Jordy Nelson

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Why is it that this guy never gets on the field on offense, unless its for clean-up duty? Why is james jones ahead of him, I just dont understand this, maybe i'm blind, but it seems like everytime A-Rod throws at Jordy he catches it, and makes good effort after the catch, as well, jordy has great size speed and hands, and he even has good after the catch instincts to make BIG PLAYS. Yet james jones get's on the field atleast twice as much, and he has trouble with fumbles and Catching the football at times. Last year jordy was demoted to something he is not even good at, returning kicks, and did not make a very good impression on Packer fans. But I dont know too many 6'3' converted safeties that ARE good at returning kicks. I'd like to see more jordy nelson out there, especially on the goalline, Could you imagine trying to have to stop Nelson and Finley on the goal line? not gonna happen with the secondaries in our division...A-rod just has to throw the ball up in the air and voila, Touchdown! I just don't see the advantages of jones over nelson, please inform me.

sorry about the video quality

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7NRn9oOY8&feature=related"]YouTube- Packers-49ers Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson touchdown[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIJ5GBUq5Y4"]YouTube- Packers vs bears 10/7/07 James Jones catch and fumble.... ****[/ame]

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I dont think your gonna get much argument from anyone on the board, we all think highly of Jordy. I for one dont know why he's not our #3

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good topic, but I go back and forth between Jordyzzz and James as to who I think is better. They're so different.
Jones is the better route-runner with better hands (catching ability).
The taller one Jordy is actually faster. I think they're a nice combo.

I also think, believe it or not, that if we lost Driver, God Fordbid, for an extended period of time, we'd see both JJ and JN rise to the occasion as we saw Early Doucet against us in that wildcard shootout.

Who do you guys expect to get more catches THIS SEASON?
Nelson or Jones?

OP
OP
TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't tryin to Hate on JJ, I like JJ but I dont think he has the potential that Big ****** has. I saw jordy last year on the field at OTA's and he's huge for a WR, atleast for a packer WR it seems. Not to mention if he keeps breaking off these 60 yard plays were gonna have to call him white lightning. as for your question rizzo:

James jones, gets more catches
Jordy Nelson, ends up with more yards and more TD's though.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I don't really know how to reply other than, I agree. I don't really think there's much of a debate to be had here.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly Im a James Jones man, he came from humble beginnings, and had to play for SJSU, near where I am from. They would usually play in front of 2 thousand people, AT MOST.

But in all honesty they are both good players, and I think could easily be someone's #2 on any other team. Once DD ends his great career they will battle for his spot, and may the best man win.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only is Nelson gifted at catching but he's also a reckless blocker. Anyone remember the play where Jennings ran that long TD into the endzone against the 49ers? I remember Nelson putting the MEANEST block on this one safety. At times I was calling for Nelson to line up as a tight end, the guy would be a terrific run blocker.

OP
OP
TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Not only is Nelson gifted at catching but he's also a reckless blocker. Anyone remember the play where Jennings ran that long TD into the endzone against the 49ers? I remember Nelson putting the MEANEST block on this one safety. At times I was calling for Nelson to line up as a tight end, the guy would be a terrific run blocker.

that's what I mean, he just makes football plays, he's a football player, when he was drafted, I told my friend he will be our #1 WR at some point. I'm a GJ85 man, and I love GJ85, I think he is our best WR, but I think he is best suited to the #2 WR slot, greg needs someone lining up on the other side of the field so he get's 1on1 matchups. Going against smaller CB's and not being asked to make SO many catches. GJ85 is a clutch, big play, fundamental type WR that DB's just can't cover all of the time. But Jordy is almost a prototypical #1 wr, He's big fast, and can protect your quaterback on bad throws, not to mention his blocking attitude. I'd like to see Jordy getting 8-9 balls thrown at him a game, almost as much as GJ85 or finley. He's the type of guy that other teams would have to gameplan for, your average #1 CB cannot cover Jordy Nelson. And while, I own a Donald Driver jersey, and I think DD is the best GB PACKER WR OF ALL TIME, he can't keep this up forever, every time i see DD make a catch, he just gives so much effort and so much heart, how can you not love DD, but you know sooner than later he will be done, especially with the hardcore way in which he plays. Honestly I'd take Jordy Nelson, RIGHT NOW, over crabtree or Dez bryant. He has experience, and physical ability, I can't find any faults, doenst look like he gives up on plays EVER, so I dont see why MM doesn't call more plays for him.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think if you go back and watch 07 it really shows why James Jones is ahead of Jordy right now. I think Jones has better play making ability than Nelson does. Jones has a lot more speed and can probably jump higher, too. Sure Jones has had some fumbling issues in the past but he has also played very well. Nelson has a good set of hands and has excellent size which really makes me think hes a mold of Donald Driver in a sense and thats what TT saw.

