1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Montana On Aaron Rodgers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by greenandgold, Dec 16, 2011.

1. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    Apparently he's a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    That's exactly what Brett said too! NOT.:poop:

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    That's very cool of him.

Joe will always be my choice as the greatest QB to ever play the game. I don't really compare quarterbacks today to those guys, since it was a whole different league. And if Joe Cool had the tuck rule, he would have played against Buffalo in the Super Bowl.

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Considering the source, that's a mighty fine compliment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I agree with Montana as #1.
    Interestingly, I just watched the NFL Network's Top Ten Super Bowls ever with my 8-year old son.
    And a game they ranked like the 3rd or 4th Super Bowl, which I remember watching in 1988 as I (am old) won about $200 from that game, was Joe's Niners beating the Bengals with the last second TD pass to John Taylor.

What is interesting though, that I had forgotten, was that before that pass, Montana threw a pass over the middle that was right to the Cinci Bengal DB. Easy gift interception, but the clown dropped it. Dropped pass changed history, as it did for Jackie Smith and his Cowboys.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

Now that is something right there! I didn't even think about that.

I feel the same way about the 1990 Giants. That missed FG in the Super Bowl would have gave Buffalo what they truly deserved instead of 3 more years of pain repeating.Same goes for the NFC Championship that year. Had Craig not fumbled in the last minute, the 49ers would have been in the Super Bowl again for the third time in a row.

You can also say the same thing about the Browns under Kosar. If Byner hadn't dropped the ball at the 2 yardline against Denver, Cleveland would have a Super Bowl from that era, and they probably never would have become the Ravens.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Exactly..... I never have liked the Patriots, or the Giants, but I did love those Bills.... making FOUR STRAIGHT Super Bowls is totally unheard of. Has anyone ever made it to even 3 straight before or since? I don't think so.......

If only their damn kicker didn't choke. Yet here you have New England with 3 rings from 2001-2004, all 3 came on game-winning FGs late.

Reverse the kickers and Jim Kelly vs Tom Brady?

• Like Like x 1
  8. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Montana will always be the consummate professional and the greatest QB of his era -- bar none. A man of distinction to be sure.

9. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I voted for Andre Reed to go into the HoF last year on the fan ballot and I will always believe that had Buffalo won just 1 of those Super Bowls, that team would have had a ton of HoFs besides Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, and Bruce Smith.

I would take the old Bills Defense over the Patriots D from their Super Bowl wins 10 times out of 10 though. They'd have their ring if it wasn't for Norwood choking, and the Rams would have 2 rings if only the refs didn't help New England get there against Oakland, and I really believe the refs missed a lot of calls in that Super Bowl (especially now that they have admitted to "going easy" on the Patriots in that game)

Other than Bruce Smith, I really liked Willis, and I can't think of the other guy's name that was a pass rusher. Ohhh I would have to break out Tecmo to start remembering their names, I was pretty good with their defensive unit, especially getting sacks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    Its official.

Rodgers is the best.

Even Montana says so :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +214
    I don't remember seeing Joe Montana play, but I for sure know of his accomplishments. He was a GREAT QB for sure. Probably one of Aaron's idols, as he grew up a Niners fan. To have your IDOL say that you are outpacing even HIM is pretty nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. greenandgold

Ratings:
    +473
    Boy, I sure do! I remember watching that pass to Clark to beat the Cowboys. That was one good game to watch.

13. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    That is pretty darn cool to get props from the man like this.

Now this is like instant material to snap back to trolls/haters/doubters. "Well Joe Montana said.......".

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pacal

Pacal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    That's cool since Montana is Rodgers' idol.

Rodgers wore an old Joe Montana shirt every time he played QB at Cal.

But Rodgers has never actually met Montana, though he does (of course) have a close relationship with Steve Young for obvious reasons.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    An interesting note here is that even though I agree Montana was the best QB ever (at least in clutch moments), he was a prick to Steve Young, and remained a prick to Steve. They are not even close to being friends still to this day, and I find that sad to be honest.

Even Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, 2 big rivals, became friends and still are. Same with Bjorn Borg & John McEnroe.
    I guess QB's are different. Favre & Rodgers relationship is as warm as the weather in January, just like Montana & Young. What's different between the Packer 2 and the 49er 2 QBs is that the 2nd one here is better and going to be more successful in the end. If we can just win this Super Bowl, that's going to be 2-1 for Rodgers already in Super Bowls, with everything else icing on the cake.

Of course Fahvray still is most proud of his individual achievements, his personal MVP's.

16. bhuggins

bhuggins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    The Miami Dolphins went to three straight Super Bowls losing the first one to the Dallas Cowboys then winning the next two against the Redskins and Vikings.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Thanks.... so 3 in a row has been done once before.
    But nobody since the Bills has even gone to 3 in a row, and they made 4. Impressive.

18. Pacal

Pacal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47

What's funny is that Montana actually uses "friend" to describe his relationship with Young in the Dan Patrick interview, even though they aren't friends.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/12/1...s-incredible-season-tim-tebow-peyton-manning/

I could sympathize with Favre and Montana.

I remember Rodgers saying (if I recall correctly) one of the reasons he was so good after he came back from the concussion was because he hated sitting on the sidelines for the Patriots game. He sat for three years, and didn't want to sit anymore.

I'm also assuming that he perhaps was fueled by all the praise Matt Flynn received.

19. greenandgold

Ratings:
    +473

Well, there's always that warm feeling between Rodgers and Favre.

Oh...wait...

20. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
    Favre said that Young was a prick to him when he was first coming into his own...don't remember the specifics but...I think it might be consistent amongst egomaniacal types, huh?

21. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    I think some of you are oblivious to Tom Brady's season. I hate him more than anyone in the league. I can't be that ignorant to say that rodgers is having a better season than that.

longtimefan edited your post...We dont need that talk here..