JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

D

Deleted member 6794

Cap implications aside, if used properly he could still be a big help and give you big plays here and there. Even in decline he's a huge upgrade over Lowry and Lancaster.

There's no doubt Watt would be an upgrade but the Packers most likely don't have the space to fit a deal for him under the cap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watt is done in Texas.. he has made ton of money, if Rodgers does do a redo(?) to free up space, might be possible.

I was and am against it. But one stat stood out and that was tipped passes. I think He had the same amount as when he was def player of year

I still think he doesn’t come here, but his passion and play on passing downs might be worth kicking the tires

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt is done in Texas.. he has made ton of money, if Rodgers does do a redo(?) to free up space, might be possible.

I was and am against it. But one stat stood out and that was tipped passes. I think He had the same amount as when he was def player of year

I still think he doesn’t come here, but his passion and play on passing downs might be worth kicking the tires

Problem is that after drafting a QB first round, does GB want to restructure Rodgers contract? Unlikely.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is that after drafting a QB first round, does GB want to restructure Rodgers contract? Unlikely.

I think they would with his present level of play. Love wasn't drafted to definitely be Rodgers successor, but with the hope that he would be. Meaning he has to earn it. In Rodgerscase if not for his improvement during the 07 campaign its likely that the Packers would have brought Favre back in 08.

Replacing Rodgers might, and probably will take multiple picks in the first 3 rounds just to get a winning starter. Which is why its better to start now than 3 years from now. Check Love out, see if he develops and if not move on. Even if he does turn out they'll still hedgetheir bets with a round 2 or 3 qb in a couple of years just to hedge their bets. Just as with Rodgers when they drafted Broom and Flynn.

If Rodgers wants to be competitive i could see him restructuring his contract with an eye towards a Lombardi. Right now he's gotta have an eye on his legacy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they would with his present level of play. Love wasn't drafted to definitely be Rodgers successor, but with the hope that he would be. Meaning he has to earn it. In Rodgerscase if not for his improvement during the 07 campaign its likely that the Packers would have brought Favre back in 08.

Replacing Rodgers might, and probably will take multiple picks in the first 3 rounds just to get a winning starter. Which is why its better to start now than 3 years from now. Check Love out, see if he develops and if not move on. Even if he does turn out they'll still hedgetheir bets with a round 2 or 3 qb in a couple of years just to hedge their bets. Just as with Rodgers when they drafted Broom and Flynn.

If Rodgers wants to be competitive i could see him restructuring his contract with an eye towards a Lombardi. Right now he's gotta have an eye on his legacy.

Drafting a QB in the 1st round means you were drafting his replacement. Your comment on drafting multiple guys would be if you were drafting guys in round 3 or later.

And, live every other post that tells a player to take a paycut from their employer, I must say that's a silly idea and, frankly, utterly ridiculous. Example: Rodgers just watched Gute draft a QB in round 1...why would Rodgers think Gute would spend the money Rodgers gave up to improve the team immediately?

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it would be wise for them to let Preston Smith go and use his $ for JJ. They could sweeten the deal by adding Love to the deal as they will be a QB hungry team.....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it would be wise for them to let Preston Smith go and use his $ for JJ. They could sweeten the deal by adding Love to the deal as they will be a QB hungry team.....
Watt makes a lot more money than Preston.
Perhaps even trading both of them for him?
Trade Love and lose cap space on the deal

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers converting Rodgers' base salary and roster bonus in a signing bonus would free up $17 million of cap space for next season. With unused cap being allowed to roll over into next year it doesn't make a difference in the long haul.

And, live every other post that tells a player to take a paycut from their employer, I must say that's a silly idea and, frankly, utterly ridiculous. Example: Rodgers just watched Gute draft a QB in round 1...why would Rodgers think Gute would spend the money Rodgers gave up to improve the team immediately?

Nobody is suggesting Rodgers should take a pay cut but to convert his base salary as well as his roster bonus into a signing bonus to save cap space for 2021.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a QB in the 1st round means you were drafting his replacement. Your comment on drafting multiple guys would be if you were drafting guys in round 3 or later.

1) There isn't a scout in the business that doesn't look at draft picks as if they are rolls of the dice. There isn't a scout in the business that does not realize that MOST QUARTERBACK PROSPECT WILL FAIL. Why did the Packers draft Brian Brohm in the second back in 2008? Now if Love turns into good looking prospect on the bench then great the Packers might even move on from Rodgers if his game slips or if he's hurt for a significant period of time. If Love doesnt develop, which he probably wont they get a do over. This is just plain old not stupid football operations. Not least of which is because it's easier to develop a young quarterback on the bench. Like I said if Love doesnt show steady progress expect to see another QB prospect taken in rounds 2-3 within the next year or two followed by a potential future first rounder 4-6 years from now.

2) If Rodgers wants to maximize his chance of another ring he really might try to lessen his contract hit next year. The reality is this, there has never been a quarterback who did not need talent around him to succeed. Rodgers restructuring his contract could be the difference between granting a 3-4 year extension to an All Pro center versus being forced to let him walk. Does he have to? No. But from a competitive standpoint it makes sense for him to do it.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not think Watt will be traded and I think if he is, the Packers could use that money in better ways.

D

Deleted member 6794

There isn't a scout in the business that does not realize that MOST QUARTERBACK PROSPECT WILL FAIL. Now if Love turns into good looking prospect on the bench then great the Packers might even move on from Rodgers if his game slips or if he's hurt for a significant period of time. If Love doesnt develop, which he probably wont they get a do over. This is just plain old not stupid football operations.

