JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Mee muh murmer!"

"Uhhh... what?!"

"Sorry, had to finish chewing that hunk of steak. I said meat is murder!"

Now if you was eatin on good black angus rather than that red stuff, or heaven forbid, a Hereford, wouldn’t have to chew as much.

I swear, and this is science by the way, tested and such, that people who grow and eat Hereford meat have the largest jaws known to man.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that Watt is seriously considering the Browns. Says they have a lot of the things he wants.
Also, the Panthers are releasing 2 time pro bowl DT Jawan Short today.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Cleveland is prepared to pay in the vicinity of JJ's recent 17 mill, then GB needs to make a hard pass. IMO signing Watt feels more like a heart decision than a head one.

Agree. I love the idea of Watt finishing his career in Green Bay, but not at anywhere near $17M/year. That is just too much and money that the Packers don't have to spend on the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be like Cleveland to do something DUMB to stall or slow down the immense progress they've gathered last couple years there like paying Watt 17M

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$17 million is probably market value for Watt at this point. It would put him 9th in average per year among edge rushers. This is why everyone has always said he'd have to be willing to take a discount to come to Green Bay. I can't call another team stupid for paying the market rate for a player...I can disagree on whether that team needed to spend that money at that position but paying the market rate for something is generally how things go.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be like Cleveland to do something DUMB to stall or slow down the immense progress they've gathered last couple years there like paying Watt 17M

I don't think they need to spend that much on Watt when they have Garrett but they do need to find someone to replace Olivier Vernon and Watt is probably worth the extra $6 million that they paid Vernon last year. Keep in mind that if Cleveland cuts Sheldon Richardson then they're only spending a net of $5.5m to upgrade from Richardson to Watt and that is CERTAINLY worth it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that Cleveland is sniffing at 17 million per but its likely that they are at the high end of potential suitors. The Market does not reflect competence or intelligence, just what some idiot is willing to pay.

I think the best comparison to Watt is not Reggie White but rather Charles Woodson. Now for the standards of the day we paid him a lot and the reward was well worth it. The trouble is that while no one seemed to want Woodson, there is a big big market for JJ Watt. Meaning that there could be a bidding war. Green Bay should make a respectable offer and thats it, Watt can decide if he wants to compete for a ring or go another dumpster team.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please no!! He's no Reggie or Woodson, lets stick to the plan of drafting average D lineman!! Kenny Clarke the exception

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t think it happens, I just think that’s the only way it happens. I’m sure there is mutual interest. But what he wants/deserves is likely going to be pretty far away from what the packers will/can offer.

The Packers could definitely offer Watt more than the veteran minimum. There's no way they will be able to afford paying him anywhere close to what he was scheduled to make with the Texans in 2021 though.

You have to go back to 2014 to find a season in which he was even within 10 points of his 2020 performance.

To be fair, there have only been a total of 13 quarterbacks combining for a total of 18 seasons in NFL history in which a quarterback posted a passer rating with 10 points of Rodgers' performance in 2020.

I just split his roster bonus over the remaining 3 years. Some cap guru is going to have to explain where the other $8m came from.

The Packers could convert Rodgers' base salary of $14.7 million as well as his roster bonus of $6.8 million into a signing bonus before the start of the league year. The move would allow them to prorate the cap hit over the next five years, resulting in cap savings of $16.125 million for 2021 (considering they would have to pay him the veteran minimum of $1.075 million base salary for 2021).

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that Watt does play on the edge occasionally, but he spends more time playing on the interior. He sure wouldn’t be an edge in GB.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'd do a lot of his rushing from the outside with Z sliding inside on passing downs. Watt's effectiveness out of the 5 and 7 comes his long arms, great leverage and just violent use of the hands. His mobility is still good, never was great but when you have his strength and dimensions you don't need that. He still shows plenty of initial explosion.

IMO he just played on a bad team last year and was doubled constantly. He wouldnt have that problem with us playing on the same front with Z Gary Kenny and Keke.

Members online

Latest posts