Just another MM lost his touch, AR12 was subversive, we need Kolin thread.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthys inability to adjust and get away from the norm cost him his job. I’m sure he’s a good man, I don’t question that. If the fans and even the talking heads on these Football shows call you predictable and boring you can’t keep doing the same thing man. Football is a game of adjustments...I understand that most coaches will script what they want to do to start a game, but the great ones will find something else if that’s not working.

McCarthy would run his scripted plays no matter what was happening...why do you think Rodgers would audible?? And they’d butt heads? Rodgers is out there and sees what the defense is doing first hand. Now it’s definitely clear why they were so bad at managing the clock and literally wasting timeouts. Rodgers may have been surveying the defense and trying to get them out of a bad play....and in some cases he would run what was called to avoid burning a timeout. McCarthy should have focused more on the overall aspect of the game and let Philbin just call the plays from upstairs. Our passing plays and route designs leave a lot to be desired....Rodgers most the time has to hold the ball and Adlib.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthys inability to adjust and get away from the norm cost him his job.
I get that all of us are disappointed about the way this season unfolded but let's take a moment to reflect on how fortunate we are to be fans of a classy franchise like the Packers.

I agree that it was time to move on from McCarthy but no matter how we feel about about coaching being an issue in the team struggling I couldn't be more proud of the way the front office handled replacing him as we hopefully move on to being more successful over the rest of Rodgers being the starting QB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25469590

GO PACK GO!!!
...over the rest of Rodgers being the starting QB.

No need to read between the lines here. A hobbled Aaron Rodgers is the huge elephant in the room--the issue Coach McCarthy is said to have the inability to adjust to. As if last season's collar bone fracture wasn't enough, his knee injury severely limited his ability to quickly respond to an aggressively reacting defense. Had Aaron remained in top shape, McCarthy's coaching would have continued to produce a winning season.

Meanwhile another NFL QB, who's taken his team to the Super Bowl, languishes in the dungeon of political pettiness. While giving Rodgers a much-needed rest, Colin Kaepernick would certainly not have done worse. This waste of talent is nothing but stupid.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r-not-calling-on-colin-kaepernick/ar-BBQAbfi?

Last edited:
Reaction score

No need to read between the lines here. A hobbled Aaron Rodgers is the huge elephant in the room--the issue Coach McCarthy is said to have the inability to adjust to. As if last season's collar bone fracture wasn't enough, his knee injury severely limited his ability to quickly respond to an aggressively reacting defense.

Rodgers should of been benched, but to proud to except that, but who would take his place.
McCarthy needed someone to save the day again even when Rodgers wasn't 100%.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

No need to read between the lines here. A hobbled Aaron Rodgers is the huge elephant in the room--the issue Coach McCarthy is said to have the inability to adjust to. As if last season's collar bone fracture wasn't enough, his knee injury severely limited his ability to quickly respond to an aggressively reacting defense. Had Aaron remained in top shape, McCarthy's coaching would have continued to produce a winning season.

Meanwhile another NFL QB, who's taken his team to the Super Bowl, languishes in the dungeon of political pettiness. While giving Rodgers a much-needed rest, Colin Kaepernick would certainly not have done worse. This waste of talent is nothing but stupid.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r-not-calling-on-colin-kaepernick/ar-BBQAbfi?

While I kind of get what you are saying and I would have agreed with it more last year, but even with a healthy (or almost healthy Rodgers) this year, the Packers couldn't even beat the Cardinals at home and have looked less than average most of the season. A team should not be built around having to rely on one players successes or failures. Unfortunately, last year and this year are pretty solid proof (to me) that while the Packers have a great FHOF QB behind center, the FO and coaches didn't do a good enough job with all the other moving parts.

Last edited:

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I kind of get what you are saying and I would have agreed with it more last year, but even with a healthy (or almost healthy Rodgers) this year, the Packers couldn't even beat the Cardinals at home and have looked less than average most of the season. A team should not be built around having to rely on one players successes or failures. Unfortunately, last year and this year are pretty solid proof (to me) that while the Packers have a great FHOF QB behind center, the FO and coaches didn't do a very good job with all the other moving parts.
Saying AR was almost healthy is like saying the Titanic remained almost seaworthy.

You can't blame his diminished passing ability on poor coaching.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you had me until colon!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Saying AR was almost healthy is like saying the Titanic remained almost seaworthy.

You can't blame his diminished passing ability on poor coaching.
I don't think you fully understood my post. I wasn't "blaming" AR's "diminished passing ability on poor coaching". Some great teams, even Super Bowl teams have survived the loss of their starting QB, the Packers have not been built to survive either the loss of AR (2017) or a diminished AR (2018). I put that on the FO and coaching.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any chance he's just really not a very good QB? If the criterion is taking one's team to the SB, check out the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

With the number of qualifiers one can throw out to support a particular position, I won't name names, but I think anyone can tick off a few of those names as players that languished in the dungeon, regardless of politics.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This further proves my suspicions that McCarthy has always been an excellent coach. He knows how to build a team and coach them not only on the game, but on life. His kryptonite from day 1 was play calling (and gameday in general) and I believe this team would have seen multiple Super Bowl appearances with him had he relinquished play calling duties from the start.

He's also sometimes been just a little too loyal sometimes for his own good. I mean loyalty is a good thing, but he held onto Dom Capers longer than he should have and didn't kick Hundley off the team soon enough.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any chance he's just really not a very good QB? If the criterion is taking one's team to the SB, check out the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_starting_quarterbacks

With the number of qualifiers one can throw out to support a particular position, I won't name names, but I think anyone can tick off a few of those names as players that languished in the dungeon, regardless of politics.
Very few QB's would have done worse than AR--especially in that last game with the Red Birds.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put aside all the outside stuff and distractions with Kaepernick. You would think with some of the stuff you read and hear that the guy was a great quarterback or one of the best in the game. Not even close on either count. That and the fact that he hasn't thrown a football in a game in nearly two years in and of itself would scare a lot of teams off.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.

Just absolutely, no.
I hate the fact that Kapernick has the political crap hanging over him... because without it things would be much more clear. Personally, I do not believe he is a good NFL QB... he was failing and getting benched long before the kneeling. NFL defenses had figured him out and he was not progressing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps.... but it now has somehow made a mediocre to bad QB a Future HOF in some minds.
Cowherd has said that Kaepernick's main claim to (football related) fame is that he played great against the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts