Julius Peppers

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why assume he is done? He had 7.5 sacks this year. It's a bit of a dropoff but still a good number, after putting up 11.5 in 2012. Also keep in mind this last year he was the sole source of pass rush coming from that D-line, he had no help at all.

He's a very unique talent. Not all 34 year olds are created equal. We'll see what happens.

7.5 sacks for Peppers is a "drop-off", but 5.5 sacks for Neal is a "standout, breakthrough year". Sometimes this forum confuses me.

I agree with your second point too. The other three starters on the Bears line were injured (Henry Melton and Nate Collins) or playing out of position (Corey Wotten). Peppers had no help last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why assume he is done? He had 7.5 sacks this year. It's a bit of a dropoff but still a good number, after putting up 11.5 in 2012. Also keep in mind this last year he was the sole source of pass rush coming from that D-line, he had no help at all.

He's a very unique talent. Not all 34 year olds are created equal. We'll see what happens.

Watching him the past year I was not impressed. It seemed like he didnt care and was going thru the motions...

I wish I am 100% wrong

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7.5 sacks for Peppers is a "drop-off", but 5.5 sacks for Neal is a "standout, breakthrough year". Sometimes this forum confuses me.

I agree with your second point too. The other three starters on the Bears line were injured (Henry Melton and Nate Collins) or playing out of position (Corey Wotten). Peppers had no help last year.

4 of Neal's sacks came in the last 5 games, which at his point of his career suggest an upward trajectory. Peppers' reduced total does suggest his age being a factor. However, I do agree that Peppers production was a result of Offensive scheming and blocking. With Matthews on the field teams will not be able to give him the same sort of attention.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching him the past year I was not impressed. It seemed like he didnt care and was going thru the motions...

I wish I am 100% wrong

He played a lot of snaps, I believe 83%. Players deserve some reprieve from effort critiques when they don't come off the field.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wish I am 100% wrong

He was mimicking his quarterback.

In all seriousness, Peppers has had motivation issues since his Carolina days. He sees a legitimate chance to play for a Super Bowl in Green Bay. I don't think motivation will be a problem here.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wish I am 100% wrong

Okay, so look at it another way. By your accounts he was unmotivated and seemed to be going through the motions. He also had no help on D. He had 7.5 sacks, which is a pretty good pass rusher. 7.5 sacks would have led our team.

So would you assume then that he can do better than that if he becomes more motivated in Green Bay and that a return to 11-12 sacks is not out of the question? He'll have help on the other side and we have the depth to keep him fresh.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so look at it another way. By your accounts he was unmotivated and seemed to be going through the motions. He also had no help on D. He had 7.5 sacks, which is a pretty good pass rusher. 7.5 sacks would have led our team.

So would you assume then that he can do better than that if he becomes more motivated in Green Bay and that a return to 11-12 sacks is not out of the question? He'll have help on the other side and we have the depth to keep him fresh.

I really hope your logic turns out!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 of Neal's sacks came in the last 5 games, which at his point of his career suggest an upward trajectory. Peppers' reduced total does suggest his age being a factor. However, I do agree that Peppers production was a result of Offensive scheming and blocking. With Matthews on the field teams will not be able to give him the same sort of attention.

It's almost like the 2011 year when offenses were doubling and tripling Matthews and daring anybody else to beat them. With Peppers and Matthews, offenses won't be able to key on one guy. It'll benefit both players immensely. Plus, if Neal has an upward trajectory, Peppers could play the elephant end with Neal playing outside linebacker on the same side!

D Frank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Peppers is a Reggie White, but he is a beast.. He usually gets two men blocking him.. And if they don't double team him, he will put extreme pressure on that QB.. He's a household name.. Rather have him than Pickett..

