Jonathan Taylor Heisman Watch...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Preseason polls don't necessarily mean a ton, but I think its safe to say that Jonathan Taylor has a legit shot at a run for the Heisman this year, he was 9th in the voting last year. He will have to really dominate though and with some new faces on the OL, if he does have a great year, voters might see that it wasn't just the offensive line getting him those yards.

At this point there are a few guys that I would say are ahead of him and many nipping at his heals.
  1. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
  2. Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas
  3. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
  4. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin
  5. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
  6. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...r-travis-etienne/sd46t02pxqdl1g0iexvn3vm4j/26

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he needs to hang on to the ball before I'd consider him for anything more than he's already won

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he needs to hang on to the ball before I'd consider him for anything more than he's already won
He definitely is no Saquon Barkley when it comes to fumbling. Barkley hasn't fumbled since 2016 and almost 800 carries!

Taylor's fumbles were down though last year, just 4. However, getting it down to 1-2 this season would go a long way. The Badgers would also have to help his cause by giving him some opportunities to catch the ball out of the backfield, something they haven't used him nearly enough for IMO. Granted, that lack of use, probably equates to lack of confidence in him.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely is no Saquon Barkley when it comes to fumbling. Barkley hasn't fumbled since 2016 and almost 800 carries!

Taylor's fumbles were down though last year, just 4. However, getting it down to 1-2 this season would go a long way. The Badgers would also have to help his cause by giving him some opportunities to catch the ball out of the backfield, something they haven't used him nearly enough for IMO. Granted, that lack of use, probably equates to lack of confidence in him.
I'm surprised the threw the ball at all considering what they had at QB. He'd leave those guys hanging out to dry with those short passes because he'd hold the ball so long and then float it so much.

But he's going to be fun to watch again. Hang on to that ball and he'll be sitting well for individual accolades by the end of season and the Badgers should be looking at a good season too.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On to the Pro's! Can't say enough about this kid. His football talent speaks for itself, but off the field, just a great guy. Barring injury, I predict a successful NFL career, but if that doesn't pan out, still bet on this guy to go far in life.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Next man up. With the Big Uglies the Badgers always put up front ... there'll be a new JT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The oline does deserve credit, but this kid doubles and triples the yardage on all those runs where there was just a sliver of room over what any other back would get. And if there was a bigger hole, he'd hit it and be gone where more "normal" backs might not even get there before it closes. But even on plays blocked for 2 yards, he'd get 6-7. Lots of fun to watch. Good luck at the next level young man.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he silenced some doubters on 2 fronts:
  • "Any RB will thrive behind a consistently good Badger OL". While true that the Badgers consistently field solid OL's, as Mondio pointed out, JT produced way more than that OL was giving him. An OL that featured 4 new starters this year.
  • "He cant catch the ball": Personally, I don't think it wasn't that he couldn't catch it, the Badgers really didn't target him a lot his first 2 seasons. Even though, it was a huge offseason focus of his and his hands looked much better this season. He caught about 2 balls a game and picked up 252 yds and 5 TD's.
Another thing not mentioned often enough about Taylor is durability. He averaged 22.5 carries/game and I can't remember him missing any full games with injuries.

The biggest knock on him will be fumbles. While it appeared that he had put that behind him this season, he had a ball stripped nicely out of his hands in the Rose Bowl and a few more towards the end of the season. So I can see that dropping him in the draft.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Packers have other needs, as well as Aaron Jones I would love to see JT on the Packers. I think he potentially slips into the 2nd round and someone is going to get themselves an outstanding man and a potential superstar RB.

Staff online

Members online