Jon Ryan falls behind B.J. in punters race...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike many positions, punters and kickers boots in practice often are a poor reflection on how they will perform under the lights.

Early on many were handing Ryan the job when he was kicking the Hell out of the ball with no rush and no pressure. At the time I kept writing that I hoped he would win the job, but he needed to overcome a slow snap to boot rate (which resulted in him being blocked 5 times last season in Canada) and greatly improve his hang time.

I have not seen him accomplish either. After Sat. miscue -- dropping a perfect snap in the endzone -- I think alarm bells finally went off for the Packer Nation.

BJ Sanders may not have a big foot, but he has a far quicker release, better hang time, and so far more consistency. At this point he is the Packers punter. If they hope to upgrade over BJ, Ted Thompson better get to work on the phones or at least be watching the waiver wires, because as much as we all had hoped, Jon does not look to like the answer.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up on Ryan just yet. Keep in mind how bad Sander was as the cold arctic air settled in on the Tundra.

Ryan will adjust and will improve... IMHO

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that either of these two guys is the answer. There has to be a punter someplace that can kick for decent distance and can get some hang time too. Both of these guys are too inconsistent. You get a great kick out of Ryan, then the next one isn't so good. Sander just doesn't have the big leg to kick and he just misses too often.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd much rather Jon Ryan than BJ Sander. Sander has proved his lack of worth. Ryan bobbled a snap, but recovered 'fairly'.

Edge has to go to Ryan, but I'd like to see someone else brought in to fight for the position.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you a friend of Jon Ryan's, by any chance? A bobbled snap in the end zone is a big deal. I've been hoping for Ryan to beat out Sander too, but just as Bruce said, things have probably changed after Saturday night's game.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the kicking aspect keep in mind that either one will be the holder for Rayner. BJ nearly squandered the field goal single handedly. That field goal almost didn't happen.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Bruce.

Truth be told, I don't think Ryan can't make the transition to the NFL. In the CFL, they have bigger game balls, and a real lack of quality return men (excluding a few).

I know I will get blasted, but I think Sander is the best man for the job. Simply put, last years NFL Euro experience took a lot out of him near the end. I like his hang time, his mental toughness he seems to be developing, and the akward spin he gets on his punts. I really think BJ will be the future Packers punter.

IMO I disagree with a lot of people saying he is a friggin punter, and has no right to complain. He does. The amount of punts he had during NFL Europe and Europe practices, TC practices to beat the competition last year, regular practices, and NFL games made his leg tired. It is similar in soccer, and I have first hand experience in it. He shouldn't be as bad as everyone thinks he will be, but I do expect him to win the job soon.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats one of the reasons of preseason. let these 2 fight it out. Ryan might be good in practice but choke when the lights are on. It might have been a ont-time-only incident. cmon now, guys!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers cut punter B.J. Sander
Written by Wire Services
Monday, 21 August 2006
Green Bay - The Packers cut punter B.J. Sander and linebacker Kevin Schimmelmann on Monday.

Sander was selected in the third round of the 2004 draft but never performed up to expectations. Sander's release leaves the Packers with one punter on the roster, Jon Ryan, who played in the Canadian Football League last year and was signed as a free agent during the off-season. Sander (6-4, 218 pounds)averaged 39.2 yards on 64 punts last season, with 11 inside the 20 and two touchbacks.

Schimmelmann was signed as a non-drafted free agent out of Stanford in May.

I expect them to be looking for some competition for Ryan ASAP

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume they

A. Have someone in mind if they made the move.

or

B. Are doing with Jon Ryan what they did with Rayner, which is "here, no competition. Perform. If you do, no problem. If you don't, we will get someone to replace you."

It seems(1 preseason game) to have worked for Rayner, so lets see. Im down for the change, especially a change that gets rid of Sander.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no they wont. they wont bring in another kicker.

they might bring in another punter.

care to make this a "packerforum.com gentlemen bet?"

maybe whoever loses doesnt post for 3 days?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
no they wont. they wont bring in another kicker.

they might bring in another punter.

care to make this a "packerforum.com gentlemen bet?"

maybe whoever loses doesnt post for 3 days?

Why would I bet that. If I don't want you to post for three days I'll just rip TT. Then you'll lose it and get suspended again :lol:

BTW....If they don't bring in another kicker then TT really is an idiot. But he isn't, so expect a kicker to be arriving soon.

showstopper4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahah eat ****. eat my ****. Yeah sander has the advantage. Right. Keep up with training camp and watch the games. Look at the potential of Ryan. Thank God! Sander had to go. Told you dumb****s earlier.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showstopper4 said:
hahah eat ****. eat my ****. Yeah sander has the advantage. Right. Keep up with training camp and watch the games. Look at the potential of Ryan. Thank God! Sander had to go. Told you dumb****s earlier.

Showstopper.....I'd like for you to stick around for awhile. Seriously, you better read the rules. It doesn't bother me but the mods don't take kindly to this kinda post. Tread lightly.

Members online

Latest posts