Julius Thomas for Randall Cobb?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Cobb, and I think he's got plenty of talent and is a versatile chess piece. That being said, we have a player in Adams who has shown has can step up to be that new #2 receiver in my opinion. What I think our offense really needs is a big, go-to tight end with good hands that creates matchup problems, particularly in the red-zone. Obviously if we could snag JT and keep Cobb that would be amazing, but it would never happen. Would you approve of letting Cobb walk to pursue a guy like Thomas?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. First, Cobb is a better player who is also more versitle. Secondly, we know what we have in him and expensive free agents have a high chance of being a bust. Third, I think our current three WRs plus Quarless/Rodgers is better than Jordy, Adams, and Thomas. Finally, don't want to give big money to a TE when we just spend a 3rd pick on one who did some good things. Rodgers could end up really good.

D

Deleted member 6794

I love Cobb, and I think he's got plenty of talent and is a versatile chess piece. That being said, we have a player in Adams who has shown has can step up to be that new #2 receiver in my opinion. What I think our offense really needs is a big, go-to tight end with good hands that creates matchup problems, particularly in the red-zone. Obviously if we could snag JT and keep Cobb that would be amazing, but it would never happen. Would you approve of letting Cobb walk to pursue a guy like Thomas?

No, Cobb has a great track record with Rodgers, especially when #12 is forced out of the pocket. I don't want the Packers to let the best slot receiver in football walk, not sure Adams is capable of playing there efficiently.

I agree with Carl that high priced free agents often don't work out and there's no guarantee Thomas would be as succesful in green and gold than he was in Denver.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb for sure, but reading this really makes you miss the threat Jermichael was.

OP
OP
Brandon

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley had his moments, but the back-end of his short career came with a lot of drops and some unwarranted penalties. He did have that meanness to him though that every team should have.

D

Deleted member 6794

Finley had his moments, but the back-end of his short career came with a lot of drops and some unwarranted penalties. He did have that meanness to him though that every team should have.

Finley had too many drops and was inconsistent at times but he was way improved in the second half of 2012 and really dominant at the start of 2013 before he got injured.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer Jordan Cameron. I think he might be obtainable on a shorter contract with a lower payday to try to prove himself again and set himself up next time. I don't think Cameron would cost us Cobb.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would rather see them pursue Jordan Cameron. Sounds like he doesn't want to resign with Cleveland, cant blame him. Only concern with him is his concussion history, but the guy has great stats with terrible QB's

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL Adambr2.....we were both thinking the same thing, but you beat me to the Post button!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am suprised to see such high praise for jermicheal finely. I feel we haven't had a strong TE since bubba franks. Finely was constantly hurt, dropping passing, getting in his own head, etc. If we make a play in free agency, it shouldn't be for a TE at all. We need an impact defensive lineman or inside linebacker to get on point at stopping the run.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley had too many drops and was inconsistent at times but he was way improved in the second half of 2012 and really dominant at the start of 2013 before he got injured.

What do you think the chances are of Finley still wanting to play, getting cleared, and the Packers resigning him?

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you think the chances are of Finley still wanting to play, getting cleared, and the Packers resigning him?

I've said it all of last offseason that Finley won't play another down in the NFL. I'm sticking with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am suprised to see such high praise for jermicheal finely. I feel we haven't had a strong TE since bubba franks. Finely was constantly hurt, dropping passing, getting in his own head, etc. If we make a play in free agency, it shouldn't be for a TE at all. We need an impact defensive lineman or inside linebacker to get on point at stopping the run.

Over the last 12 games before he suffered the spinal injury vs. the Browns (taking the Bengals game out of the consideration when he suffered an early concussion) Finley had 57 receptions for 672 yards and 4 TDs.

While those numbers aren't as impressive as Gronk's or Graham's they're pretty good consideration Rodgers had Nelson, Cobb, Jones and Jennings (for 7 games in 2012) to throw to.

In addition the Packers don't have a comparable receiving threat at the position on the roster so I would be glad to still have him on the team.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me get this right, Adams has a great playoff game against Dallas and now in your eyes he is ready to overtake Cobb for the #2 WR spot? Wrong. You need more to judge him off of than one great game. In my opinion taking into account all games played by Adams last year he was average. There were countless times him and Rodgers were not on the same page. Seeing as how Adams is a rookie I'll say the majority of those were probably on him, not running the right route or what have you. He also dropped balls and had Packers fans frustrated. He showed glimpses of being a very solid WR but in no way shape or form is he ready to put Cobb under him.

I do not want to lose Cobb. He has the intangibles. He catches some crazy balls, is small, fast, elusive and knows how to get yards after the catch.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nope. Cobb and JT. The money is there. Cut the dead wood (Hawk & Jones) and make it happen like the Pats did when they signed Revis & Browner (and others) last offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

Last October Finley filed a claim against his $10 million insurance policy. That would indicate he's not looking to return to the game.

H

HardRightEdge

Nope. Cobb and JT. The money is there. Cut the dead wood (Hawk & Jones) and make it happen like the Pats did when they signed Revis & Browner (and others) last offseason.
Julius Thomas will be quite expensive. That kind of cap, if available, should be spent on the defensive side of the ball if at all.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julius Thomas will be quite expensive. That kind of cap, if available, should be spent on the defensive side of the ball if at all.

Unfortunately, so will Cobb it seems. By the end of the season he was projected as making $8 mill per year for a slot receiver. Now folks in the know are projecting his contract to be up in Jordy Nelson range at $10 mill per year. It's likely somebody will offer Cobb that kind of money in FA.

Can the Packers afford that and should they offer him that much??

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm iffy on Julius Thomas. Is he a product of Peyton Manning? Or is he really THAT good? And honestly, the back half of this past year, Thomas didn't look that good. Ran bad routes and fell out of Manning's favor.

I need to see a bigger body of work on Thomas, otherwise, he could be one of those flash in a pan players.

D

Deleted member 6794

So let me get this right, Adams has a great playoff game against Dallas and now in your eyes he is ready to overtake Cobb for the #2 WR spot? Wrong. You need more to judge him off of than one great game. In my opinion taking into account all games played by Adams last year he was average. There were countless times him and Rodgers were not on the same page. Seeing as how Adams is a rookie I'll say the majority of those were probably on him, not running the right route or what have you. He also dropped balls and had Packers fans frustrated. He showed glimpses of being a very solid WR but in no way shape or form is he ready to put Cobb under him.

I do not want to lose Cobb. He has the intangibles. He catches some crazy balls, is small, fast, elusive and knows how to get yards after the catch.

First of all let me be clear that I think it's a must for the Packers to re-sign Cobb.

But I want to reply to your criticism of Adams and put his rookie season into some perspective. It's not fair to compare his numbers to Beckham, Landry, Benjamin or Evans. None of these rookies had guys like Nelson and Cobb ranked ahead of them on the depth chart. In addition while Adams' numbers aren't spectacular he had more receptions during his rookie season than Nelson and Cobb and nearly as many yards as they did.

I expect him to turn into a reliable and consistent #3 WR starting next season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a terrific player, a playmaker. Not only in the slot, but he can move around and make plays even lining up in the backfield. He's a big play threat catching and running the ball, and a potential game breaker returning kicks.
His ability to get open when Rodgers moves out of the pocket shows an almost psychic link between them.
He's a character guy, and at 25, his best is yet to come.
He'll cost- a lot. I believe the Packers understand that, and are willing to 'pay up'. The key for them will be how the contract is structured.
The biggest key will be Cobb. If he is bound and determined to become a UFA, then it may not matter how much the Packers want him and how good of a job TT does putting a contract together.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way, I bet Cobb ends up with the Franchise tag if we can't come to an agreement with him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way, I bet Cobb ends up with the Franchise tag if we can't come to an agreement with him.

I thought so before, but I just don't know if we're going to be willing to dedicate $12M of cap room for Cobb.

I love Cobb and I want to keep him, but at our price.

I tend to have a little more cautious outlook on Cobb than those that think he's a must re-sign. Cobb is not without his flaws. He has a unique skill set, but he's not a big WR that can be trusted to win 1 on 1's without a great throw. He's less of a deep threat than Jordy, and he's not great at gaining separation from DB's.

All hard things for me to say because I love Cobb, but I'm far more confident in our offense continuing to roll with or without Cobb, than I am about Cobb continuing to play at a high level if he were to end up in a situation where he didn't have a top 15 QB throwing him the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

Unfortunately, so will Cobb it seems. By the end of the season he was projected as making $8 mill per year for a slot receiver. Now folks in the know are projecting his contract to be up in Jordy Nelson range at $10 mill per year. It's likely somebody will offer Cobb that kind of money in FA.

Can the Packers afford that and should they offer him that much??
I was replying to a post that stated the Packers could afford both Cobb and Thomas. While that might be true,it would be imprudent.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts