Jones Griping About Getting Snaps

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaz...ield-more-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

All I can say is if James Jones thinks he's in any position to gripe about how many reps he's getting, he's grossly mistaken. He's actually whining because he he says Nelson is clearly the #3 guy now (DUH!). He'd better get used to it because it's just a matter of time before Cobb supplants him as the #4 guy this season.

If he's going to play this game, I think Ted should trade or waive his *** and call up Gurly or West. I don't think Jones understands that he has no leverage to be making such statements and the team doesn't need that kind of crap.

ParLawGod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of your thread (and the article itself) may be a little misleading (just my opinion though). After reading his exact words, I thought it sounded like more "disappointment" than griping. Jones has always been a team first type of player, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt if his words seem a little suspicious. If we start hearing more of this then I'll start getting concerned then. Just my opinion. I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't start showing his selfish side when his role is diminished (we all know a lot of players do).
I don’t care about the ball at all, but I truly, truly want to be in the game plan,” Jones said in his first comments to reporters since the game. “Everybody plays this game because they want to play. I’m not selfish. I understand we’ve got a lot of weapons, so I’m not saying I want the ball every play. But I think I deserve to be on the field more than I was.

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel for JJ on this one. I believe he played about 20 snaps last week. That's gotta be disappointing for him considering he'd be a starter on half of the other teams in the league. I think he realizes now that he made a mistake by re-signing with Green Bay. He's at the point in his career that he wants a larger workload and wants to fully test himself with starters snaps, and I can respect that. I don't think there's any whining here at all.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The opponent's defense often dictates who is targeted. Also, maybe he just wasn't open. All the skill players on offense want the ball. There's only one.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He kind of reminds me of Clifford Franklin in "The Replacements". He can get open but he needs a lot of "stick um" to hang on to the dang ball.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would sit on this for a few more weeks and see if any trade options are out there if he isn't going to serve a purpose on this offense.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt get too much of a whine out of his comments. He knows whats going on in GB right now better than any of us. I also think going and blabbing his frustration with a reporter is the wrong avenue for expressing his dissatisfaction. The front office brought him back for a reason and i cant believe that it was to play 20% of the snaps with at least a chunk of them being run formations. He will get his and it will be here in GB. There was no FA market for him where all a team would have to give up is his contract, unless something drastic happens he will be a packer at least for this year.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a proper way to publically express your feelings, JJ's did it the right way.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's going to play this game, I think Ted should trade or waive his *** and call up Gurly or West. I don't think Jones understands that he has no leverage to be making such statements and the team doesn't need that kind of crap.

Some team is going to trade for a player they could have signed this summer and not coughed up a draft pick?

Or Ted is going to just take the salary cap hit and cut him for a player that isnt as good?

Have you ever been General Manager for the lions?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This situation isn't the best situation for Jones, but man it is a good situation for the team. Reminds me of the Brooks/Beebe/Freeman/Rison/Howard era - just who can opposing teams focus on? 5 great weapons here - Jennings/Driver/Nelson/Jones/Cobb. My thought process is that Jones may be used as a decoy at times this year. Make no mistake, if he starts making shoestring catches, he'll be getting the ball often. His hands will decide where he is at seasons end. I would love to see him explode - he is ripe for it, time will tell.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will anyone be surprised if DD slows down towards the end of the year?

Will anyone be surprised if Jordy is the one with the low catch count in a different game?

If anything this will make finley more of a bargin when they are negotiating if he doesnt have a monster year, just merely a good one.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I dislike it when players go to the media to whine. Go to the friggin staff and ask "What do I have to do to get more snaps." Keep it internal, and keep wanting to improve and improve.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Every player is prob going to want to play 100% of the time...( maybe not every single one, but majority)

Jennings did it last year?? It just shows they want to be able to contribute as much as possible..

As Ivo said, there might be another game that Jordy wont have the # and JJ will..I also agree with Ivo that JJ isnt going anywhere..No team will want to trade for him unless they are really really in desperate need

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rotate to Jory/Finley/cobb the following couple of weeks. Maybe even Greeeeeeeg Jennings.

Reaction score
That's not whining. That's a good football player saying he would rather get the ball more. He didn't say he wanted to get the ball more or he will want a trade or something.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like James Jones, and he's accomplished a lot more than any of us expected when he was drafted out of San Jose St in 2007. None of us ever saw him play before or even heard of him prior to that shock draft pick.

Now he has obviously dropped some huge passes. But did we lose those games? The Bears game in 07 is his worst game, which we lost.

But his drops didn't cost us last year, luckily. Anyway, what's wrong with the Journal Sentinel? LOL, I know, start a LIST. But look at their stupid poll question:

How do you feel about Francisco Rodriguez and James Jones speaking up this week about their roles?

they have the right to gripe
just shut up and play

Excuse me, but James Jones caught a TD pass in the Atlanta playoff game and the Eagles playoff game that we won barely. He was our 2nd leading receiver on the whole season last year.
Who the hell us Francisco Rodriguez to be in the same question as James Jones?
Jones may have earned the right for his to express that opinion. I think he has. Some don't.
But again, who the hell is Frank Rodriguez?

I'm e-mailing Silverstein right now!

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he is complaining after 1 week is just really really sad. They did him a favor not cutting him preseason. We are deep at WR and he has the opposite of sticky fingers...

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reporters asked him and he answered.

And the thing is, he may have been in the plan and just wasn't worked in. I don't think McCarthy's chief concern is getting everyone their share of looks as he calls the plays. In future weeks, he may be featured more or other players may get hurt.

Jones probably could NOT be a starter on most teams. Let's drop that line, especially about a player who was a free agent in the off season. Every other team had a shot at signing Jones, and the Packers basically got him back at Ted's price. If next year, other teams offer more than Ted's price for Jordy or JerMike, Ted will let them walk, and still own Jones for the next two years. If he is able to re-sign Jordy and JerMike, he still doesn't necessarily have to cut Jones because he isn't overpaying him. If Jones asks for a trade or something, we can worry about it then, but I don't think we're anywhere close to that after one week.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
You know, we all as fans have such high regard for our players. It doesn't translate that way into the rest of the NFL. Many of our rookies made it to the practice squad including Gurley and West and Harrell. Jones was exposed in free agency and nobody made a bid. I don't think it's a reach to see that not many teams considered him a lock as a starter.
I don't read his words as whining, he is a competitor and I do think the media is going to focus every single darned game on who didn't get catches in our offense. It's going to make us sick by season's end.
That being said, I've always liked the potential of Nelson over Jones simply on height. I think if JJ can prove once and for all he's over the dropsies he'll see more his way.
As for a trade, I think we're all dreaming. If someone were considering him highly enough to give up a high level pick, they'd have taken him in free agency. And God forbid, he starts catching everything coming his way, nobody will want to part with him. Kind of a double edged sword.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson's only had one catch and look what he did versus the Panthers, Jones should learn from that.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson's only had one catch and look what he did versus the Panthers, Jones should learn from that.

Yes, and Jones dropped one in the middle of the field inside the red zone. Granted he got hit on the play, but.....

Latest posts