Jumal Rolle

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and goodson is still on the team...accomplishing little to nothing on special teams. At least he is dressing.............BRADFORD.........

OP
OP
Hincha

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....and goodson is still on the team...accomplishing little to nothing on special teams. At least he is dressing.............BRADFORD.........

There is still time for Goodson, Bradford, Janis and the other rookies from this draft class that are still not really contributing. Packers are draft and develop team, it does not happen overnight for all the draft picks and never happens for some.

Only time will tell, not throwing the towel in on any yet.

But I would have preferred to keep Rolle over Goodson (at this point).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rolle, just like Goodson, wouldn't have played over anyone else in our secondary, so his impact would have only be on special teams anyway.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not throwing in the towel but I really question them keeping Goodson over Rolle. Rolle is younger and seemed to perform better. I will just have to have faith that TT did not keep Goodson solely because he drafted him and did not draft Rolle.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rolle, just like Goodson, wouldn't have played over anyone else in our secondary, so his impact would have only be on special teams anyway.

With Williams and House set to become free agents it would have been nice to have Rolle on the roster who has proven in Houston that he's an NFL caliber CB. I dob't think anybody would have picked up Goodson from our practice squad.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Williams and House set to become free agents it would have been nice to have Rolle on the roster who has proven in Houston that he's an NFL caliber CB. I dob't think anybody would have picked up Goodson from our practice squad.

Good point. Although Rolle would not help us out this season, he may have future seasons.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They obviously see a better upside with Goodson but I’ve always preferred players who performed in college as opposed to combine performers. So Rolle's better play in TC should have elevated him. I wouldn't think another team would try to lure Goodson form the PS but the Packers front office has a better feel for that than any of us IMO. In any event, Carl is right – if everyone is healthy Rolle wasn’t going to play from scrimmage.

As to Bradford, IMO the Packers made a mistake by not putting him at ILB on day one. The idea was to leave him at his more familiar OLB spot but with the glut of players there and the need at ILB… I really thought he was drafted to play ILB.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He got a couple INTs but he can't be playing too great otherwise or he wouldn't have been on the bench the last 3 weeks.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not throwing in the towel but I really question them keeping Goodson over Rolle. Rolle is younger and seemed to perform better. I will just have to have faith that TT did not keep Goodson solely because he drafted him and did not draft Rolle.
You sound as if TT has never cut a draft pick or kept a FA. Neither is true by any stretch.

D

Deleted member 6794

He got a couple INTs but he can't be playing too great otherwise or he wouldn't have been on the bench the last 3 weeks.

Well, Rolle has more interceptions than Goodson has snaps on defense. Rolle played nearly all of his snaps after the Texans best cornerback, Kareem Jackson, got injured and missed some weeks. Nobody expected Rolle to keep the starting job once Jackson returned but he did a decent job during those games.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Rolle has more interceptions than Goodson has snaps on defense. Rolle played nearly all of his snaps after the Texans best cornerback, Kareem Jackson, got injured and missed some weeks. Nobody expected Rolle to keep the starting job once Jackson returned but he did a decent job during those games.

He is playing less snaps than Darryl Morris and AJ Bouye but yeah it's all because of Jackson that he's on the bench. I don't see how Rolle would have played any more than Goodson has had he stayed here.

D

Deleted member 6794

He is playing less snaps than Darryl Morris and AJ Bouye but yeah it's all because of Jackson that he's on the bench. I don't see how Rolle would have played any more than Goodson has had he stayed here.

Once again, I agree that Rolle wouldn´t have had any impact this season but with Williams and House set to become free agents he could have been a valuable asset in the future.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I agree that Rolle wouldn´t have had any impact this season but with Williams and House set to become free agents he could have been a valuable asset in the future.

That's kind of where we're at right now. We didn't need Rolle to do much last year, but with a year in the system, he'd really ease the pain of having 3 corners potentially departing in free agency.

The price we'll pay for keeping Goodson is having to overpay to keep House or Williams, or addressing CB with probably a high pick. Unless Goodson takes a huge step forward this year -- holding out hope, but I think he's more likely to be a training camp cut.

Sky King

Reaction score
Too bad Rolle is spilt milk. It would be highly unusual for Thompson to overpay for any position. Instead, I think he's more inclined take a flyer on some talented guys who, for one reason or another, may have slipped below most teams' radar. And with a little luck maybe they could provide rare value as fill-ins at the back of the roster. Here's just one specific example:

Brandon Hardin, CB Oregon State, was drafted by the Bears in the 3rd round in 2012. He's 6'3", 220 lbs. and ran a very impressive 4.38 40 on his pro day. He was the Pac-12's best gunner on STs for three straight seasons, an absolute beast. He's known as a really big hitter -- too big, sometimes. He's also known to be a scholarly, high-character guy. He's a natural CB even at his size, so, naturally the Bears chose to convert him to Safety.

He was injured in his first camp with the Bears (stinger) and was stashed on IR. He injured his shoulder (similar to Davon House) during a preseason game during his second camp with the impatient Bears (new) Trestman regime, and he was released on the final roster cut. The Jets signed him to a futures contract during the season and he again got injured (foot) near the end of his third camp. The Jets then cut him. He's still only 25.

Talent does not seem to be his issue, but minor injuries have been. Nothing career-ending, but rather of the nagging variety that guys sometimes are eventually able to put behind them, like Mike Neal finally seems to have been able to do. With his potential he could back-up all positions in the defensive backfield and also could possibly replace an aging Jarret Bush as a gunner/reserve DB. Chris Banjo can't be taught to be bigger and faster like this guy already is.

