Johnny Jolly

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good call there.
As for Jolly and sacks: remember, what this defense was missing, BADLY, last year was a pass rush. Jolly brings nothing to the table there. That's what I was saying. Pickett does a fine job clogging the lanes on short yardage runs. Way better than Jolly.
And that was Jolly before all that Purple Drank, Prison, and aging.

Sacks is not the measure of a pass rush from the DT position. The most important thing for your DT to do in the pass rush is to take up extra blockers and get penetration. Jolly was excellent at pushing the line back and getting penetration. That is precisely why he had so many passes defended.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

The loss of one's freedon can have a dramatic impact on a person. Some think that people don't change, but they do. Johnny Jolly has and is still paying for his actions. Must the doors to a better future also be closed to him ? No one will forget his behavior, but I can forgive him. How many of us have made mistakes we are not proud of ? I believe he should at least be given the chance to succeed or to fail.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we will see then.... it seems to me his talents have grown in many people's memories.
What I remember was a guy who made a bonehead, undisciplined mistake in the 2nd Viking game in 2009 which cost us momentum and ultimately a touchdown.

But let's see if the coaches and staff disagree, and throw him back out there wearing the green & gold with all that we saw, see, and now know. Again, I would not based on everything. The team seems to not be counting on him with all the DL additions. But we'll see...... I don't like cheering for guys like that personally, but that's just me I guess.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Frank, what will you say if he is given a chance. If he can make the team. If he proves to be of value during the season. If he shows that he has really changed and stays out of trouble. What would you say then ? He would of course need to be given that chance first . Loosing one's freedom can be a powerful motovation.

Headrush

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id like to see Jolly get another shot, prove he's back in the groove making plays...and trade him before he has another "Blonde moment" off the field. Whether he's clean or not, the risk remains that he can/will relapse.

Its a sad story IMO, he seemed to improve every yr...at least in my eyes

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well we will see then.... it seems to me his talents have grown in many people's memories. What I remember was a guy who made a bonehead, undisciplined mistake in the 2nd Viking game in 2009 which cost us momentum and ultimately a touchdown..
Well, if he screwed up one play… I’m surprised he didn’t get yanked off the field and waived on the spot! Seriously, so far no one has chimed in to agree with your evaluation of his play; perhaps it’s your memory of him that is faulty. And you aren’t basing your opinion of him on that one play, are you?

In August 2010 McGinn wrote the following: “Last season, easily Jolly's finest in a four-year career, the Packers relied more on him than any other defensive lineman. He led the unit in snaps with 835, an average of 49.1 over 17 games. He was second in pressures with 12, and first in both batted passes (11) and turnover-producing plays (four).”
But let's see if the coaches and staff disagree, and throw him back out there wearing the green & gold with all that we saw, see, and now know. Again, I would not based on everything. The team seems to not be counting on him with all the DL additions. But we'll see...... I don't like cheering for guys like that personally, but that's just me I guess.
I don’t expect him to play for the Packers again, but whether or not he does will have nothing to do with how he played from 2006 through 2009. I know that because the Packers continued to employ him for two full seasons after his first arrest – they would have let him go if he weren’t talented. And I know that because I saw him play: He was a talented big man and as Thompson has said more than once, God only makes so many of those. But he’s been out of football for two full seasons and he’s obviously an addict who could relapse anytime. IMO if he doesn’t play for the Packers again, that’ll be why, not because he wasn’t a valuable player on the DL.

Here’s a link to McGinn’s 2010 article: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/101528253.html

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I think TT should just move on without him, why take a chance. There will be plenty of talented DL players to draft in the future that have better character.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming he kicked the habit I doubt Jolly would be the same player he was if he returned. Lot of time away from the game. I think it's a 99 % chance you won't see him play for the Packers again. We have other horses to ride now.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Well 13, he may not make the Packers, but he might could catch on in another city perhaps. Must he remain pinned to the dirt. The wistle has blown, the penalty has been accessed, lets move on.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well 13, he may not make the Packers, but he might could catch on in another city perhaps. Must he remain pinned to the dirt. The wistle has blown, the penalty has been accessed, lets move on.

I'm not pinning him to the dirt. Giving him a chance is ok but him being able to take advantage of it I don't see. I think he is in a different place now and so are the Packers.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

He needs the Comissioner's ok to return to the league. Another team may want a look at him. No personal digs intended 13, just an illistration. I don't believe in personal bashing. I did not mean you personally.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was in charge, when and/or if Jolly got reinstated, I would bring him in to see where he is at physically. He would have a chance to prove himself and make the team. When he last played, he was an impressive player. He plays one of those positions whos impact is not easy to analyze by just looking at statistics.

If I was Jolly, I would be thinking, 'Okay, I had a job where I was going to be making 3-4 million per year. I gave that up to be involved with drugs and the opportunity to make a couple 100k per year. I have now removed my head from my *** and I'm going to now bust my *** to get in shape and get back in the NFL.'

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Come on guys, just think of all the iron he pumped in the clink! I've said it before on the other thread, but he doea deserve a shot, it really couldn't hurt. Worst happens we cut him. Still, I hope Commish-Daddy re-instates him for NEXT offseason to give him a legitimate chance at the squad (also it helps him prove he actually kicked the habit)

12theTruth

The last time Johnny Jolly started as Green Bay Packer, the Packers had only given up 5 rushing TD's for the whole regular season, we had forced the most turnovers, and had the 2nd best defense in total yardage.

Granted, In 2009 we had a stellar defense which Jolly was an anchor on the D-line along with Cullen Jenkins. That team also had Collins, Woodson, and a rookie Clay Matthews.

But if you add a healthy Nick Perry, Datone Jones, a return to form of Sam Shields along with Jolly I think the defense could take a leap this year. Crossing my fingers!

As good as our D was all regular season, we were torched against the Arizona Cardinals in the postseason that year as we have pretty much every season with Capers at the helm outside of the Super Bowl season. Should be interesting!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if his name has anything to do with it.
How can you not root for a man with such a name that rolls off so easily off the tongue and whose last name is also a word that relates to happy?

Reaction score
He has the instinct of a db! :D 3 picks back in 2009 and the direct cause of 2 today! One more good preseason game and he's on the team!

Edit: technically 1 pick (and 1 preseason) but he had 2 that were called back and a couple fumble recoveries)

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What stuck out at me is the fact that he only played 15 snaps. As disruptive as he was you would have thought he was out there all game.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Jolly makes the team.
I read something this morning from somone like McGinn or Demovsky that they think the final DL spot will be between the rookie Josh Boyd or Johnny Jolly.

Datone Jones
Pickett
Raji
Neal
Daniels

Those are 5 locks IMO and we'll probably only have 1 more active.

I think CJ Wilson and Jolly make it as well. And usually we will have at least one of them injured anyway.

Members online

Latest posts