Jonathan Vilma - Available?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If this is true and they are shopping him for a decent price, give up a 2008 pick for him and let him compete with Poppinga for a starting spot. If nothing else than depth. Not sure why they don't think he fits a 4-3 other than he isn't a MLB like they have tried to make him. But he has a world of talent.

There have been rumors about a possible impending trade of Jets LB Jonathan Vilma because he's not a perfect fit in the 4-3 defensive scheme. "Jon is on the team. I'm glad he's here," GM Mike Tannenbaum said. Tannenbaum, however, declined to say Vilma, or any other player on the roster, is "untouchable." -- New York Post

From SI.com truth and rumors..

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should spend money somewhere else. We could have all good linebackers and no good safties. We need safties, end of story.

(draft a RB, sign a free agent saftey)

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what would people think of drafting paul poslusney and having a kick *** LB core for next 10 years?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I think we should spend money somewhere else. We could have all good linebackers and no good safties. We need safties, end of story.

(draft a RB, sign a free agent saftey)

I agree, but he has affordable contract for two more years and if nothing else gives us depth that we lack in the OLB. But to me it really depends on what they want in trade.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible, remember TT was a LB in the NFL.

Let's see, trade for Vilma, draft Willis, sign Arrington, still have Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga and Hodge.

Just out of curiosity, has any team ever had a defense where they started 11 linebackers?

:beersign:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
It's possible, remember TT was a LB in the NFL.

Let's see, trade for Vilma, draft Willis, sign Arrington, still have Barnett, Hawk, Poppinga and Hodge.

Just out of curiosity, has any team ever had a defense where they started 11 linebackers?

:beersign:

Well in my opinion Vilma would be an upgrade over Poppinga, but then again we have so much depth at LB what good would that be.
:packbeer:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we arent getting Vilma. The article states he isnt a good fit for a 4-3 which last time i checked is what the packers run. Also we already have alot of money in the lb poistion with Hawk, Barnett both 1st rounders we cant afford to throw more money at the LB poistion and have 3 1st round LBer's

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What POSSIBLE reason would we get Vilma? Please. Use common sense people.

Not every single player that comes available fits in GB.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Okay since apparently I didn't type my statement clear enough and the wording is wrong on the statement.

A) Vilma is playing out the last two years of his rookie contract which his salary is around 1.5 for both years, not huge money.
B) He excelled in the 4-3 that Herm Edwards ran there, Pro Bowl, but is struggling in the 3-4, this article had it backwards.
C) In the first post, I said if they are going to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, isn't he better than any 2nd round or especially a 3rd rounder that we could draft? If they come calling offer next years pick or a pick and KGB.
D) What depth do we have in the LB core other than Hodge, an unproven player? Taylor isn't resigned. And did everyone else see a different Poppinga that I seen out there struggling in coverage? Maybe I am going blind.
E) It isn't likey, all I was saying with all my common sense, is if they are willing to move him for a decent price for trade compensation, isn't he an upgrade over Poppinga?

Wholly crap batman, damn if a guy says it would be of interest. Was anyone screaming TED get'm TED. No, relax gents :thumbsup:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wholly crap batman, damn if a guy says it would be of interest. Was anyone screaming TED get'm TED. No, relax gents :thumbsup:

Sorry, I was just upset at the way the Brewer game ended and I took it out on that post. Yuck.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Sorry, I was just upset at the way the Brewer game ended and I took it out on that post. Yuck.

Yeah that sucked, gave up a granny to Biggio then score 3 runs and put 2 more on. But they should win today.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts