Jon Baldwin (WR, Pittsburgh)

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzuT2K0B68]YouTube - Jonathan Baldwin highlights 2009[/ame]

Pitt receiver Jonathan Baldwin entering NFL draft | ProFootballTalk

He is a big guy at 6-5 230, but can run an estimated 4.48e 40 yard dash. He is presently the #6 WR in the junior class according to our board at NFLDS. As of right now he would be near a 2nd or 3rd rounder. This class will be deep at DL, CB, and WR, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he drops because of the depth or is part of a 1st or 2nd round run on WRs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need to watch more of him, but I have some questions:

How is his route running (does he run pro routes or does he simply "goes deep")?
How is his blocking?
Is he good at YAC?

Would love for a big WR in the Packers, but the guy needs to play ball, and not just be a tall target...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is his route running (does he run pro routes or does he simply "goes deep")?
How is his blocking?
Is he good at YAC?

Would love for a big WR in the Packers, but the guy needs to play ball, and not just be a tall target...

You have anyone in mind?

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow after watching this the guy has a ton or raw talent! Would love to see him in Green and Gold. Jennings, Driver, Finley, and Him, would be impossible to defend (if he can translate to the pro's well) but its fun to think about. That would also mean we don't bring Jones back

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is his blocking?
Is he good at YAC?

He is a very solid route runner, but will be a bit raw because he is a junior. Remember the reason he is leaving is because the current coaching staff only ran him on deep routes and didn't do anything shorter such as they did his SO year, so he wants to run other routes.

He is very good after the catch and even has a 61 yard run to his credit. Not the best blocker though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have anyone in mind?
Brandon Marshal.

Though his diva attitude rubs me off the wrong way.

All in all, if the Packers are gonna bring another receiver, first of all, he must be selfless. If he's a diva, he's automatically excluded. We already have one "diva" in Finley, and that's all we can handle.

Then, he must fit either of these molds:
1) Be a tall, though receiver. Doesn't need to be a burner, doesn't have to have elite speed, but he must be like Brandon Marshal, like Anquan Boldin, in that he's a willing blocker, and that he won't go down easily.

2) An hybrid WR/RB. A Harvin, Bush type, that we can use at the slot, but can also move to the backfield occasionally, to bring another dimension to this Packers offense.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want mismatches all over the field. I don't care how good you are at defensive back. When the guy is bigger and has a decent verticle... you're gonna have the hardest time defending him.

I always thought it'd be awesome to have a WR like Calvin Johnson on our team. This guy looks like a prospect. I love our WR core, but we don't have a MONSTER-sized WR which I hope we get in the upcoming draft. Just another dimension to our game.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Along the lines of MONSTER-WR's, we are great in the red zone. We would be UNSTOPPABLE with monsters on the field.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Having another guy of Finley's size but faster? Scary to think of how teams would even begin stopping our WR core. Double Finley? Jennings? Driver? (New stud WR) its crazy to think about. I think we go corner round 1 but WR/RB round 2 wouldnt suprise me.. LaMichael James in Rd. 2?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely. Having another guy of Finley's size but faster? Scary to think of how teams would even begin stopping our WR core. Double Finley? Jennings? Driver? (New stud WR) its crazy to think about. I think we go corner round 1 but WR/RB round 2 wouldnt suprise me.. LaMichael James in Rd. 2?

I heard LaMichael James is projected to go mid-rounds to do size inadequacies. He's a big name College player, so will undoubtedly want $$$$$. I see him playing the "Danny Woodhead" role, but really... it depends on the $$.

Let's see how Starks pans out for the rest of the reason.

OP
OP
D

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard LaMichael James is projected to go mid-rounds to do size inadequacies. He's a big name College player, so will undoubtedly want $$$$$. I see him playing the "Danny Woodhead" role, but really... it depends on the $$.

Let's see how Starks pans out for the rest of the reason.

James is a big name and will demand some cash, but is most likely to be a 1st round pick especially if he backs up that 4.42e.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Attitude Problems?
2011 NFL Draft: Jon Baldwin Could Slip Due To Attitude Issues - SB Nation Pittsburgh

If he fell to us... would you take him? I'd like a sit down with the cat. Let him know... this team is STACKED at the receiver position... you might not get the touches you want... but you'll be a part of something special. How do you feel about that?
I'd heard some other things about this kid before this..... not a high moral type of guy like we have many of.

There's no way Ted will take this kid just based on that.

Look at our WR's, they're all good PEOPLE, nice guys, team guys. Many WR's these days are punks, diva's, and Ted values a person's character.... Cross Baldwin off the list: He's a *****.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't take him as a first round pick. More pressing needs exist.

If they decided to go afer a WR in the second round I would hope that Torrey Smith would be around.......but he probably won't be.

Members online

Latest posts