JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh awesome, heard Jones is gonna take a vet minimum too......must be nice living in a world which doesn't exist.

They're saying watts top end is 8.5 m a year...whatever one thinks of the guy there's no denying he's a massive upgrade over any dlinemen the Packers have had not named kenny clark.

I'm undecided personally but I can certainly see it happening the dots are not hard to connect

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense for Watt to sign with TB to replace Suh
That front of JPP Vea Watt Barrett Lavonte and Devin White have potential to be one of the best ever

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense for Watt to sign with TB to replace Suh
That front of JPP Vea Watt Barrett Lavonte and Devin White have potential to be one of the best ever

Id agree with that but a front with zadarius smith kenny clark, watt, Gary and a zaven collins or dylan moses type would be pretty nice too... especially when you add alexander, savage and amos to that group.

And there's gotta be something to be said for winning a super bowl for the team you dreamt about playing for in your backyard as a little kid...I'd say it comes down to 3 teams. TB best chance at super bowl GB chance at hometown team sb and pittsburgh steelers chance to win championship with his 2 brothers

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id agree with that but a front with zadarius smith kenny clark, watt, Gary and a zaven collins or dylan moses type would be pretty nice too... especially when you add alexander, savage and amos to that group.

And there's gotta be something to be said for winning a super bowl for the team you dreamt about playing for in your backyard as a little kid...I'd say it comes down to 3 teams. TB best chance at super bowl GB chance at hometown team sb and pittsburgh steelers chance to win championship with his 2 brothers

I like our chances to get Watt
Gute is proving to have a different approach to build the roster, not afraid to take risks
Traded in the first to get Jaire, Savage and Love
In 3 years he signed Mercedes Lewis, Graham, Muhammed Wilkerson, Breeland, Zadarius, Preston, Amos, Turner, Kirksey and Wagner
Additional Gute already mention Packers going all in 2021 to keep super bowl window open even if that means putting the team in a bad spot following years

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people really think he’d be that much better than Lowry?

Last year Watt had 14 TFL, 17 QB hits and 7 pass deflections being double teamed
Lowry had 2 TFL, 4 QB hits and 2 pass deflections while Clark and/or Zadarius were double teamed

Watt is much better against the run, not as effective pass rusher as earlier on his carreer, he just needs a fresh start, a new role on the team, play with better teammates and a different culture, he will be fine here

D

Deleted member 6794

The only way I would project JJ Watt to the Packers is if coming home to fight for a ring is more important than money (which is honestly could be for a player of that caliber). Because the Packers will not offer him anything more than a 1 year vet minimum contract.

It's amazing how many fans expect a player to take a huge discount to play for the Packers although that actually never happens. Watt definitely won't play for the Packers for the veteran minimum.

You're joking, right???

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk what were talking about here is paying probably around 8 m per on a 2-3 year deal.

Similar to when peppers signed after being released. Which is important because signing watt like signing peppers won't affect 2022 compensatory picks.

At that price id say it's worth a shot.

Over the past 3 seasons watt has played 32 of 40 games totalling 137 tackles 36 tfl 25 sacks 63 qb hits 14 pd 10 ff 1int 1 td

That's an avg of 45 tackles 12 tfl 8 sacks 21 qb hits 4 pd 3 ff and that's without accounting for the fact he played only 8 games in 2019 because I think that's part of the equation. I also rounded down on every single stat.

The Packers since they switched to the 3-4, have not once had that kind of season from a defensive end...having watt play that way could go a long way towards getting over the nfc championship hump. I think it's logical to believe watt would have a better season in green bay in 2021 than he did in houston in 2020. For that reason I think it's gotta be something that the Packers pursue. Also you can't double z.smith k.clark and j.watt

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know pff isbt perfect but watt at a grade of 85 and lowry had 57. That is an insane difference. Stats also back up the difference. Put watt next to Kenny Clark and smith/Gary and his pass rush numbers improve as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who's brandon Thorn and where would I find this?

But I do think Watt is better than Lowery. My only concerns, I think his body is breaking down and it's going to be a quick slide. I'm not sure he'd be available except on a strict pitch count and even then, will he be available for when the games really count? and cost. he might not break the bank anymore, but he's likely not going to be cheap either.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It's amazing how many fans expect a player to take a huge discount to play for the Packers although that actually never happens. Watt definitely won't play for the Packers for the veteran minimum.

You're joking, right???

I don’t think it happens, I just think that’s the only way it happens. I’m sure there is mutual interest. But what he wants/deserves is likely going to be pretty far away from what the packers will/can offer.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But I do think Watt is better than Lowery. My only concerns, I think his body is breaking down and it's going to be a quick slide. I'm not sure he'd be available except on a strict pitch count and even then, will he be available for when the games really count? and cost. he might not break the bank anymore, but he's likely not going to be cheap either.

He was one of only 2 dlinemen to play over 1,000 snaps last year. Yes, he could get hurt but this if football and that's true of many. Watt is going to be in high demand I haven't seen much to say he won't be worth it over the next couple of seasons.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brandon Thorn is a guy on Twitter who does mainly OL and DL analysis. He’s very good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People who think Watt would come play here for the vet minimum are off base, but so are people who think that signing him is a non-starter.

The cap is real, but it's a lot more malleable than people give it credit for. The Packers can structure new contracts or restructure old ones in order to push cap liability into the future. That bill will come due and they will have to absorb the consequences of pushing all those cap hits into the future. But in the short term, they can continue pushing to win a ring with Rodgers playing at a high level.

Members online

Latest posts