Drafting at 30th the team would seem to have no other choice but to explore several FA options such as players like this one. As a minimum wage value guy for the 80 man roster, what's not to like? FAs like him auditioning on the 80 man roster just might produce a winner or two. I'll wager that some of you know of an available FA out there with a similar profile.

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no denying the Packers could use Jumal Rolle in 2015 after losing both Tramon Williams and Davon House in free agency. While some of us wondered why the Packers kept Demetri Goodson on the 53 man roster instead of Rolle it´s mindboggling the team didn´t promote Rolle after Andy Mulumba tore his ACL in week 2. The Packers had an open spot on the 53 for two games before the Texans grabbed Rolle of our practice squad.

That was without a doubt a poor move by Thompson.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers cut Rolle to make room for Goodson. The Packers have made their bed with him. Hayward is a slot corner and Hyde is so slow if he has to cover a talented receiver he will be the opposing team's highlight reel. It would be a big mistake to panic and draft a CB high in this draft to fill their hole in the secondary. CB's take time to develop and the Packers have big needs at ILB, TE and NT. Whether Goodson starts or some other player TT picks off the scrap heap the Packers will be forced to play more nickel and dime packages to provide safety help to the new kid at CB.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was under the impression that they kept Goodson over Rolle because Goodson ended camp with a concussion. He was injured.

As such, they couldn't cut and re-sign him to the practice squad, they would have had to waived him injured, given him a settlement, and then not be able to re-sign him for 8-10 weeks.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT liked Rolle enough he could have and would have added him. He kept Bradford and Janis on the active roster and never really let them play....Bradford never dressed. He also had the open roster spots as mentioned above. He added Perillo who never played as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers cut Rolle to make room for Goodson. The Packers have made their bed with him. Hayward is a slot corner and Hyde is so slow if he has to cover a talented receiver he will be the opposing team's highlight reel. It would be a big mistake to panic and draft a CB high in this draft to fill their hole in the secondary. CB's take time to develop and the Packers have big needs at ILB, TE and NT. Whether Goodson starts or some other player TT picks off the scrap heap the Packers will be forced to play more nickel and dime packages to provide safety help to the new kid at CB.

The Packers don't have to play nickel or dime to provide safety help over the top. I don't think there's a huge need to add another TE.

If TT liked Rolle enough he could have and would have added him. He kept Bradford and Janis on the active roster and never really let them play....Bradford never dressed. He also had the open roster spots as mentioned above. He added Perillo who never played as well.

The Packers only carried 52 players on the active roster for two weeks before the Texans signed Rolle off out practice squad. In hindsight it's tough to understand that move by Thompson.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was under the impression that they kept Goodson over Rolle because Goodson ended camp with a concussion. He was injured.

As such, they couldn't cut and re-sign him to the practice squad, they would have had to waived him injured, given him a settlement, and then not be able to re-sign him for 8-10 weeks.

IR?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s a good packersnews.com story on Goodson and Rolle: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-on-rolle-theres-always-some-regret/70355350/

As the story says, Goodson did suffer a concussion in the last preseason game and the Packers would have had to waive him to get him to the PS, as mradtke66 posted. First, they would have to do an injury settlement with him and then wait six weeks to re-sign him. But that’s not the most important consideration. They had a roster spot available after Mulumba was injured in week 2.
It was a bit more quizzical why Rolle wasn't promoted after Mulumba tore his anterior cruciate ligament against the New York Jets in Week 2. Since it was unlikely any practice-squad player who was promoted would be activated on game day, Thompson rolled the dice that he could promote a prospect if another team called. He lost that wager when Rolle bolted for Houston
I think Thompson’s miscalculation was depending upon Rolle to contact the Packers after another team contacted him. If Rolle (or his agent) had done that, I think it’s likely Thompson would have elevated him to the active roster to keep him.

I think Rolle 'bolted' because he saw a chance to play right away in Houston, as opposed to waiting behind the (at the time) very deep secondary in Green Bay. And if he didn’t understand the Goodson situation (injury settlement, etc.) he may have been justifiably pissed after clearly outplaying him, it looked like Goodson was in front of him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s a good packersnews.com story on Goodson and Rolle: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-on-rolle-theres-always-some-regret/70355350/

As the story says, Goodson did suffer a concussion in the last preseason game and the Packers would have had to waive him to get him to the PS, as mradtke66 posted. First, they would have to do an injury settlement with him and then wait six weeks to re-sign him. But that’s not the most important consideration. They had a roster spot available after Mulumba was injured in week 2. I think Thompson’s miscalculation was depending upon Rolle to contact the Packers after another team contacted him. If Rolle (or his agent) had done that, I think it’s likely Thompson would have elevated him to the active roster to keep him.

I think Rolle 'bolted' because he saw a chance to play right away in Houston, as opposed to waiting behind the (at the time) very deep secondary in Green Bay. And if he didn’t understand the Goodson situation (injury settlement, etc.) he may have been justifiably pissed after clearly outplaying him, it looked like Goodson was in front of him.

So Thompson essentially didn't promote Rolle because he falsely believed he could keep Rolle either way if another team called. The only benefit we stood to gain is saving the prorated difference between a rookie minimum salary ($420,000) and a practice squad salary. ($107,000). We held the spot open for 2 weeks of a 17 week season, or 2/17ths of the season. (.085)

420,000 - 107,000 = 313,000
313,000 × .084 = 36823.53

We literally lost Rolle over $36,823.53. Pretty poor decision by Thompson.

Members online

Latest posts