JSOnline: Packers trying to trade Marquand Manuel

Reaction score
Green Bay - In an attempt to salvage something of their free agent swing and miss on veteran Marquand Manuel, the Green Bay Packers have been offering the safety in a trade.
Advertisement

Buy a link here

Two National Football League team officials said the Packers had made it known that Manuel is one of the players they are willing to trade before the deadline for trimming rosters to 53 comes later today. A third source familiar with the player and the team said there were strong indications the Packers were talking with other teams about Manuel.

If the Packers do strike a trade, it's unlikely it will be for anything more than a low-round pick, and it very well could be on the condition that Manuel spend a minimum number of weeks on the roster. If the Packers don't reach a deal, there's no reason to think they'll keep Manuel on their 53-man roster, given his fall from starter last year to backup this year.

Manuel, 28, lost his starting job to former "street" free agent Atari Bigby midway through camp and didn't even play Thursday night in the exhibition finale against the Tennessee Titans. Instead of playing Manuel as a backup, the Packers took a long look at second-year pros Tyrone Culver and Charlie Peprah, who are competing for the fourth safety job behind Nick Collins, Bigby and rookie Aaron Rouse.

A number of teams have safety issues around the NFL, but it's questionable whether any of them will give up a pick to assure themselves of obtaining Manuel. If the Packers release Manuel, he will become a free agent, eligible to negotiate with any team of his choosing.

Any team that trades for Manuel will absorb his $1.26 million base salary this year and base salaries of $1.56 million in 2008, $1.86 million in '09 and $2.16 million in '10. It would be obligated to pay the '07 base salary only if Manuel was on the roster the first day of the regular season.

Among the teams that might have interest in a safety are Houston, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Carolina and Miami. The Seattle Seahawks, who attempted to re-sign Manuel before he left for a five-year, $10 million deal in Green Bay, have since upgraded their safety position and probably aren't interested anymore.

Should the Packers go with Collins, Bigby, Rouse and either Peprah or Culver, they're going to have a grand total of five years of experience at the position. Manuel is in his sixth year in the NFL.

General manager Ted Thompson signed Manuel before last season in hopes of filling a safety position that had fallen apart since the release of Darren Sharper in 2005. Manuel had directed the secondary for the NFC champion Seahawks and was brought in to quarterback a diverse unit featuring two veteran cornerbacks and a promising young safety.

However, he missed most of training camp with a calf injury, rubbed cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson the wrong way, proved incapable of handling the many man-to-man coverage assignments safeties must carry out in the Packers' defense and missed far too many tackles.

In training camp, Bigby proved far more athletic and equally sound in his assignments, earning the starting job after the second exhibition game. Bigby is far from a finished product, but the Packers are convinced they will be a better defense with his speed and tackling ability in the lineup.

He couldn't even play well enough to secure a spot as a back-up. What bothers me is the part that is underlined. :-?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can't even make the Packers, why would anybody want him?

He might be of more use to a team running a scheme different than the Packers do. Who knows? Maybe there's a situation out there that Marquand Manuel will downright thrive in. Sure as hell ain't this one.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins did ok with not much experience

lets not give up talent for experience. we did that with roman and manuel.

lets get some talented folks out there, no matter the age.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take a 7th rounder for him, but I'm not banking on anyone wanting him.

We'll probably just end up cutting him and eating his signing bonus on next year's salary cap like we did with Fergy.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody will want to keep Manuel's contract, so he will have to be cut. It's not a huge contract, but it's more than he's worth. At least he's done in Green Bay now, by the looks of it.

At the tail end of that article, there was one bit that I thought was interesting:

Strange feeling: Bigby went to the same high school as Manuel (Miami Senior High) and the two are friends, so it has not been a normal battle for a starting spot between the two.

"Sometimes it feels like a business, but when it comes down to it at night, before I go to bed, it is weird," said Bigby, 25. "I'm against somebody that's so close to me. We came from the same background. Our struggles are somewhat the same."

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is going to want him. He's not an NFL player. He has proven that already, over and over again. I'm just glad I won't have to watch him give up big play after big play anymore.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Should the Packers go with Collins, Bigby, Rouse and either Peprah or Culver, they're going to have a grand total of five years of experience at the position. Manuel is in his sixth year in the NFL.

He couldn't even play well enough to secure a spot as a back-up. What bothers me is the part that is underlined. :-?

Isn't LeRoy Butler still there in some capacity? With him around I think that's experience enough to coach those guys.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Whats more important or valuable?
[align=center]?[/align]
[align=center]Talent at the expense of Experience
or
Experience at the expense of Talent[/align]
[align=center]?[/align]

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see us trading for a player that another team was going to cut anyways, ala the Mike Boulware - Jason Babin trade. This way. the front office saves a little face.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
[align=center]?[/align]
or
[align=center]?[/align]

Definitely the former.

But the thing is zero, the last 4 games or so of the previous season, Manuel was starting for a D that played solid. He showed he could limit his mistakes, and then he has the experience which others are clearly lacking.

Manuel hasn't stood out for anything really terrible this pre-season, and I thought those three things (playing not-so-bad this preseason, playing not-so-bad latter part of last year, and having the most experience) would have gotten him a roster spot as a back-up, at least.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
(playing not-so-bad this preseason, playing not-so-bad latter part of last year, and having the most experience) would have gotten him a roster spot as a back-up, at least.

Hopefully the Packers are setting a higher standard than 'not-so-bad' and simply choosing someone because of experience.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ted Haters said:
TT, WHY would anyone trade for a guy who is about to be cut

The haters always say things like this when Ted is trying to get something for nothing, but when someone gets cut the first thing they say is "why not try to trade him first".
:pop:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=center]?[/align]
or
[align=center]?[/align]

Definitely the former.

But the thing is zero, the last 4 games or so of the previous season, Manuel was starting for a D that played solid. He showed he could limit his mistakes, and then he has the experience which others are clearly lacking.

Manuel hasn't stood out for anything really terrible this pre-season, and I thought those three things (playing not-so-bad this preseason, playing not-so-bad latter part of last year, and having the most experience) would have gotten him a roster spot as a back-up, at least.

Didn't Dendy and Manuel give up a long TD against the Bears on New Years Eve?

He's not a good player. Below average. I'll take talent over experience because eventually the "talent" will have both. Where as Manuel will not. He's an ok backup in my opinion.

Your right he hasn't had a bad camp but neither has Peprah whom had a pass deflection against Tennessee and a nice INT against Seattle. Culver has looked ok as well. Manuel has done nothing to prove he is a better player than either one of those two and both of them have much better upside and we already know Manuel is prone to mistakes.

In the Family Night Scrimmage, he committed a pass interference.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Like the Texans and Seahawks just did?

Yeah, please be quiet. Grownups are talking.

So grown up spelling champ, you are saying that Manuel will be traded?
I say Manuel is cut At 5 p.m. this afternoon and not traded.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
dhpackr said:

Like the Texans and Seahawks just did?

Yeah, please be quiet. Grownups are talking.

So grown up spelling champ, you are saying that Manuel will be traded?
I say Manuel is cut At 5 p.m. this afternoon and not traded.

I'm not saying anything. I'll say he's trying to trade him...not that it matters to you because...

Ted Haters said:

The haters always say things like this when Ted is trying to get something for nothing, but when someone gets cut the first thing they say is "why not try to trade him first".
:pop:

Members online

Latest posts