Jones Aftermath: News & Editorial

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Packers Could Hire a Female Chief Executive

For more than a year, the Green Bay Packers have had a succession plan in place for their front office, with John Jones set to take the position of chairman and chief executive officer when Bob Harlan retires. But that plan went out the window last week when it was announced that Jones would not get the job because of unspecified "management concerns." Now it's unclear who will take over the job, but the Appleton Post-Crescent lists an intriguing possibility: Vice president of finance Vicki Vannieuwenhoven. The NFL has very few women in high-ranking positions, either in the league office or in team front offices, and Vannieuwenhoven would become, along with Raiders chief executive Amy Trask, part of a very select group of top-level female front office personnel. That's not a reason for the Packers to hire her, but it is a reason to note the paucity of women in NFL front offices. Having Vannieuwenhoven running one of the league's most popular franchises would be a positive step.

Reaction score
OMG! VV NEXT PACK CEO?

Isn't Andrew Brandt the President of Finance?

I don't know what it'd say by hiring the VP of finance over the President.

And was the "OMG" thing really necessary?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OMG! VV NEXT PACK CEO?

http://packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Packers Could Hire a Female Chief Executive

For more than a year, the Green Bay Packers have had a succession plan in place for their front office, with John Jones set to take the position of chairman and chief executive officer when Bob Harlan retires. But that plan went out the window last week when it was announced that Jones would not get the job because of unspecified "management concerns." Now it's unclear who will take over the job, but the Appleton Post-Crescent lists an intriguing possibility: Vice president of finance Vicki Vannieuwenhoven. The NFL has very few women in high-ranking positions, either in the league office or in team front offices, and Vannieuwenhoven would become, along with Raiders chief executive Amy Trask, part of a very select group of top-level female front office personnel. That's not a reason for the Packers to hire her, but it is a reason to note the paucity of women in NFL front offices. Having Vannieuwenhoven running one of the league's most popular franchises would be a positive step.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
When i saw "VV" i thought "Vivian Vance!" (Ethel Murtz from "I Love Lucy!")LOLOL!!!
Hey.....having a chick run the show might get alot of FA's to come here! (Especially Viking players!) :rotflmao:

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG! VV NEXT PACK CEO?

I don't really care what sex the new CEO has. I want them to pick the person they believe is best qualified for the job.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DIRECTIONS

http://packers.scout.com/2/647375.html

In search of a new prez. Packers likely to look outside of organization for next CEO.

Hey, it’s baseball season, so let’s use a baseball analogy here in describing Green Bay’s change at the top of the front office: Bob Harlan swung and missed twice on thoughtfully preparing the Green Bay Packers organization for his successor. Now Harlan, who was expected to retire later this week, is back up to bat, seeking to connect on the next leader of the Pack. On the mound: Father Time. The Packers’ seven-member executive committee decided over the weekend to put president and chief operating officer John Jones on an extended leave of absence, just days before Father Time’s deadline. Though health doesn’t appear to be the issue with Jones, the executive committee labeled it a “management issue” and have more or less released Jones from his duties with a year’s pay.

Fortunately for the Packers, Harlan has agreed to extend his stay as president. But Father Time isn’t exactly on the side of the 70-year-old Harlan, who was expected to begin his retirement on May 31, the day when Jones was supposed to take over as team president. But something came up regarding Jones in the past month, which Harlan and others in the organization will not specify, that has now caused the Packers to begin thinking about pursuing someone else to be the next president. “I thought I had it very well planned, and something unforeseen and unfortunate occurred, and now we have to deal with that,” Harlan said on Saturday in making the announcement about Jones. Harlan and executive committee member Peter Platten both said that they have yet to think about who the next successor to Harlan will be, but you can bet they are on it as you read this. The next president of the Packers will ultimately be the choice of the executive committee. Besides Harlan and Platten, the prestigious panel also includes Edward Martin, John Bergstrom, Carl Kuehne, John Fabry and Larry Weyers, all of whom are from the Green Bay area.

Harlan hired Mike Reinfeldt in 1991 as the team’s chief financial officer. Besides that role, Harlan also said that he earmarked Reinfeldt as a strong candidate to step in as the eventual team president. Reinfeldt was given the title of Vice President of Administration from 1994-98, overseeing all non-football staff in that time. Mike Holmgren and the Seattle Seahawks lured Reinfeldt away from Green Bay in 1999 as Senior Vice President. He was the Seahawks’ Vice President of Football Administration before he signed on to be general manager of the Tennessee Titans this spring. Whether or not the Packers could lure Reinfeldt back to Green Bay remains to be seen, but Reinfeldt probably is the strongest candidate out there for the job, but since he just began in Tennessee, he may not want to move. Outside of Reinfeldt, some feel that Green Bay’s vice president of player finance/general counsel Andrew Brandt may be a candidate. Brandt, who turns 47 on July 19, joined the Packers in February of 1999 as director of player of finance. Like Reinfeldt, he has been very impressive at handling player negotiations and the team’s salary cap. Brandt is probably the best in-house candidate to be team president.

There is a slight chance that the Packers may agree to have Jones return as president, but that seems very remote. Platten said on Saturday “there would be a possibility that he (Jones) would be able to come back in the future.” However, there wasn’t a whole lot of conviction in Platten’s tone of voice when he made that statement in front of reporters. Jones seemed to have the same out-going personality with fans that Harlan has, which is an important aspect of the position. Especially since the Packers are a publicly owned organization. Apparently Jones' philosophy on whatever it could be rubbed Harlan the wrong way at the wrong time, and now Jones is on the outside looking in. Whoever the Packers pursue, should have those qualities, plus the ability to make cold, hard decisions, like the one that Harlan made this past week on Jones. For now, Reinfeldt appears to be the best candidate, but the Packers probably will be looking closely at others outside the organization as well.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LARGE PACKER NATION POLL

JSONLINE SPORTS POLL OF THE DAY:

Do you think John Jones will eventually return to become CEO of the Packers?

No (96.5%)
Yes (3.5%)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: LARGE PACKER NATION POLL

Seriously..........I also don't care if the person is a man or woman. All i care is that they are GOOD at their job!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: LARGE PACKER NATION POLL

I really hope they don't bring in Mike Reinfeldt. As I've stated before, someone like him will bring with them allegiances and prejudices based on prior relationships with present employees, and I do think we need someone with a new outlook on the future of this franchise.

Besides, I went to school with the guy and believe me, he's a real ****.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FASCINATING: PERSPECTIVES & FUTURE

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/

One Year Later

It is going to take one year to anoint a new team President? How hard is it to find someone who knows the right people and spent some time at an Ivy League school? Proficiency in attending office meetings and kissing *** is desirable. Apparently John Jones wasn't too good at the latter: A source from the National Football League told the Journal Sentinel that Packers employees had told Harlan they had concerns about Jones' ability to manage the franchise. Someone's fur was rubbed the wrong way. Although this subject is as exciting as a press conference, it holds a strange fascination for me. It would be great if Jones really was a jerk who the organization pushed out to maintain the integrity of the Packers, but he probably lost some power struggle. He may have been a jerk, but it is just as likely that he was a good guy who is the scapegoat for something or other. Too bad the real story will ever make it out and we will probably never find out the size of his golden parachute.

http://www.rotlalasz.com/

We and Mister, Mister Jones

The first thought at the news John Jones will never lead GBP: This could affect the rest of our lives. I’d also like to call it Bob Harlan’s latest mistake, although that would sound petulant and ungrateful. Harlan is the best thing that happened to GBP in the last 40 years. He hired Wolf and left him alone. He also recognized that a renovated stadium was critical for the franchise’s survival, and pushed that through in tax-me-not Brown County. And he brought thrust and considerable business acumen to an organization that had been a punching clown on and off the field for decades. GBP is now a model corporation in many respects.
But, as with Wolf, Harlan made considerable mistakes late in his tenure: Sherman and Thompson. Wolf was impressive and persuasive, but one wonders why Harlan didn’t do due diligence with those two hires as he did with Wolf. When faced with the promotion of a one-year coach to King of the World, he didn’t look closely. And so our troubles began. A friend of this space with insight into the present situation tells me that Jones’ health was the key factor in the decision, that he has never fully recovered from heart surgery and that his drive is lacking. The team denies that, according to Demovsky. Naturally: They fear sabotaging Jones’ future high-level employment elsewhere.

But both Demovsky and Don Walker of JS Online report that Jones never meshed well with GB employees. Walker leads today with an account of how bad-cop Jones nicely complemented good-cop Harlan during the stadium tax debate, then suggests that such arm-twisting didn’t play well with the underlings: Paul Jadin, who was mayor of Green Bay during the debate over the stadium sales tax, said Sunday that Jones was as responsible for the success of the new Lambeau Field as Harlan was. But he said that, while he was shocked that the news that Jones was out came so fast, he was not shocked that it was going to happen. “My perception is that there was a culture shock there,” said Jadin, who is CEO of the Green Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. “The change from Bob to John was stark. I just don’t think that anyone there was prepared to go from Bob to John in terms of personality. That was apparent to me.” Demovsky: Following the widely popular Harlan was going to be a difficult task regardless, but Jones never seemed to gain the full support of those who worked under him, according to NFL sources familiar with the situation. In recent months, several team employees expressed concerns about Jones to at least one executive committee member, one of the sources said.

