JPP Says "“They can’t run the ball on us“ and we will win

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh. Is he supposed to be scared?

I wouldn't go out guaranteeing things, we all know how that usually ends, but I see no problem, and I doubt that THIS will be the deciding factor whether we win or lose.

One thing I'll tell you, though. I doubt Antrell Rolle shares the same feelings. This from the 2009 season: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/11/rolle-wants-no-part-of-aaron-rodgers-again/

“Let me tell you something – that dude is scary,” Rolle said of Rodgers, per Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “We have a great defense, and we were up on him and ready to pounce, and he found ways to tear us apart.
“I don’t ever want to face him again in my life. I am dead serious.
I’ll face Drew Brees any day of the week before I face him again.”

Rodgers has played against Rolle 3 times. The least he has put up was 38 points.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys sure are cocky. I guess I would be too if my team went 15-1. We get the Ballard call correct and we beat you. You guys lost to the Chiefs of all teams...I like our chances Sunday. You guys are clearly the better team so you should win right?
Cocky?

Nah, man, we like to keep that higher ground.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
How could I possibly disagree with such a water-tight argument...
Well you shouldn't. Matter of fact you should never disagree with me. With my knowledge of football and the wisdom I have gained over the years, you should just defer to my every arguement. That way you will never be disillusioned about your team.

Remember, I know everything, I just have a slight problem with recall. :)

All in jest my fellow football fan, all in jest.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you say "my team", you're talking about the Super Bowl champions, right? The team that went 15-1 this season, posting a 6-0 record vs playoff teams? The team whose QB set a single-season record for QB rating? Who threw 45 TD and 6 INT in 15 games? The team who is now healthier than they've been in months?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
When you say "my team", you're talking about the Super Bowl champions, right? The team that went 15-1 this season, posting a 6-0 record vs playoff teams?
New season started this weekend. What happened during the regular season usually has little to do with what happens during the playoff season. Remember last year? The Packers were 2-3 against playoff teams during the regular season. Didn't matter much during the playoffs.

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares if we have less than 50 rushing yards when we will have a W and be moving onto the next game. Maybe JPP doesn't know this but we are a passing team, and I GUARANTEE we will pass it all over the giants. That's the last of my talking, I let the defending super bowl champions do my talking for me on the field.
They're talking for you? Nice to have that kind of relationship with the team. was personally kind of thinking they do it for themselves and the pride

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you shouldn't. Matter of fact you should never disagree with me. With my knowledge of football and the wisdom I have gained over the years, you should just defer to my every arguement. That way you will never be disillusioned about your team.

Remember, I know everything, I just have a slight problem with recall. :)

All in jest my fellow football fan, all in jest.
Spoken like a true Vikings fan ;)

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can the packers line up in two TE sets and pound the ball down the giants throats? Probably not.... But what people sometimes fail to recognize is how good the packers are at the screen game when the employ it, or how many times have we seen rodgers pop up from under center and rocket a pass to Nelson or Jennings.... one broken tackle and BOOM off to the races, or a quick out to a TE all of these things compensate for a less than stellar running attack, and all of them are very adequate ways of neutralizing a lethal pass rush like the giants have.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys sure are cocky. I guess I would be too if my team went 15-1. We get the Ballard call correct and we beat you. You guys lost to the Chiefs of all teams...I like our chances Sunday. You guys are clearly the better team so you should win right?

Obviously, and it's 22-1, a record that started with a dismantling of the Giants last season.

GiantFan inNH

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the pack doesn't win it will be what's called an upset.. upsets do happen...that's the beauty of being a big underdog. expectations are low. but sooo much nicer when it does happen.. Looking back, 2007 was a much more enjoyable playoff ride than 86 and 91 for the giants, for me anyway. Those teams were expected to do well. Going in as the number 6 seed and this time as a 4...priceless

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said we can't run?

We don't run as much as other teams do because our passing game is to good but we are capable of running the ball as good as any other team. We've got Grant which is a 1000 yards runner (not this season) and Starks which is a power runner that could run threw any defensman his asked too. Let's not forget, Grant's 1000 yards seasons came with Favre ... when we weren't throwing the ball as much because the coaching staff wanted to keep his arm fresh.

