Johnathan Abram claimed off waivers

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad we could not have traded him for Savage and then played Abernathy

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Woohoo! Another 1st round bust on defense! Let's goooo!

Overreaction above. It's a solid move, but way too late for this team.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to pick him up, see what he can do

Lol at the first round bust comments - true, but might as well see what he can do

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as soon as I saw him get released I knew the Packers would be one of the teams that showed interest in him. Savage has been terrible this year, he takes bad angles on the ball and his tackling is horrible. He cannot make an open field tackle to save his life..as we have seen a dozen times already this year, and he’s on his way out. Throw in top of that Amos has also seemed to regress. He’s not as bad as Savage but he isn’t making any game changing plays to help us win either. Idk if it’s the scheme, but one of these guys will be gone next year…maybe even both I can almost guarantee that. The Packers will definitely be taking a safety early next draft and if Abram comes in and plays well kiss Savage career as a Packer goodbye.

I expect to see Amos or him in the box a lot with Campbell being out and Walker being inconsistent as a rookie.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with Stokes likely out a while and prior talk of maybe Savage being a nickel CB, maybe he takes safety and they move Savage? Or just someone to push him because he feels to comfortable about his position? I don't know how good he'll be. Young greats aren't usually available this time of year, so if there is something there, it's going to take work to get it out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as soon as I saw him get released I knew the Packers would be one of the teams that showed interest in him. Savage has been terrible this year, he takes bad angles on the ball and his tackling is horrible. He cannot make an open field tackle to save his life..as we have seen a dozen times already this year, and he’s on his way out. Throw in top of that Amos has also seemed to regress. He’s not as bad as Savage but he isn’t making any game changing plays to help us win either. Idk if it’s the scheme, but one of these guys will be gone next year…maybe even both I can almost guarantee that. The Packers will definitely be taking a safety early next draft and if Abram comes in and plays well kiss Savage career as a Packer goodbye.

I expect to see Amos or him in the box a lot with Campbell being out and Walker being inconsistent as a rookie.
I think Savage is here regardless unless we can find someone to trade for him.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are claiming 1st round busts in hopes of improving our defense, it doesn't give me hope that we will make the playoffs.

That was a joke...

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like it a bit honestly. I don't think he's been TERRIBLE and has generally been really good in the run game to my eye (which we have sucked at, lol)

OP
OP
GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a good change of scenery, see if he pans out kinda move. Similar to when we picked up Rasul. Maybe a more functional locker room will help him (assuming the Pack locker room hasn't been too divided with all the L's).

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I’m just glad we can talk about an acquisition Gutekunst ACTUALLY made, as opposed to acquisitions he “almost made”.

Refreshing!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with Stokes likely out a while and prior talk of maybe Savage being a nickel CB, maybe he takes safety and they move Savage? Or just someone to push him because he feels to comfortable about his position? I don't know how good he'll be. Young greats aren't usually available this time of year, so if there is something there, it's going to take work to get it out.
Exactly, Mondio. Move Savage to the slot, Abrams plays Savage's old Safety spot (hopefully slightly better?). This allows a good look at Savage in the slot to see if he can be of value.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good pick up. As soon as I heard he got released I was hoping Gute would pick him up and so here he is.

Let's give him a shot. Maybe change of scenery and Bisaccias tutelage will work wonder.

At the very least he will put preasure on Savage and Amos to pull there heads out of there ***. And hopefully help in the run game and special teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not overly impressed with Gutekunst picking up another castoff from the 2-6 Raiders but let's see how that move works out.

Savage has been terrible this year, he takes bad angles on the ball and his tackling is horrible. He cannot make an open field tackle to save his life..as we have seen a dozen times already this year, and he’s on his way out. Idk if it’s the scheme, but one of these guys will be gone next year…maybe even both I can almost guarantee that. The Packers will definitely be taking a safety early next draft and if Abram comes in and plays well kiss Savage career as a Packer goodbye.

The Packers exercised the fifth year option on Savage this offseason resulting in him being signed for next season at close to $8 million fully guaranteed. He's not going anywhere.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At worst he's another Packer safety whiffing on tackles & allowing crossers huge gains. ;). I'm excited for the possibilities.
We are unlikely to make playoffs at this point so it isn't a bad idea to pick him up and play him extensively fior the rest of the season and see if he can push Savage for stating spot in 2023.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are unlikely to make playoffs at this point so it isn't a bad idea to pick him up and play him extensively fior the rest of the season and see if he can push Savage for stating spot in 2023.
Abrams is a UFA after this season... so he's playing for an extension which should be adequate incentive.

Reaction score
I actually could see Savage doing better at Nickel Corner. It would force him to be in the spotlight and expose him heavily (this possibly forcing him to hit someone) He’s a brilliant Actor and he makes another former Packers, MD Jennings, look like an All-Pro

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I like the pickup of Abram and wonder if the Packers will try and grab DL Jerry Tillery, who was released by the Chargers yesterday. Not sure if he fits the scheme that Barry is running, but I also don't know how long Barry will be around.

Heads will roll after the season, if not before. It won't be MLF, but I fully expect Barry to be on the chopping block.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pickup of Abram and wonder if the Packers will try and grab DL Jerry Tillery, who was released by the Chargers yesterday. Not sure if he fits the scheme that Barry is running, but I also don't know how long Barry will be around.

Hope not, GB is having a hard time getting snaps for Slaton & Wyatt so don't want more "competition" unless Clark, Lowry or Reed go down for the season (knocking wood, don't wish that). Not sure Barry knows what scheme he's running, so would just add more uncertainty? ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts