Jolly making a push in camp.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts as reading this...

>Another reason maybe for the Packers dragging their feet in resigning Corey Williams..

> Do the Packers use some of this depth to pull off a trade in a weaker area of the teams... ummmm RB.. cough TE :)

> Did they hold Jolly back early in camp to **** him off and light a fire under his arsh?

> In hindsight... Again was DT a area in which we had to draft a player in the first round... To me, the pressure is one Harrell to show alot to warrent the pick of other areas of need. IE... TE, Safety or yes RB.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=643070

Defensive tackle impresses in camp
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 6, 2007
Green Bay - It sure seemed that Robert Nunn was guilty of temerity when, a few days before the start of training camp, he made the rather startling observation that Johnny Jolly wasn't far off from being a starting-caliber player for the Green Bay Packers.

Today, the team's co-defensive line coach looks neither rash nor bold after Jolly's terrific performance in the first week of practice. On Monday, Jolly was rewarded with a berth at right defensive tackle on the No. 1 defense.

Jolly had a big scrimmage Saturday night and another good day in practice Monday afternoon. The Packers are five deep at the position and the rotation isn't even close to being settled, but Jolly's ascension isn't without significance, either.

Given that Ryan Pickett and Corey Williams return as solid starters, Justin Harrell was drafted in the first round and Colin Cole played 327 more snaps than Jolly in 2006, isn't it ridiculous to think that Jolly could be starting Sept. 9 against Philadelphia?

"That's not ridiculous at all," said Reggie McKenzie, the club's director of pro personnel.

Despite the fact that Harrell's name was listed No. 1 at right tackle on the camp-opening depth chart, Williams and Cole actually ran first string for most of the first nine practices and the intra-squad scrimmage. Jolly and Pickett were second string, with Harrell and rookie Daniel Muir third string.

Neither Jolly nor Pickett was allowed to practice until the fourth day of camp, one day after they passed a conditioning exercise that they flunked July 27.

Pickett did and still does look somewhat out of shape. Jolly's weight was fine and his conditioning seemed OK, but for some reason he fizzled on test day.

That's ancient history now. Pickett was back starting Monday alongside Jolly, with Williams and Cole No. 2 and Harrell and Muir still No. 3.

Barring a trade, five tackles are expected to make the 53-man roster. Barring injury, one of the five probably won't be active on game day.

"That's a strong position for us," McKenzie said. "To tell you the truth, in this situation the (exhibition) games will separate that. Just let them all battle."

On Saturday night, Jolly opened at right tackle for the No. 2 defense against the No. 1 offense. On three of the first four plays he flashed exactly the improved play that the coaches have been seeing daily.

Brandon Jackson's 2-yard gain on a draw play would have been more if Jolly hadn't shed the block by center Scott Wells to make the tackle.

Then, after Greg Jennings came down inside to make a 5-yard reception, Jolly showed outstanding hustle and charged back to help on the tackle.

On the next play, Noah Herron burst for 5 away from Jolly, who once more got off Wells to make the stop.

"Very active," McKenzie said. "He's not a situational guy. He is complete."

Having missed the first four practices, Jolly did have fresh legs when allowed to practice last Tuesday. But that can't begin to account for how well he has fared in the one-on-one pass rush drill.

In the span of a week, Jolly has taken 12 turns against a total of nine different offensive linemen. By subjective judgment, Jolly has beaten his man nine times, lost two and had one draw.

Now compare Jolly's production against his fellow competitors. Harrell owns a 4-10-5 record, followed by Muir (3-11-6), Pickett (1-3), Cole (1-6) and Williams (0-4-2).

Even end Cullen Jenkins, regarded as the team's best inside rusher, is just 4-7-1. And the majority of Jenkins' repetitions have come against the same people trying to block Jolly.

Jolly has displayed a new spin move, much like Jenkins'. He has the size (6 feet 3 inches, 325 pounds) to bull rush but also the skill to get on the edge of blockers.

"He's got quick feet and he's got quick hands," McKenzie said. "That's why he's pretty good there (rushing the passer)."

Jolly wasn't first on this watch list or that All-American team, nor was he even all-state as a prep in Houston. He made all-district three times, backed up nose tackle Ty Warren as a freshman at Texas A&M before starting the next three seasons (6½ sacks) and was drafted by Green Bay in the sixth round.

