Jsonline tid bits Great stat on Defense

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers' defense limits points production - JSOnline

By Gary D’Amato of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay — Members of the Green Bay Packers' defense got some good news when they returned to work Monday following their bye week:

Ten weeks into the season, Green Bay has the top-ranked scoring defense in the NFL. The Packers have allowed 143 points (15.9 per game) and lead the Chicago Bears, who have allowed 146 (16.2).

"Last year we had the No. 1 rush defense, but we believe the most important stat is the scoring defense and we're No. 1 right now," said nose tackle B.J. Raji. "Hopefully, we can finish No. 1 when the season is done."

The Packers rank 13th in total defense (326.0 yards per game). They are tied with the St. Louis Rams for the NFL lead in sacks with 28 and are tied with four other teams for the league lead in interceptions with 14.

"For the most part, I think we're doing all right," said linebacker A.J. Hawk. "Our record could be better, but as a defense I think we're getting there and I guess the numbers are starting to show we're going in the right direction."
Raji said the defense would continue to focus on stopping the run.

"Our philosophy, which has been working well for us so far, we want to stop the run initially so we can get teams in a more predictable state," he said. "Then we can come with the blitzing we love to do."

He's back: Tight end Spencer Havner, cut by the Packers before the start of the regular season, admitted he thought he'd never be back in Green Bay.

But there Havner was Monday, standing in the Packers' locker room in his old No. 41 jersey. The team re-signed him last week after he was waived by Detroit with a hamstring injury.
"I think (the Packers) just wanted to give me some time to heal the hammy," he said. "They wanted to make sure I was ready to play when I came back because we have a lot of injuries here and they didn't want to pick up another injured guy, basically."

Havner said he had no problems with his hamstring in practice Monday and thought he could contribute immediately. He played some linebacker for the Lions but was brought back to Green Bay as a tight end.

"I think I can help out a lot," he said.

Surgery for Tauscher: Coach Mike McCarthy said tackle Mark Tauscher would undergo shoulder surgery on Tuesday. The 11-year veteran was placed on injured reserve last week and likely has played his last snap in Green Bay.

He tried to battle through the injury, but McCarthy said the determination was made that Tauscher, 33, could not play, even with a harness.

"We have asked him to stay a part of it in the meetings and travel with the team and so forth," he said. "That is not always the case with individuals that are on IR or PUP. But Mark Tauscher is still a big part of our football team."

Injury update: Tight end Andrew Quarless (shoulder), who was inactive against Dallas, wore pads Monday but didn't participate in individual drills requiring contact.

"The bye week did a lot for me," he said. "Just resting, staying away from that contact. I gained strength from that actually. It feels real good."

Defensive end Ryan Pickett also participated on a limited basis. Pickett suffered a sprained ankle Oct. 24 and aggravated the injury in the Cowboys game. He spent most of the bye week getting treatment in Green Bay and said he probably would try to test the ankle in practice later this week.

Linebacker Clay Matthews, who has been bothered by a shin injury, attended practice but did not participate. Cornerback Pat Lee wore pads and practiced. It was his first appearance since he suffered an ankle injury against the Jets.

Rookie running back James Starks wore pads and practiced for the first time as a Packer. He has been out since pulling a hamstring in a late July conditioning run.

Receiver Donald Driver was excused from practice for personal reasons. McCarthy said he would have an update on the receiver's thigh injury Wednesday.

Short yardage: McCarthy said he has spoken with cornerback Al Harris, who was released last week and signed with the Miami Dolphins. "I don't want to get into all of the personal part of it, but Al is doing fine and I know they are excited about having him in Miami," he said.

Linebacker Robert Francois was re-signed to fill an opening on the practice squad.
Allowing Tauch to stay on?? Calling Harris?

WOW Ted and Mike sure do hate those guys cuz they played with Brett

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Great article. And you KNOW I gotta give show some love for the call to Harris. Probably was more about smoothing over any animosity early than a normal check up call, but either way was great initiative.

1.)Glad to see Starks back
2.) feel REALLY bad for Driver
3.) Damn sure glad Havner is back
4.) hope to see quarless healthy soon knowing our luck with TE's this season...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts