Jon Ryan

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, that cut was a head-scratcher. I was always under the notion that he out-kicked his coverage. To my way of thinking, you'd just get faster punt coverage guys that he can't out-kick. ... haha... but, that's just me.

Sky King

Reaction score
The clown, who was ST coach at the time for GB, was smitten by that awful, non-clutch, broken-legged punter -- allegedly a friend of the family. One of the biggest personnel failures of recent seasons. He chose a lump of coal in favor of a diamond. Brilliant.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The clown, who was ST coach at the time for GB, was smitten by that awful, non-clutch, broken-legged punter -- allegedly a friend of the family. One of the biggest personnel failures of recent seasons. He chose a lump of coal in favor of a diamond. Brilliant.

Mike Stock was ST coordinator then. The rationale for the move was they though Derrick Frost was a better "directional" punter. He was. He got the opposition more directed to the Packers' side of the field.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ryan’s release reminds me of Wolf not re-signing Craig Hentrich, but Wolf had a better reason – the Titans made Hentrich the first million dollar punter. Wolf called letting him go his biggest mistake. Letting Ryan go at the time was a puzzle, as he said in the linked article, it looked like he had won the job. Add in Josh Bidwell's testicular cancer and the drafting of BJ Sander and the Packers have some ... interesting history regarding punters.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan’s release reminds me of Wolf not re-signing Craig Hentrich, but Wolf had a better reason – the Titans made Hentrich the first million dollar punter. Wolf called letting him go his biggest mistake. Letting Ryan go at the time was a puzzle, as he said in the linked article, it looked like he had won the job. Add in Josh Bidwell's testicular cancer and the drafting of BJ Sander and the Packers have some ... interesting history regarding punters.

Don't forget Ray Stachowicz.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think that Buckley, a/k/a Highway 27, because EVERYONE travelled over him, declared himself the next Jim Thorpe...no ego issues there...

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Ryan had a terrible game against the Giants in the 2007 championship game. I think that went a long way to him getting cut.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Ryan had a terrible game against the Giants in the 2007 championship game. I think that went a long way to him getting cut.

The game that really hurt him was that blow-out loss in Chicago a couple of weeks before.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I am from Regina, Saskatchewan where Jon Ryan is from. I am not making this up but my cousin was dating Ryan's best friend and Ryan said he got cut because the coach at the time didn't like that he was a Canadian taking a good job from an American.

H

HardRightEdge

In preseason game 1, we saw Ryan being head and shoulders above the other inexperienced candidates in the knowing-what-he's-doing category. Palmer looks like he knows what he's doing but lacks in the all important execution department...he still looks like a Brad Jones redux.

I've commented on Ryan looking pretty decent in zone pass coverage in his college tape, and his 4.65 speed would qualify him for man coverage against backs and TEs, with his coverage ability being a potential differentiator.

At the same time, his well-noted smash-mouth SAM backer qualifications appear redundant with respect to Barrington.

Now we get this from Wilde commenting on Wednesday's practice:

"Rookie inside linebacker Jake Ryan took another step in the right direction – toward nailing down the spot we’ll call “the starting inside linebacker when Clay Matthews isn’t there” with a terrific athletic play in practice Wednesday. Dropping into coverage, Ryan skied to bat away a Brett Hundley pass that was headed for a seemingly wide open Myles White."

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=54841

I'm the last guy to make more out of one practice snap than what's there, but this is one minor confirmation of my original take on this player: he has potential to displace Barrington as the 3-down ILB....perhaps not immediately but not too far down the line.

H

HardRightEdge

So are Jake and Jon Ryan brothers? :)
See...this is what you get when you try to put something on topic...and are hurrying to catch the start of the game. :confused:

F it. From now on I'm going back to posting where I d*mn well please. :eek:

Members online

Latest posts