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I really hope that this ends up being a smart move. I don't see him finishing out a full 3 years under his contract with us. The way it ended up getting structured was decent. The bears owed him something in the area of 18 mill for this coming season and thats why they let him move on..... I am crossing fingers that he works out. He is not the same guy that I watched for years down here in carolina, he has slowed down a lot. ..... But he has become smarter and wise in his years, I hope the 7.5 sacks was an off year (which he has had 2 other times) because prior to that he hit 11 sacks two years in a row. I really want us to rush him off the right side, he had his best beast mode year ever in carolina when they rushed him off the right side....14.5 sacks, but that was a long time ago.(2008)

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Official #'s on this deal released. 3 yr $26M total. Cap #'s of $3.5 in '14, $12 in '15 and $10.5 in '16. I think he'd have to really play well this year in order to keep him past this season

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Official #'s on this deal released. 3 yr $26M total. Cap #'s of $3.5 in '14, $12 in '15 and $10.5 in '16. I think he'd have to really play well this year in order to keep him past this season
Hopefully he just retires after he gets his ring.

BOB KAMINSKI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi said," Show me a player who plays with a lot of heart & he'll be a great football player". Peppers still plays with a lot of heart. Peppers will do OK!! Now lets give him a nickname. Got any ideas for his nickname?????????? Good job TT & MM. "KEEP BRINGING in THE BIG BOY'S". But watch the cash flow!
Just from a 75 year old Packer Fan who's waiting for the 50th Anniversary of "The Ice Bowl Game" Dec.31 1967 - Dec.31 2017. What a Packer celebration it will be.
Send comments to: [email protected]

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dug this up because was having a convo with Rodell and others in private convo

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I don't have any details either so far. But it's already known that he will earn $8.5 million this year and the contract includes $7.5 million in guaranteed money.

If the report of the cap hit of $3.5 million for 2014 is accurate, the prorated bonus will count $2.5 million in 2015 and 2016 with $21.5 million still outstanding which would have to be paid over two season.

I heard some rumors that Peppers would get another $8.5 million in 2015 which would result in a cap hit of $11 million. No way the Packers would bring him back in that scenario.

Sucks to be wrong like me

But I'm happy to be wrong, he is worth that

D

Deleted member 6794

Sucks to be wrong like me

But I'm happy to be wrong, he is worth that

Yeah, already admitted in another thread that I was completely wrong about Peppers. I´m glad as well that signing him worked out perfectly for the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's a player with incredible athletic ability. A guy that can turn a game at any moment. Creates turnovers and turns them into 7 points. Just like Woodson. It's almost impossible for us to get guys like this in the draft due to our perennial draft position. We've been richly blessed to get guys like this to Green Bay.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a little uncertainty for me; if Peppers retires after this season, will there still be a cap hit based on his guaranteed money?

H

HardRightEdge

I kinda liked the signing, though I thought it might be one-and-done. I considered raising my 10-5-1 prediction to 11-5 on that basis, but could not quite pull the trigger.

Don't overlook the 6 forced fumbles and 11 passes defended.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just a little uncertainty for me; if Peppers retires after this season, will there still be a cap hit based on his guaranteed money?

Yes, the prorated portion of his signing bonus ($2.5 million) would count against the cap in 2016.

H

HardRightEdge

If Peppers retires after 2015, the Packers will have a $2.5 mil dead cap number in 2016 as a hangover from the signing bonus.

If he plays in 2016 under this contract, he'll count $10.5 mil against the cap; his retirement would yield an $8 mil cap savings. He'll be 36 years old at the start of the 2016 season; on the other hand he's a freak of nature, so when the decline occurs is particularly hard to predict.

http://overthecap.com/player/julius-peppers/135/

It's fairly common for even the most highly regarded edge rusher draftees to be limited to situational work as rookies. That's particularly an issue with 3-4 OLBs, as opposed to 4-3 DEs, because the 3-4 guys have to learn to play what's behind them and not just in front of them.

With the point of Peppers decline hard to predict, Perry and Neal becoming free agents after 2015, and the term of Matthews work at ILB uncertain, I'd not be surprised to see an edge rusher taken in the first 3 rounds, perhaps as high as the 1st. round. Please, no more 4-3 DE conversions need apply.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts