Julius Jones released after Lynch signed

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Seattle released Julius Jones to acquire Marshawn Lynch. . .from what I recall Jones was a fairly solid back when he was in Dallas.

Any chance at picking him up off waivers at the very least you think? Or did he get hurt and is washed up now? I don’t recall his recent history since Dallas went in another direction with another RB.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the Packers made no effort to aquire Lynch, when the Bills were basically giving him away. A 4th round pick in 2010, and a conditional pick in 2011. That's it! Thompson is not creative and daring enough ro be a GM in this league!!!!!

OP
OP
BBalzWI

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe the Packers made no effort to aquire Lynch, when the Bills were basically giving him away. A 4th round pick in 2010, and a conditional pick in 2011. That's it! Thompson is not creative and daring enough ro be a GM in this league!!!!!

I agree that it's tough to see Thompson not give that up for a stellar back he wanted back in 2007 but it's no surprise to me. He covets those draft picks like his own children.

Just wondering if Jones would be a 1 year contract style back that could keep the team moving in the right direction until Grant is back next year. If Jones panned out, sign him for another year or so. I know he's 29. He did go to ND, not sure if he has history playing with Grant or not though.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen from Jones the last couple years, it looks like he's washed up. However, I hope the Pack can sign him to a cheap, 1 year deal. Sometimes all a guy needs is a new system, and a change of scenery, in order to start producing again. Plus, I think we could use the veteran leadership, and the depth.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's tough to see Thompson not give that up for a stellar back he wanted back in 2007 but it's no surprise to me. He covets those draft picks like his own children.

Just wondering if Jones would be a 1 year contract style back that could keep the team moving in the right direction until Grant is back next year. If Jones panned out, sign him for another year or so. I know he's 29. He did go to ND, not sure if he has history playing with Grant or not though.
Yep. 2002 Jones was injuried, and Grant was the feature back.
2003 they split carries early on, then Jones took over.

Jones was the better back at ND, no doubts about it. He's still young (29).

He hasn't had a good year since splitting with Barber in 07 (3 years, and Barber was the better back), in fact, he has only one 1000 yard season in his career.

Bu he doesn't have much wear and tear, never had more than 270 carries a season. He's similar to Grant. Maybe it's my ND bias, but this is a guy I'd like us to at least take a look at.

GreenBayTheOnlyWay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julius Jones has never been THAT great and has been going downhill in recent years. The numbers don't look good. I don't think he is worth taking up a roster spot. In this case I think we would be better off developing Starks and Nance... :boredom:

OP
OP
BBalzWI

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. 2002 Jones was injuried, and Grant was the feature back.
2003 they split carries early on, then Jones took over.

Jones was the better back at ND, no doubts about it. He's still young (29).

He hasn't had a good year since splitting with Barber in 07 (3 years, and Barber was the better back), in fact, he has only one 1000 yard season in his career.

Bu he doesn't have much wear and tear, never had more than 270 carries a season. He's similar to Grant. Maybe it's my ND bias, but this is a guy I'd like us to at least take a look at.

That's some nice info to know. Especially since he sounds similar to Grant, he may fit in nice. . .and the not having much wear and tear is always great.

29 isn't old but often when RBs start to fall. Again though Thompson did sign Ahman Green back and he was much older (I think).

It might not be that far off to think about though. It'd be sweet if it happened and he filled in for Grant while he's rehabbing.

pakerzfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that signing Jones would be better than trading for Lynch. We have a premier 1200yd 10td back returning next season. So to give up multiple draft picks for a 12 game rental, seems a bit excessive. That being said, Julius Jones couldn't really hurt. At this point he would likely take a small contract and his risk would be minimal. Do I think it will get done? It is HIGHLY doubtful. But if they did I think that would be a much better plan than trading multiple picks.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if they don't sign Jones, maybe they have to bring back Ahman Green if only until Starks proves he's ready to play. Jackson clearly can't handle being the feature back.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How do you know Thompson didn't make an effort? Do you have proof, or are you just spewing nonsense and over-reacting? The fact is you don't know what was offered or any of the details behind the negotiations between us and Buffalo.

The deal Seattle got isn't necessarily the same deal we'd get. Someone made a good point on Cheesehead TV- Our 4th round pick will likely be a lower pick than Seattle's, so Buffalo probably wanted a 3rd from us to get it done. No idea what kind of conditional pick we'd have to give up.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
How do you know Thompson didn't make an effort? Do you have proof, or are you just spewing nonsense and over-reacting? The fact is you don't know what was offered or any of the details behind the negotiations between us and Buffalo.

The deal Seattle got isn't necessarily the same deal we'd get. Someone made a good point on Cheesehead TV- Our 4th round pick will likely be a lower pick than Seattle's, so Buffalo probably wanted a 3rd from us to get it done. No idea what kind of conditional pick we'd have to give up.

Yep, Buffalo might have wanted a 2nd from us for all we know and they were trying to gouge us. Then when GB revoked the offer, the bills were left with a less attractive trade with Seattle. Who knows we didn't make an offer, you can speculate either way.

What's done is done. Looks like a long season ahead one way or the other with our one dimensional team and Farked secondary (again).

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything I have heard indicates he's washed up. Better off searching for an unheard of steal off someone's roster. Could still be Nance or Starks.

NYC Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im more afraid of our run defense....its been above average but I think it will be similar to last years pass defense. When playing feature running teams we will fold...similar to our pass defense last year except when we played good QBs.

We will have to claw this year....definitely still contenders. Look at the 2007 Giants...sorry for the bad memories but sometimes believing is better than achieving.

OP
OP
BBalzWI

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im more afraid of our run defense....its been above average but I think it will be similar to last years pass defense. When playing feature running teams we will fold...similar to our pass defense last year except when we played good QBs.

We will have to claw this year....definitely still contenders. Look at the 2007 Giants...sorry for the bad memories but sometimes believing is better than achieving.

It's not featured running teams that we fold at. . . It's featured QBs. Pitt didn't have a great running team, they had a solid QB and he picked us apart. Same with Arizona in the playoffs.

We just need to be able to pressure those QBs better than they do us. . .and we have to be 'OK' with that I guess. It sucks but that's sort of what we have to deal with. The fact that QBs can burn us because our secondary blows due to Capers scheme.

Perhaps when Bigby and Harris come back we'll be a bit more solid, at least we can hope. :-P

BTW - :viksux::chisux::detsux::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005:

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, Buffalo might have wanted a 2nd from us for all we know and they were trying to gouge us. Then when GB revoked the offer, the bills were left with a less attractive trade with Seattle. Who knows we didn't make an offer, you can speculate either way.

What's done is done. Looks like a long season ahead one way or the other with our one dimensional team and Farked secondary (again).

It's well documented that Thompson isn't very aggressive when it comes to free agency and trades. He's not one for bidding and counter-offers. It's not just message board banter when any packer reporter worth his weight in cheese will tell you that's not Thompson's ball game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for the Packers to sign Julius Jones so that I can yell "Orange Julius" at the television every time he touches the ball.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't see much of a difference between him and Jackson at this point.

That said, as I've said repeatedly, I want Ted to do anything. Just so I know he knows it's a problem. So, go for it, bring him in.

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it wouldnt be a bad a idea just to sign him up for the rest of the year..... he is a zone running back

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isnt it sad that the guy that we should have been getting gets signed by the Seahawks, and the Seahawks waste that they get rid of is still better than any RB we have? what a joke

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Isnt it sad that the guy that we should have been getting gets signed by the Seahawks, and the Seahawks waste that they get rid of is still better than any RB we have? what a joke

Lets not overreact. Julius Jones was released from two teams. To say he's better than our running backs is speculation. B.Jack if you watch the first half of the Lions game actually made some nice runs. Of course we as fans wanted a big name in here to feel good (like the Vikings and Moss).

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that Jones has ALWAYS been in a min 3 back system in the pros. Its a plus and a negetive for him, as he never gets a chance to find a rhythm, and it keeps him with young legs. I wouldnt mind bringing him in to see what he has. Being in SEA over the last 2 years tells nothing of his ability as they have ZERO talent on that line, and nobody has ran good behind it. We have a solid enough team that with SOME talent(sorry BJAX, I backed you and you did nothing to take it) behind AROD, we would be fine. Kuhn is a nice 3rd down back, but I spent last Sunday praying that he wouldnt fumble on the last drive. We should have more than a FB as a RB. Nance isnt it, Starks aint ready, Grant is hurt, and Jackson will not get it done no matter how much they/ we will it.

Bring in some fresh bodies and see what happens. Jones has proven he can be effective, and he can be had on the cheap, given he passes waivers to us.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets not overreact. Julius Jones was released from two teams. To say he's better than our running backs is speculation. B.Jack if you watch the first half of the Lions game actually made some nice runs. Of course we as fans wanted a big name in here to feel good (like the Vikings and Moss).

Jackson has had a couple of nice runs this season. The 18 yard run against the Eagles was pretty impressive. He didn't see enough carries in the Buffalo or Bears games, but I thought he did ok in the last game. I think part of the problem is the fans were soured on him from the get go, so unless he puts up 100 yards on 10 carries, they're gonna keep pitching a fit about him.

I still think Kuhn should become our feature back, should we choose to commit to the run. The guy's a friggin beast.

OP
OP
BBalzWI

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Kuhn should become our feature back, should we choose to commit to the run. The guy's a friggin beast.

Jerome Bettis was never a great feature back. . .and we all know Mike Alstott wasn't a great feature back either.

We need someone who can take 15-20+ carries (at least) when the snow starts to drop. We need someone who has done it in the past and who can do it this year. We can't rely on someone who 'might' be able to get away with it this year.

If we plan to go far in the coming weeks, then we need someone who is proven. If we dont get them then we need to believe that our management thinks we 'might' slide by this year and in the next few years we'll be on top. Unfortunately as a fan we dont feel this way but it is what it is. . . which sucks from our vantage point.

Hopefully it'll work out for the best. :-/:viksux::chisux::detsux:

Members online

Latest posts