1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Ryan's father passes away

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by IronMan, Dec 1, 2006.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    :cry:

The father of Packers’ punter Jon Ryan died today, according to coach Mike McCarthy.

Ryan will talk to family members before determining whether he will punt in the Packers’ game Sunday at Lambeau Field against the New York Jets. If Ryan doesn’t play, McCarthy indicated third-string quarterback Ingle Martin would serve as the team punter.

Bob Ryan had been diagnosed with terminal cancer this past summer. Jon Ryan visited his father in Canada earlier this week when it became clear Bob Ryan’s death was immiment.

:cry:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/PKR01/61201082/1989

2. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is really too bad. Not from the standpoint that we may lose a punter for a week but because of how it is going to effect Ryan.

3. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the fact that MM has allowed and facilitated the kid getting back to see his Dad on several occasions over the last couple months at the expense of some practice. There are many games in a career, but only one Dad.

4. gator

gator Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with the goodness in McCarthy allowing Ryan to spend as much time as possible with his Dad near the end...losing your father is always a traumatic thing--and having the chance to achieve some level of closure is very important....

My condolences go to the Ryans...for what it's worth..

5. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    For some reason this really hits me hard, surely no way near as hard as Jon of course. I really feel bad for Jon and hope he does as well as a fatherless son can.

6. charlesplaisted

charlesplaisted Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's one (and only) way to get Ingle on the playing field.

(Some people here should happy.)

Condolences to the Ryan family.

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel bad for the family. Condolences to his family. I hope they can move on after the funeral. Death is a tough thing to deal with.

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am so sorry to hear about Ryans Dad, but so glad he got to spend sometime with him before his death...Condoleces to his family they will be in my prayers...

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    i think GB has a good support system in place, so the guys will be there for him.

10. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Always tough to lose a fellow country boy from the praries.
    Must be an emotional year to go from the ultimate high of being a Canadian palying for the GB Packers to losing your dad. I guess it's just like Tiger Woods summed up his year even after all the wins and majors. "For me the year's summed up as a loss"
    Sure glad his dad made it out earlier this year

11. packerfan1245

packerfan1245 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe he can ask Favre for advice. I hope u all remember that game when he lost his father.

12. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    How can we forget??! That was amazing.

13. gbpackers0065

gbpackers0065 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    sad stuff.......

btw......ingle was a very solid punter at furman

14. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    this is incredibly sad. major kudos to mccarthy & the entire packers organization for doing the right thing & letting ryan go visit his dad. i'm so glad he made it to lambeau for a game. i feel his pain & know exactly what he's going thru - it gets worse. hopefully with time, the pain will lessen for he & his family. i'm still waiting for that to happen. :(