Joe Arrigo's 2012 Draft Series: C Evaluations

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2012 center class is average at best. Peter Konz from Wisconsin is the only player that could go in the first round. The rest of the centers all have their flaws, but a few could pan out to be solid contributors to which ever team they end up with.

My Top 10 Centers:

1. Peter Konz – Wisconsin – 6-5 – 314:

The anchor of one of the best offensive lines in college football, Peter Konz proved to be a very reliable pivot man inside for the Badgers over the course of his career in Madison. A three-year starter with 31 career starts for Wisconsin, Konz is a former offensive tackle who owns great size and arm length (33 inches) for the center position. Built well with a thick upper body and wide base, making it difficult for defensive tackles to work around, Peter is a very reliable pass protector capable of stonewalling defenders at the line. Technically and fundamentally sound as a blocker, Konz proved to be a dependable anchor as a pass blocker, as he plays with the type of instincts, awareness, and understanding of the game that coaches look for in an NFL center. He does a great job of sitting back into his pass set while keeping his head on a swivel and taking on any incoming pass rushers. Peter owns nimble feet for the position with the ability to shuffle and mirror interior defenders inside. He also does a great job of extending his arms out coming to the aid of the guard next to him to double down on a bigger, stronger rusher up front. Konz owns a very strong grip needed to grasp the defender and lock on before neutralizing him for the rest of the play. He doesn’t possess ideal flexibility, but rather has shown enough of an ability to bend at the knees to consistently get underneath the defender to win the leverage battle at the point of attack. Peter has very good lower body strength and has the wide, balanced base needed to stand his ground as an anchor down low. As a run defender inside, Peter’s wide frame allows for him to swallow up smaller defensive linemen when he engages the defender off the snap. He comes off the ball well before taking on the defensive lineman and gains leverage by staying low and playing underneath the tackle, which then allows for him to use his lower body strength to push the defender out or away from the hole. He’s not a physically dominating blocker, being that he has below average upper body strength for the position (18 reps on bench), however he makes up for his lack of great strength with polished technique and fundamentals and understands how to play with proper positioning and angles. While not a full-fledged drive blocker, Konz at the very least has shown the consistent ability to use his agility leverage to turn the defender and wall him off from the play to open up a large running lane inside; he does a great job of gaining control of the defensive tackle off the ball before sealing him inside to give the ball carrier a gaping hole. Peter does a great job of firing his hands inside of the defender, and shows the same strong grip as a run blocker as he does in pass protection, allowing for him to take the defender out of the play entirely. In addition, he plays with the type of fiery, tenacious attitude that you look for and will consistent block through the whistle as he attempts to finish his blocks; he’s among the best in the country at sustaining his blocks after locking on. Owning good mobility for the position, Konz does a fine job of taking a quick bucket step and getting outside as the lead blocker on sweeps or screens. His flexibility limits him both outside as well as when he slides to the second level to redirect and take out a moving target, however when given the opportunity to gain full steam, any target in his direct path can be completely cleared out of the play with ease. Durability does figure to be a concern with Peter, as he missed time each of the past three seasons due to injury, including dislocating his ankle in 2011, which forced him to sit out of drills at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, an injury that NFL teams will surely examine before considering drafting him. Konz owns the intangibles and work ethic off the field that coaches and scouts desire at the position; he earned numerous academic awards over the course of his career and was a team captain in high school. Peter Konz owns the physical tools, instincts, and intangibles needed to develop into a very good starting center in the NFL.

For the rest of my Top 10 Center List go to The Average Joe Show Blog Site

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that David Molk is available to us late in the 4th round. I'm not a college talent
evaluator by any means, but most mock drafts I've seen have Brewster as the fifth best center
and you have him rated second.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Molk reminds me alot of Wells, his only real black mark is his mouth. I know he is over rated, but I feel Mike Brewster could really develop into something special on the Packers. I'm also tiring of undersized centers but considering the height of possible back-ups, we may need one. I REALLY want a big center... but I'll settle for Molk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts