Julio Jones & the Falcons game thread

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried about Montgomery staying healthy getting the majority of the rushing attempts though.

That's what I'm talking about when I say that people don't realize how big Montgomery is. He's 2 inches shorter than James Starks and weighs the same amount! He's built like a running back! Montgomery is not a normal slot receiver playing at RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's what I'm talking about when I say that people don't realize how big Montgomery is. He's 2 inches shorter than James Starks and weighs the same amount! He's built like a running back! Montgomery is not a normal slot receiver playing at RB.

Montgomery has a different style running the ball making him more vulnerable to injuries though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm worried about Montgomery staying healthy getting the majority of the rushing attempts though.

This is the same feeling I have had for years with Cobb as well. I love seeing a non RB line up occasionally in the backfield to keep the defense off balance, but over using that play to me is over exposing a player, who's #1 purpose is at WR, to injury as well as taking the surprise aspect out of the play. Mix it up occasionally, but let the WR's primarily do what they were drafted for, catching the ball and the RB's do what they were drafted for, running the ball.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery has a different style running the ball making him more vulnerable to injuries though.

Where does this concern come from? Starks is a very upright runner, I'm fairly certain that Montgomery isn't nearly as upright a runner as Starks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Where does this concern come from? Starks is a very upright runner, I'm fairly certain that Montgomery isn't nearly as upright a runner as Starks.

I'm fairly certain that the running style of Montgomery is way more upright than of a prototypical running back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the running style of Montgomery is way more upright than of a prototypical running back.

Starks is not a prototypical running back.

Additionally, the idea is to put the offense in the best position possible, not to run an unimaginative offense out of fear of injuring your fourth-string WR. Plus, it's not like I'm saying he needs to carry the ball 25 times a game, just let him run it 7-12 times to keep the defense off-balance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Additionally, the idea is to put the offense in the best position possible, not to run an unimaginative offense out of fear of injuring your fourth-string WR. Plus, it's not like I'm saying he needs to carry the ball 25 times a game, just let him run it 7-12 times to keep the defense off-balance.

I'm absolutely fine with using Montgomery out of the backfield but I would prefer him to get most of his touches on receptions though.

Reaction score
Starks is not a prototypical running back.

That's reasonable. I think part of a winning strategy is doing what's successful and balancing that with risk factors such as the RB depth(we have none), injury history, the players conditioning, etc..
IMO, We need to utilize Monty sparingly as a RB this week and balance his run/pass attack (which showed success previously) as time evolves. Then we can open and close that faucet gradually the next few weeks until Davis has a better grasp and Starks gets back to practice.
I'd like to ad. I'm anxious to see them get Geronimo geared up. He's obviously special to replace Abby on the 53

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time I had a gut feeling that we would get spanked by the Cowboys, it happened. Call me crazy, but my gut is telling me the Packers are actually going to win this. Julio is playing like a man possessed yes, but the rest of the Falcons team is not to be feared and I think GB can pull off the upset.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julio Jones is going to put up numbers. I don't think you can just completely stop him. The key is keeping him from getting as many yards as possible. Obviously, the Falcons are very beatable based on their record and things I have seen so far this season. I think they key is to not make any mistakes and turn the ball over. If the short passes are what they are giving us, then take the 5 or 6 yard passes. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as our defense goes, pressuring Ryan and making him uncomfortable is going to be a big factor. He is going to target Julio plenty I am sure and he is going to make catches and put up yards, but again, the main factor will be the classic "bend but don't break." As we saw when Julio put up ridiculous numbers last time we played and we still won....it is going to take more than just Julio to win the game.

Reaction score
Last time I had a gut feeling that we would get spanked by the Cowboys, it happened. Call me crazy, but my gut is telling me the Packers are actually going to win this. Julio is playing like a man possessed yes, but the rest of the Falcons team is not to be feared and I think GB can pull off the upset.
It's interesting, but sometimes when we are the underdogs we play better. I think it may partly have to do with mentally "upping" our game. One thing we do bring to the table is a formidable pass rush. Although we didn't play our best game against one of the best Offensive lines in Dallas, we had moments where we bullied even their QB pocket.
Dallas beat us fair and square. That being said, had neither team had a turnover I believe we wouldve been in the game until the last drive.
We have to clean up our act. Turnovers are a dynamic key that will make or break a team and change momentum. We have to concentrate on ball security on Offense. On D? punching, stripping and attacking the ball. There needs to be a free week off of practice for the first player who can get a takeaway and provide a short field for Aaron. A big reason we are losing is we are careless with the ball on offense and not being Effective or proactive on Defense.
I'm gonna predict that whoever wins the takeaway battle wins the game on Sunday (tiebreaker goes to Atlanta)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tevin Coleman has officially been declared out for Sundays game, so that is a good thing. :tup:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's reasonable. I think part of a winning strategy is doing what's successful and balancing that with risk factors such as the RB depth(we have none), injury history, the players conditioning, etc..
IMO, We need to utilize Monty sparingly as a RB this week and balance his run/pass attack (which showed success previously) as time evolves. Then we can open and close that faucet gradually the next few weeks until Davis has a better grasp and Starks gets back to practice.
I'd like to ad. I'm anxious to see them get Geronimo geared up. He's obviously special to replace Abby on the 53

When I say that Monty should get 7-12 runs, that doesn't mean I only want him to line up at RB 7-12 times; I'd love if the Packers put him in the backfield 15-25 times. He doesn't HAVE to rush each time but each time he lines up in the backfield it does two things:

1) It forces the defense to either leave a safety/linebacker on him in coverage or put a DB in the game instead; either defense presents the Packers with an advantage in the passing game or the running game

2) When he motions from the backfield to go out wide, it forces the defense to show its hand to Rodgers about what kind of coverage they're playing

Now that I think of it, it also makes it more likely that Rodgers will check down since he seems to like throwing to Monty; so maybe having Monty at RB catching short passes makes it more likely that Rodgers doesn't force too much downfield.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whelp. Cobb, Monty, Lang, etc. ruled Questionable. Rollins ruled out. Just take me out back and put me down.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeeessss! Barclays time to shine!! Hope he goes far in this game. Really far, like far far away. Missing the plane wouldn't be far enough. Maybe a slow steamer to Vladivostok or Reunion Island.
Larry Mcarren could come out of the radio booth.... He's old... and played Center, but I'm betting he's still better than Barclay. :whistling:

Sui_Generis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Packer fans!

Hoping for an entertaining and injury free game this tomorrow. Should be a good one. Hoping that the rookies and 2nd year guys on defense can slow down Mr. Double Check himself, Corn on the Cobb, and Jordy Full Nelson. I am also intrigued at seeing the Pack rush defense against a retooled offensive line and Freeman. Not sure how the Pack plan on playing Julio seeing as the DB group seems banged up in Green Bay.

Just looking for some general football discussion.

Good luck.

Falcon Fan Sui_Generis

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure how the Pack plan on playing Julio seeing as the DB group seems banged up in Green Bay.

LaDarius Gunter will most likely cover Julio for most of the game, hopefully with Clinton-Dix providing safety help over the top. It will be important for the Packers to put pressure on Ryan in order to be able to contain Jones though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how the Pack plan on playing Julio seeing as the DB group seems banged up in Green Bay.
If Hilde can keep him covered all night
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

then Heidi has a chance to cover him all day
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Adam Schefter the Packers don't expect Randall Cobb to play today at Atlanta.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The # of hamstrings and groins that have been strained or torn this year is not acceptable. Lovat's program is missing something. He has had a ridiculous amount of hamstring injuries under his watch over the years. I believe last year was the one year where he didn't.

Latest posts