"I've never been on top," Jolly said. "I'm always the underdog, so I'll never stop fighting. I'm going to keep working until I get it (starting job). I mean, that's the only way to go. I'm trying to help my family."

McKenzie loves what he has seen of Jolly's energy level and temperament this summer. This Jolly is better than the Jolly of '06, he says.

"Good kid," McKenzie said. "Real good kid. Very likeable. I like his progress. He's more comfortable with his technique and his responsibilities. Without a doubt."

By next week, McKenzie acknowledged that teams will have looked at exhibition tape and some might inquire about the Packers' interest in dealing a defensive tackle.

"I'm sure other teams might come knocking," he said. "But I don't want to let any of those guys go."

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line...you can never have too many quality DLs. And yes, a trade is certainly possible...let's see who drops during the summer.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need PUUUUSSSHHHH up the middle. We get a good center push and our ends are going to eat people up out there. This would be the difference from being very good to a GREAT defense.

Even Brett hates pressure from up the middle. He actually sucks when consistant pressure comes from there. But then again so do most QB's.

I remember going to a game in New Orleans(about three hours for me) and I swear it was Grady out there for the Saints that we could not hold down for nothing. Every play he pressured from the middle. Brett did not have a good game that day and we lost. The Saints sucked back then too.

Jolly reminds me of a young Grady. Very thick with some serious leverage.

With the overall depth we have in the interior line and end we should be able to get after the QB real good in that crucial 4th quarter when games are won and lost.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defensive line has the potential to be dominant considering how much depth it seems we have. Fresh defensive legs in the 4th quarter are deadly. We might, might just see the best defensive line we've had since '96.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brett works better under pressure when he can roll out. Not sure where you got the notion that he sucks when rushed. It's one of the things that makes him special. He's elusive and can make plays out of the pocket. So, yeah. Not sure where you got that from, or I mis understood ya. :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly making noise now?

This Defensive Line is going to be amazing if it can stay healthy for the most part.

Harrell won't even NEED to be all that great this year. Just get healthy, get used to NFL speed, get stronger, get smarter,etc.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett works better under pressure when he can roll out. Not sure where you got the notion that he sucks when rushed. It's one of the things that makes him special. He's elusive and can make plays out of the pocket. So, yeah. Not sure where you got that from, or I mis understood ya. :)

Brett has outstanding ability to feel pressure from the outside and move up or around and get away. When he is rushed from straight ahead he has a harder time with it.

He does not, in any way, suck when rushed overall. When a lineman or a blitzer comes from the inside he's not as good getting away as when he "feels" the pressure and can step up or has to move to one side because a DE is coming down on him.

When it's coming from the middle is when you usually see him running for his life.

Center pressure is a QB nightmare because it takes the ability to see downfield away.

When normal pressure comes and the pocket starts to collapse he's as good at sensing where he needs to go as anybody I have seen.

Not meant as a cut on Brett as much of a mention of how important that middle pressure is.

Fran the Man could handle middle pressure. Not with the pass but running it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jolly was one of the guys I said to watch for this camp. I think I said he would get Colin Cole cut. Looks like Cole may not get cut like I said but I think they should seriously consider trading Cole to another team in return for maybe a TE. I like Jolly and with Corey Williams being a free agent next year it's nice to see Jolly stepping it up.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I can't believe no one commented on this:

"I've never been on top," Jolly said.

I'm changing my sig!

LOL.. yep missed it I guess..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can easily say we're starting to have depth at the position.

It's time to pull the trigger with a trade and get some draft picks or a RB with okay experience.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if the Colts have a surplus at TE, but maybe they have something to offer the Pack. Here's what Peter King had to say in his SI column today about the Colts' loss of DT Booger McFarland:

"The Colts don't have the cap money to go get a big-name defensive tackle -- as if one were available at this time of year anyway. Defensive tackle is a commodity everyone in the league looks for, and the good ones are in short supply.