Gutekunst better was convinced that Love will develop into at least a decent starting quarterback while trading up for him in the first round last year.

If he took your approach the move was even more stupid than it already is.

If Rodgers wants to maximize his chance of another ring he really might try to lessen his contract hit next year. The reality is this, there has never been a quarterback who did not need talent around him to succeed. Rodgers restructuring his contract could be the difference between granting a 3-4 year extension to an All Pro center versus being forced to let him walk.

In my opinion Rodgers agreeing to convert his base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus should be a no-brainer.

The Packers shouldn't use the cap space saved to re-sign Linsley though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst better was convinced that Love will develop into at least a decent starting quarterback while trading up for him in the first round last year.

If he took your approach the move was even more stupid than it already is.

My approach with respect to draft picks, is akin to understanding that Santa Claus isn't real. Most quarterbacks fail, and a significant number of draft picks fail as well. Understanding that quarterback is the toughest position to draft and understanding that Aaron Rodgers will not play forever makes it imperative that the team get started trying to develop his successor sooner than later. If Love develops awesome, if not they get a do over later. Why else was Brian Brohm selected in the second round in 2008? It's not whether or not a GM of rudimentary basement level competence thinks a QB will succeed. It's whether or not the chance of success is reasonable enough to justify the pick. I'd argue that even a 33% chance of successful development is worth the shot at this point given how hard it is to draft a QB. If a GM does not understand this then he has no business being a general manager on this league, he should be writing draft analysis for publications and blogs.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suppose a first round selection has a 25% chance of being more than just an acceptable starter but a franchise quarterback, which is too high IMO. Then consider that a well scouted second rounder has a 10% chance(too high), so the Packers hedge there bets with a second rounder in a year or two and then if Love and second rounder don't look too promising look for another first rounder and possibly someone in rounds 4-7. Suddenly you are looking at much better odds of success in the post Rodgers era.

After all, if drafting a quarterback in the first round is stupid with a hall of fame quarterback then how do you explain the selection of Aaron Rodgers 15 years ago?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Raises hand, asks to be called on) Because the HOF QB could not be counted on to be there?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait, so even if one has a HOF QB, in his prime, and happy, the choice at #1 is a QB? There wouldn't be another position player in the same tier that they might be able to utilize more?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watt has absolutely zero trade value to anyone, unless he is willing to renegotiate his contract before the trade. No way is a new team taking on his $17.5 M final year of a contract. Teams will wait for the Texans to cut him and then go after him in Free Agency.

Loved the old JJ, but I wouldn't want to tie up too much money to get the now shell of the player he once used to be. Cut Lowery, use the $3.3M saved and another $3M from the money saved by cutting Kirksey and perhaps. I still would view him as a band aid and one that you really can't and shouldn't count on for making it through the entire season.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers is the mvp and restructuring him would also open up cap space this year. That first round QB is a nobody and shouldn’t be considered when you’re talking about the reigning mvp and structuring him. Much greater chance Love flames out and is a career backup than becoming a good starter in this league. If we can restructure Rodgers, keep him here and happy while opening cap space to sign some of our important guys, you do it and forget the rookie who hasn’t played a snap and not let that affect more important decisions imo.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Raises hand, asks to be called on) Because the HOF QB could not be counted on to be there?

That and the reality that any football career can be cut off in a hurry.

Wait, so even if one has a HOF QB, in his prime, and happy, the choice at #1 is a QB? There wouldn't be another position player in the same tier that they might be able to utilize more?

There were likely a few factors that went into picking Rodgers when they did and Love. Part of it was the intoxicating potential of both young prospects. Part of it was the idea of hey its better to develop a quarterback on the bench than in the line of fire. Personally then and in hindsight I would have taken Patrick Queen, it's not that I think taking Love then was the right choice but I get the reasoning behind it. I think they saw him as an artificially diminished prospect who lost all of his supporting cast his final year and thus struggled. If he had another year like his Junior campaign he might have gone in the first 16 picks. Gute probably figured he would be taking a QB high either last year or this year and decided that Love had much more value than whoever might become available in the future.

Same thing with TT's decision to take Rodgers, who was knocked as being a Tedford product.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do we not have a drooling emoji?
probably pie in the sky here, but he is one guy that i think would actually consider a GB discount
i don't even know how good he still is or whether he's reliably able to stay on the field
but he's been one of my favorites for a long time, and it would be sick to see him in GNG

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll not be cheap, but structured the right way, he could help us.

The offer needs to reflect his age and his injury history. As should his usage. Assuming there is mutual interest, he should be paid and used as a part-time 5T end and 3rd down rusher. I'm thinking like every other series as 5T and rusher whenever appropriate.

I will admit, I'd love a Nascar package (ala the Giants) featuring Gary, Z, Watt, and Kenny. Plenty of rush and it wouldn't be an easy front to run against either.

That said, I have no idea how much he has left in the tank or how much he thinks he's worth this point in his career.

EDIT: I forgot to mention contract.

In order to fit him, I'd assume a 3 year deal to give him a suitable signing bonus with the understanding that he is likely cut after year 2. Dude is getting old.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to pontificate but if I had to come up with a top 3 spots for him in no definite order it would be:

Green Bay: Because he's a Wisconsin kid

Dallas: Because in his video he says he loves Texas

Pittsburgh: To play with his brothers

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Wherever he ends up I wish him all the success. A genuinely good guy for his community and as a football player.

Members online

Latest posts