in big games, when you are choosing to be ballsy, don't doubt yourselves and get the ball. (One of the brightsides of our special teams.)

Fourth, tackle the guy with all you got, don't think if you try to bring him down he will go down, and don't just go for the take away, if he is chugging along, smack him to the ground, if his ball handling skills seem off, think what would be the best strategy of taking him down and turning the ball loose.

Fifth, if you are going to play the keep away game, no forward passes, its fun to watch, but once the flag is thrown, we all groan.
Are you basing your post on things you only saw the Pack do during the Eagles game?
If so, examples please?
Because I don't recall the Pack doing all those things you mentioned.
Did they onside a kick?
Did one of the Packers players step out of bounds?
Etc, etc.

Latest posts