"My advice to Colts architect Bill Polian: Scout the Green Bay Packers on Saturday at Pittsburgh. Look hard at No. 97 for the Pack, Johnny Jolly. He's a 6-foot-3, 317-pound hulk with movement, who, when I saw him last Friday, was every bit the specimen of first-round pick Justin Harrell. And the Packers might not have a spot for him in their DT rotation. Jolly was a sixth-round pick in 2006, and my guess is the Packers would take a low fourth-rounder for him. That's the kind of fix the Colts need to make now, and the kind Polian is so good at. He's often made chicken salad out of chicken feathers, and Indianapolis needs his Midas touch this month as much as ever."

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I don't know if the Colts have a surplus at TE, but maybe they have something to offer the Pack. Here's what Peter King had to say in his SI column today about the Colts' loss of DT Booger McFarland:

"The Colts don't have the cap money to go get a big-name defensive tackle -- as if one were available at this time of year anyway. Defensive tackle is a commodity everyone in the league looks for, and the good ones are in short supply.

"My advice to Colts architect Bill Polian: Scout the Green Bay Packers on Saturday at Pittsburgh. Look hard at No. 97 for the Pack, Johnny Jolly. He's a 6-foot-3, 317-pound hulk with movement, who, when I saw him last Friday, was every bit the specimen of first-round pick Justin Harrell. And the Packers might not have a spot for him in their DT rotation. Jolly was a sixth-round pick in 2006, and my guess is the Packers would take a low fourth-rounder for him. That's the kind of fix the Colts need to make now, and the kind Polian is so good at. He's often made chicken salad out of chicken feathers, and Indianapolis needs his Midas touch this month as much as ever."

With all respects due PKing, I gotta say that I feel like there's little chance we move one of these guys this season. Check out MM's take:

Linkey-****

What do you think of the quality and depth of your defensive line?)
It really started last year. I thought that group was the most consistent on the football team and had the most depth. Adding Justin (Harrell) and some other young guys just adds to that depth. It's a very, very competitive position.

(How important is that to building a team?)
When we talk about the blue print of the Green Bay Packers we talk about the offensive and defensive line. That's where we put our emphasis. The transactions we've made for our football team reflect that. It all starts up front. Offensive and defensive line is a priority for us. I'm very happy with the depth at the defensive line.

(How good is that to see it come to fruition so quickly?)
Absolutely, we'll continue to build that group through the draft. You can never have enough good offensive and defensive linemen.

See what I mean? He sounds pretty content to me......

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but...but....they're not big name free agents! WAHHHHH!

:lare mode off:

building from within, daddio! I honestly didn't think Jolly would be stepping up. I assumed he would just provide depth and make an emergency start or two, not work himself into action like this.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see the Packers keep all 5 DT's activated and only activate 3 DE's for their games this year. I think it's very possible that both Harrell and Williams can play DE if something were to happen to two DE's in one game.

I read that they like the fact that Harrell is versatile enough to possibly play a power end spot and Williams is sort of similar. Of course this would be emergency only but from the looks of it I see no reason why the Pack wouldn't activate all 5 of their DT's for every game this season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
With all respects due PKing, I gotta say that I feel like there's little chance we move one of these guys this season. Check out MM's take:

Linkey-****

What do you think of the quality and depth of your defensive line?)
It really started last year. I thought that group was the most consistent on the football team and had the most depth. Adding Justin (Harrell) and some other young guys just adds to that depth. It's a very, very competitive position.

(How important is that to building a team?)
When we talk about the blue print of the Green Bay Packers we talk about the offensive and defensive line. That's where we put our emphasis. The transactions we've made for our football team reflect that. It all starts up front. Offensive and defensive line is a priority for us. I'm very happy with the depth at the defensive line.

(How good is that to see it come to fruition so quickly?)
Absolutely, we'll continue to build that group through the draft. You can never have enough good offensive and defensive linemen.
See what I mean? He sounds pretty content to me......

That's just coachspeak. If the Packers have a good DT who is not expected to get much playing time this season, they'd better take a look at getting some trade value for him. It may not be Jolly. It could be Colin Cole or Corey Williams.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It couldn't have worked out better for the team with Jolly stepping up. Harrell is still not in the best playing shape yet but he will be. But by then he'll have a real fight on his hands for playing time. It's ALL to the good, IMO. The competition will light a fire under Picket too, which is what he needs. Our LBs will be free to run the field and create havoc. The O should spend a lot more time on the field this year.