What Jones also has over Nelson is that Jones is better in the slot. If you notice the coaches usually set Nelson up outside when Driver or Jennings are either moved slot or are resting. I don't think Nelson is that great of a slot receiver as of right now but maybe someday in the future.

Thats all just my opinion and assessment though.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think if you go back and watch 07 it really shows why James Jones is ahead of Jordy right now. I think Jones has better play making ability than Nelson does. Jones has a lot more speed and can probably jump higher, too. Sure Jones has had some fumbling issues in the past but he has also played very well. Nelson has a good set of hands and has excellent size which really makes me think hes a mold of Donald Driver in a sense and thats what TT saw.

What Jones also has over Nelson is that Jones is better in the slot. If you notice the coaches usually set Nelson up outside when Driver or Jennings are either moved slot or are resting. I don't think Nelson is that great of a slot receiver as of right now but maybe someday in the future.

Thats all just my opinion and assessment though.

Actually I'm with you there on everything about why the coaches prefer Jones over Nelson. Jones shows some great athletic ability when going up and making the catch. Also what I notice about Jones is his route-running ability. The guy can read defenses and makes the crisp turns through the zones allowing him to get open.

This is not a knock at Nelson's ability either as he has his own unique skillset. Skip to 2:59 of the following video and you'll see one of my favorite plays from Jordy. Although he's not making a catch or anything, he delivers one of the meanest blocks I've seen all season:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k67Dfk8G23U"]YouTube - Greg Jennings Highlights 2009[/ame]

I wonder how this conversation went down,
Jennings (running): Jordy... Jordy.. to the right man! To the right! Block that ****!
Nelson: Yes SIR!

BAAAMMMM!!!!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, crushing block on that 49er by Jordy.
Damn, that video showed and reminded me that the score at one point in game 2 vs Minny, in Lambeau, we were down 24-3.

But we scored with 10 minutes to go to make it 31-27 and I thought we were going to win.

JJ and Nelson are both good, and I think they could be a decent STARTING duo actually.

We're in good hands at WR barring a couple of injuries.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was looking at photos taken at the OTAs from last week at the GB Press-Gazette website there was a shot of Nelson and Jones standing next to one another. Jordy looked noticeably bigger than Jones and that surprised me some.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also feel Jordy is better than Jones but not by leaps and bounds. I think the reason he doesn't get as much action as he should is because of the other targets. When you have Jennings, Driver, and Finley all going downfield with Jordy/Jones, chances are one of those 3 will get free and open. I'm pretty sure that Driver and Jennings are the reads ahead of Jordy at least.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care what jordy does as long as he stays far away from returning. terrible. just terrible.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was looking at photos taken at the OTAs from last week at the GB Press-Gazette there was a shot of Nelson and Jones standing next to one another. Jordy looked noticeably bigger than Jones and that surprised me some.
Yeah I wished the NFL, and NBA tonight, would show more camera angles from ground level to show the height differences.

I remember getting down on the Metrodome field before a Packer Viking game back in the day, and watching the players warm up... it was shocking how fricking tall Randy Moss was. He was clearly the heighth of a shooting guard in the NBA and he was about a half foot taller than most CBs. We all knew he could run by everyone, but he also had the great leaps, basketball skills, and the heighth.

Jordy is taller and is faster than Jones.
But Jones is quicker.
I think Jones runs better routes, more consistent, and has better hands. Except for the back to back fumbles in the Chicago game in 2007.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
terrible. just terrible.

I can hear Charles Barkley now.

But seriously Nelson just doesnt have the speed to return kicks. I really havent been impressed with Blackmon as a kick returner either. I feel he is a great punt returner but kicks are not for him. Nelson is also pretty good with his punt return game but hes just to slow to return the kicks.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But seriously Nelson just doesnt have the speed to return kicks. I really havent been impressed with Blackmon as a kick returner either. I feel he is a great punt returner but kicks are not for him. Nelson is also pretty good with his punt return game but hes just to slow to return the kicks.

Again this just proves that not all collegiate skills translate into the NFL. Jordy actually was a great returner back at Kansas State. However his return skills aren't capable of handling faster, more athletic competition.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again this just proves that not all collegiate skills translate into the NFL. Jordy actually was a great returner back at Kansas State. However his return skills aren't capable of handling faster, more athletic competition.
If you take into account pure return avg, Jordy was pretty good. 25.4 yards is not too shabby. Better than Ted Ginn (24.9)...

The problem is, he had only 2 returns for more than 40 years. He just seemed to run past the 25 yard line, and then fall on the ground.

We didn't start many drives behind the 20 yard line... But we didn't start many ahead of it, either.

So yeah, I agree. He shouldn't be returning punts. But he wasn't a "problem" per se as a return man (in kicks, in punts he was terrible. 5.6). But he doesn't add nothing, either.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing I like about Nelson and his return game is he just goes forward instead of doing that dancing crap most return men do.

Members online

Latest posts