I think Giants are in for a surprise this weekend. Them beating Atlanta deosn't scare me one bit, whoever faced the Falcons this year we're going to beat them. Ryan is a choker.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're all reacting a bit too much to JPP and Tuck talking it up by going a bit too far about how we're going to whomp the Giants. Trying to be realistic, Giants are--or they can be a very good team, and if they come ready to play they will be tough to beat. A great pass rush, not so great in the secondary especially with their starting CB possibly out, a revived running game that can pound it out, a great receiving corps that's healthy again and a great QB. Eli is the kind of QB who does make mistakes but he can also win the game for you with some clutch throws. The guy has been there and he can play under pressure.

So don't go underestimating the Giants. They are good. Yes I believe that the Packers are better. I believe that Rodgers can handle the pressure from the Giants' front 4 better than any QB in the league, and I think we'll score 30+ on them. How much will they score on us? Hard to say and that's why I'm looking forward to a good game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget, Grant's 1000 yards seasons came with Favre ... when we weren't throwing the ball as much because the coaching staff wanted to keep his arm fresh.

Unfortunately this is almost a completely inaccurate statement. Grant's only season with Favre was in 2007 when he almost got 1000 yards. That's the only part that you kind of got right. Grant's only two 1,000 yard rushing seasons came with Aaron Rodgers.

During that 2007 season, the Packers almost exclusively threw the ball. Favre threw for over 4000 yards and the Pack didn't have a running game until they traded for Grant out of desperation to find a running game. They weren't saving Favre's arm.

D

Dan115

Grant missed winning the super bowl with the G men and was injured when THE Packers won the Bowl.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is almost a completely inaccurate statement. Grant's only season with Favre was in 2007 when he almost got 1000 yards. That's the only part that you kind of got right. Grant's only two 1,000 yard rushing seasons came with Aaron Rodgers.

During that 2007 season, the Packers almost exclusively threw the ball. Favre threw for over 4000 yards and the Pack didn't have a running game until they traded for Grant out of desperation to find a running game. They weren't saving Favre's arm.

Yes you are correct I mis-remembered the years ...

Do you agree tho that we do have a running game but it's shadowed by our passing game?

Giantz4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys know the Giants finished 32 in the NFL in rushing, right?

The little known fact is Green Bay CAN run the ball. We choose not to.

If we held Michael Turner, 3rd in rushing yards, to 41 yards on 15 carries, I'm not too worried about James Starks or Ryan Grant.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We didn't at first due to the constant shifting of O Line personnel...except now we do. We rushed for 172 against Atlanta's top 5 rush defense.
You know the Packers didn't repeat the starting OL, right? Clifton played till week 3, then he went down. Newhouse played RT and then moved to LT. Lang, our LG, had to play RT against the Chiefs because we didn't have 3 OTs. Josh Sitton missed time. Bryan Bulaga missed time. Evan Dietrich-Smith played RG in Sitton's absence, and LG when Lang moved to RT. Sherrod played some LT and some RT before going to IR. The only starter that played all games was Scott Wells.

So don't give me the shuffling of the OL excuse, because I'm going to do the same. Except for Sherrod, they're all healthy and available for Sunday. And shame on you for not getting the Right Back reference.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Giants are hot and the Packers are healthy. The Giants have their DL intact (I believe) and the Packers get Sitton back - he didn't play last time they played. That's important for the OL as he's probably their best run blocker and perhaps best all around OL (for example, he basically shut out Suh in week 17). Running the ball will be more effective with Sitton and Bulaga on the right side of the OL. But thinking teams have to run the ball a lot or run for a lot of yards to win just isn't true anymore. The last time these two teams met in New York, in addition to dropping a bunch of passes the Packers ran the ball 28 times for 89 yards, a relatively anemic 3.2 ypc. The Packers have to run just enough to keep NY's pass rush honest. Should be a heck of a game.

Reaction score
GiantsFans/ESPN: "2007! 2007! 2007!... it's 2007!'

cause the nfc east was appearantly mediocore in 2007; there wasn't a 13-3 team, a 10-6 team, or a 9-7 team or the bottom feeder kicking it at 8-8.... nope, the nfc east winner was a soft team that couldn't beat the rex grossman led redskins at all, rest of the division sucked.... it's 2007, deja vu! :eek:

Members online

Latest posts