Julius Thomas for Randall Cobb?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical. Suppose Cobb gets blown away in free agency and does end up walking.

Meanwhile in Minnesota, Greg Jennings is sitting on an $11M cap number this year and will be asked to renegotiate his contract. If he doesn't and is cut, would he be an acceptable replacement to bring him for a cheaper James Jones-like deal?

Nah. Old. Nowhere near Cobb's moves. Crazy sister. Seemed like kind of a ****** when he left.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's a hypothetical. Suppose Cobb gets blown away in free agency and does end up walking.

Meanwhile in Minnesota, Greg Jennings is sitting on an $11M cap number this year and will be asked to renegotiate his contract. If he doesn't and is cut, would he be an acceptable replacement to bring him for a cheaper James Jones-like deal?

I don't think that would be a good move after what Jennings said about the guy we have now after he left in free agency.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think this goes in the same category as the Suh and Rice threads. Take back a disgruntled 31 year old with the talent potential they already have plus TTs receiver acquisition abilities? Don't even see it being a possibility.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think this goes in the same category as the Suh and Rice threads. Take back a disgruntled 31 year old with the talent potential they already have plus TTs receiver acquisition abilities? Don't even see it being a possibility.

I'm not saying it would happen or that I would want it to happen but I think we Packer fans take things way too seriously. I take that back I think all fans take things way too seriously. Its not common for players who move on to come back to teams they already left once but I think that has far far more to do with the fact that management didn't think enough of them the first time around to keep them than it does with any sort of animosity between player and team.

I was happy as hell when Ahman Green came back and set Packer records. He was and remains one of my favorite Packer players of all time. Granted he didn't leave with the dirty laundry that Jennings did but I don't see that as a major stumbling block in a Packers/Jennings reunion. Most likely his age and salary demands would be much more of an influence. He is not going to get vet minimum like so many Packer fans would say is all he deserves.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the right price, I have no question that Jennings could easily be a Packer again. But I still wouldn't want to lose Cobb in order to have room for Jennings and I don't want to lose Cobb and gain Julius Thomas either. If we're going to be paying that money, I'd rather have Cobb.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was more playing devil's advocate than anything but I agree with sschind that the animosity is overblown.

Greg made some comments that made him sound like kind of a **** and I think he's realizing now how much he really did benefit from his QB, but I never sensed the bridge was so badly burned that he could never play here again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought it was more of a case of him getting paid and trying to talk up his new "girlfriend" and maybe a little slight to the ex girlfriend while trying to convince himself he made the right decision. Then he found him self in a hole and instead of shutting up, he took a couple more digs with the shovel before he realized he was just getting deeper.

As stupid as it sounded and everything else, and I'm sure there was a bit of animosity there, but not a lot, I think it would all go away before the ink even dried on the contract

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob gives good money comparisons, but even his mention of Janis doesn't make sense to me.

I sure wouldn't let Cobb go banking on Janis playing a huge role.

I wouldn't let Cobb go for $9M per, this is a no-brainer right?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

For the right price, I have no question that Jennings could easily be a Packer again. But I still wouldn't want to lose Cobb in order to have room for Jennings and I don't want to lose Cobb and gain Julius Thomas either. If we're going to be paying that money, I'd rather have Cobb.

Sorry but Greg Jennings shot himself in the foot with his stupid remarks. I for one wouldn`t want him back in our ranks. JMHO

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but Greg Jennings shot himself in the foot with his stupid remarks. I for one wouldn`t want him back in our ranks. JMHO
But we're just fans, I'm saying I have no doubt he'd fit back in with the Locker room relatively quickly. They'd probably give him crap, he'd probably take it and they'd go about their business. He can catch, he's smooth, he's familiar with the offense and the qb. He's getting older, and isn't going to get a big contract from us, but I have no doubt he'd be productive for the right price.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

But we're just fans, I'm saying I have no doubt he'd fit back in with the Locker room relatively quickly. They'd probably give him crap, he'd probably take it and they'd go about their business. He can catch, he's smooth, he's familiar with the offense and the qb. He's getting older, and isn't going to get a big contract from us, but I have no doubt he'd be productive for the right price.

I just don`t buy it sorry. You are probably right but I just couldn`t buy into it. I guess I`m just bitter and twisted :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, "old man Cobb" is almost rocking chair ready. ;)

Well I wouldn't put it past a Ted hater to say something crazy like that (not saying you are one of them), and that's where I thought you may be heading with that. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TT's apparent metric he's probably gotten too old, especially if signing him stunts the development of an up-and-comer. Seems highly unlikely.
I don't think it is very likely either, but we have no idea what Janis brings to the table. Well I guess we do, we just don't know if it will ever transfer to the field and JA was hurt all year too. Boykin fell off the face of the earth. If Cobb is gone, we have Davis going into year 2 and Nelson. I think Rodgers will be ok at TE, but for the right price and I repeat, for the right price, I think Jennings could easily fill a void for a year or 2.

I just want Cobb back at around 8 or so per and call it a day.

Sky King

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't put it past a Ted hater to say something crazy like that (not saying you are one of them), and that's where I thought you may be heading with that. ;)
Nope not a hater of TT, MM or anyone else, including the oft maligned Capers or the recently departed Slocum. A waste of time and energy. Besides, I want Packer coaches to succeed greatly. When I read a rant by a Giants fan a few years back stating that he hoped his team lost the SB (so that they would finally fire Coughlin) that put it all in perspective for me.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know the accuracy of the 9M that Randall wants, though. If he wants 9M by all means we should be getting something done in the 8M-9M area. But there was a rumor last spring that Shields wanted 4 years and 24M. Which of course is a far cry from what he got.

H

HardRightEdge

Had Jennings departed with the perfunctory "it's business" comments and left it that, the door would have been open for a possible return. But he went on to say that Rodgers does not hold himself accountable and that the Packer organization "brainwashes" players into thinking the Packer way.

He burned his bridges; he'll never be back.

Latest posts