Joe Barry is our new DC

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the most attractive DC opening in the NFL in the last 2 years and Lefleur managed to fill it with a twice failed DC retread.

Cool.

Oh well, after how well Shawn Mennenga worked out I suppose I should err on the side of blind faith in his handpicked guys.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I know about this guy, but everything I've been reading up on him here and elsewhere I'm very uninspired. I've been very uninspired by this team for 2 weeks now. I hope it doesn't become a habit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LOL at the people already declaring this hire a failure.

Must suck to be that irrationally pessimistic.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh brother. If you are going to hire a retread, it should at least be a successful one.

Is this organization intentionally trying to run this team into the ground? What a horrible, horrible hire. There are 31 teams laughing at us right now.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry??? Not even one that was better than Jerry Gray!!! If I were Jerry Gray I’d be ready to say fyall....

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry??? Not even one that was better than Jerry Gray!!! If I were Jerry Gray I’d be ready to say fyall....
If I were Rodgers I would be in Gute’s office first thing Monday morning demanding to be traded.

Welp, we can kiss the playoffs goodbye for the next few years.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

U know you got me on top of the list lmao! You also know I’m sarcastic too

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not really. I'm optimistic about things that I am optimistic about. No one has declared this a failure. We'll see what happens. I hope it works out. I don't like it.

This may come as a shock to you but fans aren't required to love every move their team makes. You can disagree with something and still hope that it works out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm not going to declare this hire a failure, but I am extremely disappointed.

I guess I just really expected the Packers to go in a much different direction. Hard to understand how you go from offering the job to a 38 year old up and comer with no NFL coaching experience to a 50 year old journeyman, twice failed defensive coordinator.

The leap between those two is staggering to me.

Tough to imagine Barry really galvanizing that defensive unit and inspiring them to put out a product that is greater than the sum of its parts, like other great defensive coordinators are able to do.

The change from McCarthy to LaFleur was energizing and fresh. I was hoping for something similar to happen on the defensive side of the ball, but what will he be able to do that Pettine couldn't?

Like I said, I'm going to give the guy a chance. But I just really don't see him being a big difference maker.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good luck to mr. barry. i never even heard of the guy to be honest, so i'll just assume they picked they guy that thought would do the best job and hope for the best.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Hopefully not call Cover 1 with 8 seconds left in the half at our 40 and the opponent with no timeouts.
I said in the other thread that if it weren't for that play call, I would've preferred to keep Pettine over hiring Barry.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
like I just posted in another thread, I'm going to go with benefit of the doubt.

Not to mention the usual "I'm done with the Packers" crowd never leaves whenever they say it.

All that said man, I hope Barry proves us wrong and does what Pettine was unable to do. But I really can't blame the anti Barry crowd for feeling the way they do, and if he wants their respect, he's going to have to earn it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Bill Huber:

“In terms of scoring, Washington was 29th in 2014 before Barry, 17th in 2015 and 19th in 2016 with Barry, and 27th under Greg Manusky in 2017. Detroit was 30th in 2006 before Barry, 32nd in 2007 and 2008 with Barry, and 32nd again under Gunther Cunningham in 2009.“

Fwiw, when he was with Detroit, his best LB was Paris Lemon. Some of you GB fans will remember him as a special teams player here for a few years. That was his BEST LB.

I’m not saying Barry is the best, or even great, but man, there’s only so much a coach can do! If the players stink, they stink.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said numerous times that DCs need to be evaluated for their play calling, not the personnel decisions; I don't believe in just looking at defensive rankings and drawing conclusions based solely on those rankings. I hope Barry is phenomenal. That being said, MLF has taken quite a risk in hiring a guy that has only ever lead terrible defenses. Again, the personnel was probably terrible in those instances and I would imagine that Barry had the second best plan and ideas of all the DCs that were interviewed....but those rankings, whew! MLF taking a little job risk with this hire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts