Just a thought on Ryan Longwell...

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I respect how good of a kicker Longwell is, and I hope that the Packers find a way to re-sign him.

There is one thing that bothers me about him though...

He always has an out if he misses a FG or in last week's case, an extra point as well. I mean, I don't care if Sander missed the spot by a little bit or the tilt wasn't exactly right. He should be good enough to adjust and put the ball through the uprights. I can see if the FG is a long one or whatever, but on the extra point, I think he should be able to put it through. I think it gets old to hear him complain about the placement, tilt, etc. I know there is probably some truth to this, but he should share some of the blame.

Anyone else get tired of his comments regarding the holder? :?:

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is complaining about the holder... the first thing we better do is get him someone he is comfortable with. We can see many more misses if Ryan isn't comfortable with his holder. This guy has been automatic for so many years that we should take his word on this one.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
If he is complaining about the holder... the first thing we better do is get him someone he is comfortable with. We can see many more misses if Ryan isn't comfortable with his holder. This guy has been automatic for so many years that we should take his word on this one.

I hear what you're saying and I can't totally disagree. My problem is that, for example, on an extra point, you would think that most kickers could battle through and get the ball through if the hold isn't "perfect".

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I respect how good of a kicker Longwell is, and I hope that the Packers find a way to re-sign him.

There is one thing that bothers me about him though...

He always has an out if he misses a FG or in last week's case, an extra point as well. I mean, I don't care if Sander missed the spot by a little bit or the tilt wasn't exactly right. He should be good enough to adjust and put the ball through the uprights. I can see if the FG is a long one or whatever, but on the extra point, I think he should be able to put it through. I think it gets old to hear him complain about the placement, tilt, etc. I know there is probably some truth to this, but he should share some of the blame.

Anyone else get tired of his comments regarding the holder? :?:

Gee, this sounds familar...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having been a kicker, I will vouch for this. It is impossible to make an adjustment in midkick and still make the fieldgoal.

Especially if you are used to kicking it from the same set everytime.

I don't really like Longwell a whole lot but he is not to blame on the missed kicks, IF indeed the holder was at fault.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longwell stood up for rob davis last week, so I dont really understand most of this thread. Davis admitted fault, and Longwell stood up for him, cuz hes been rock solid for so many years.

Engine321

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine yourself teeing off on the 18th hole on the PGA tour. When you're bringing your club forward from it's back swing, you notice that the ball has been moved from it's normal spot in your stance, and on it's tee. You, let me know if you are going to hit it square everytime?
Longwell is rock solid with many records to prove it.
Know This!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 04 Longwell help win the close games. In 05 preseason against San Diego with a new holder hit 53 yarder in the rain. Final year of contract.

The Packers have lost 4 games by a combined 9 points. A made field goal or extra point here or there would be a significant difference in this season.

How many years are left in Longwell's leg? How much is a contract based on projected future performance worth?

Should the Packers have listened and taken his concerns about holding more seriously?

Kick off distance and kick off returns should be considered. The final Viking drive started around their 35. If they started at the 20 could they have gotten in field goal range?

Ted Thompson has no emotional investment in Longwell annd will be making his assessment. If signed Longwell will have to earn an 06 roster spot in open competition.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into this year Longwell was the most accurate kicker in the NFL. The problem this year has got to be the holder.
Bringing in Doug Pederson to do nothing but hold might not be a bad idea if we want to win more than 1 game this year.
Longwells downside has always been his short kickoffs regularly giving the opponents good field position.

Engine321

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kick off distance and kick off returns should be considered. The final Viking drive started around their 35. If they started at the 20 could they have gotten in field goal range?

Longwell's average is around 62 yds. The leader Rackers out of Arizona is around 72 yards (playing in a completely different environment). The Pack's special teams then allows roughly 25 yds. in return average, the leader being around 18.
Though individuals can be blamed in some instances, Longwell can not be blamed in this one.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Packmaster...i mean OB1..

you were a kicker?

interesting....

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think Packmaster and OB1 are the same person. They are posting from different regional IP's. In fact I think Packermaster was Chase/SW etc.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longwell's record speaks for itself. He has earned the right to complain. Too bad, because Sander has done a good job punting. Maybe Aaron Rodgers should work at holding.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Longwell's record speaks for itself. He has earned the right to complain. Too bad, because Sander has done a good job punting. Maybe Aaron Rodgers should work at holding.

I'd like that, it would open us up to having a trick play on a FG or PAT. :)

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that Bill Parcells cut kicker Jose Cortez Monday for missing a 29 yard field goal against the Seahawks.

In his seven games with the Cowboys, Cortez made 12-of-16 field-goal attempts. Longwell is only 6 of 9.

I guess the Eagles picked Cortez up already.

Latest posts