The amazing thing about that statement is that those employees didn’t feel confident enough to go to Harlan, although somebody finally did, obviously. On the other hand, backstabbing through executive committee members is a finely-calibrated art in Green Bay, although somewhat under-practiced in recent years. So what do we have? A picture of a guy who was abrasive, a feather-ruffler, the opposite of Harlan, and now weakened by illness. That’s not going to work in GB, where Jones is still regarded by many as a complete outsider: a journalist (OMG) who’d gone straight but served time for the NFL front office and Jacksonville (?!) before landing his gig in GB. And, as the friend puts it, many guys in Green Bay are known for having coronaries on Thursday and showing up for work Monday morning. This franchise is in the middle of having a coronary. Right now we need the old Bob Harlan to show up and administer the nitroglycerin, although a nice mixed grill of Zoloft and Klonopin would be great for the anxiety, too.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070530/GPG0101/705300672/1058/PKRFeatures

Packers board faces leadership question. Harlan succession top order of business today

Today's quarterly meeting of the Green Bay Packers' board of directors was supposed to be John Jones' first day at the team's helm as president and chief executive officer. Instead, after the stunning news over the weekend that Jones is out as replacement for Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bob Harlan, the 11 a.m. meeting now will take up a topic critical to the franchise's future: How should the Packers search for a new successor to run one of the most historic and revered franchises in American sports? The board first will have to pass a resolution to extend Harlan's stay as chairman and CEO beyond the retirement age of 70 as mandated in the team's bylaws. Harlan will stay in that position until his replacement is in place, which could take anywhere from a few months to as long as a year. Jason Wied, the team's vice president of administration and corporate counsel, was drawing up a resolution on Tuesday to extend Harlan's tenure. Harlan said Tuesday the board won't raise the mandatory retirement age.

Jones officially is on administrative leave. Harlan cited only "management issues" as the reason behind Jones' departure, but it's become clear that Harlan and the team's ruling executive committee over the past several months developed misgivings about Jones because of glitches in the function of the administrative side of the organization, as well as complaints about Jones by subordinates. Jones presumably is on leave until he and the Packers agree on a severance package. The Packers' executive committee now has to decide how to choose Harlan's replacement. One possibility is following the procedure former team President Judge Robert Parins used to promote Harlan as his successor in 1989. For that hiring, Parins formed a search committee comprised of members from both the executive committee and the board as a whole. They vetted candidates for a short list of candidates to interview, after which Parins recommended Harlan to the executive committee. Unlike in '89, it's now common for sports franchises to hire a national search firm to compile a short list of candidates. Harlan and the team's search committee then could interview those candidates and recommend one to the executive committee, which ultimately makes the hire.

It's almost a given the Packers will hire a high-ranking official with an NFL team who has experience in both administrative and league matters. There appear to be only two candidates who work for the Packers: Wied, who is 35, and Andrew Brandt, the team's vice president of player finance and general counsel, who is 46.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: FASCINATING: PERSPECTIVES & FUTURE

I can understand why the team might want to promote from within. Failure to do so MIGHT hurt some feelings as if it meant that that "someone" was short on the talent necessary. However, this is BIG business where a thick skin is an absolute MUST. I would encourage the executives to consider a talented outsider too. This team is bigger than any one or any number of people. All they need to do is advertise that they are accepting applications and they will be flooded with aps.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REFLECTIONS & FUTURE DIRECTIONS

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=612879

Harlan: Jones' issues surfaced in fall 'I'm probably to blame. I waited...," Packers' chairman tells reporters.

Green Bay - Problems with John Jones' management style began to concern Bob Harlan last fall, Harlan said today in a meeting with reporters at Lambeau Field. Here's what Harlan had to say: "What happened when this came to light last fall, my thought was we are going to be very patient, study this and re-evaluate it as time goes along and see if things improve. I wanted to give him (Jones) every opportunity to see if the situation wouldn't get better and we could move forward. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. And I'm probably to blame. I waited...."

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PACKERS: THE NEXT CEO?

I read somewhere, in the opinion of a writer, that Mike Holmgren would be a good man for the job. He certainly knows what's going on in the league and co-chaired the competition committee. Just tossing that out for pro & con.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PACKERS: POSTJONES FALLOUT

Code:
Last edited by TOPHAT on Sun Jun 03, 2007 04:46 AM; edited 16 time in total
Holy established writer batman!

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PACKERS: POSTJONES FALLOUT

Code:
Quit ribbin', he's French.

I bet you don't have a masters degree in economics Mr. Smarty Pants Zero.

:rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: PACKERS: POSTJONES FALLOUT

Zero2Cool said:
Code:
Quit ribbin', he's French.

I bet you don't have a masters degree in economics Mr. Smarty Pants Zero.

:rotflmao:

I never claimed to have a degree in anything lol

As for economics, geesh. I only got a B in Microeconomics last quarter. :( guess thats all you can expect when you do it half ***.

edit, he's french? wow that explains a lot

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZERO & ***** GAMES: CULTURE UPBRINGING

kmac said:
Quit ribbin', he's French. :rotflmao:

His profile says that he is a Consultant...Hmmmmm :rotflmao:

Consulant Defined

Yes, I am...French. This last quote is hilarious considering the source's definition. I am reminded of a joke: "There is only one thing worse than a country red neck...a city red neck."

By the way, my profile says writer, NOT consultant. Can you read?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts